Author Topic: Where to download Avast 6 - Avast 7 is too buggy at present  (Read 30477 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Where to download Avast 6 - Avast 7 is too buggy at present
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »
I saw something about Chrome and default browser in some section
Troubleshooting tab of avast! settings.
The best things in life are free.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
I saw something about Chrome and default browser in some section
Troubleshooting tab of avast! settings.
Thanks.

One question: Does checking or unchecking that option have any effect on whether or not Chrome gets installed on a system doing an auto-update?

Saulius

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
+1 there Tech on that, cheers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »
One question: Does checking or unchecking that option have any effect on whether or not Chrome gets installed on a system doing an auto-update?
I think not. The programmers could say more.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »
I think not. The programmers could say more.
Cool. Thanks. Maybe the programmers could post a comment later on as far as what checking/unchecking that box actually does.

Saulius

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »
Checking or unchecking the "Do not use Chromes as avast! default browser" doesn't seem to do anything!

While testing this I uninstalled Google Chrome and opened Avast! and performed update checks and went to the Support Tab and clicked on a few buttons that would open up links previously in Chrome by default, but now they had switched over to the system default browser and used that, so I checked/unticked the "Do not use Chromes as avast! default browser" a few times and after re-boots for nothing while Chrome was no longer present on my system.

Once I returned Google Chrome back onto my system both checking & unchecking the "Do not use Chromes as avast! default browser" didn't do anything to return Avast! to use Chrome by default again, even after re-boots and I even restored Avast! back to original default settings in the troubleshooting tab. Bah!

It seems that only a full complete re-install of Avast! a fresh with the option to both install and use Google Chrome by default for Avast! accepted will work, that check box does nadda unless I'm missing a trick.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:09:30 AM by Saulius »

hairyhaggis

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »
Sure. You're installing a free software, receiving free support... For that, there are some agreements that could allow the company to road. The details and aspects of these agreements always make the company to take decisions. You can't force a freeware product to be opt in, but you should allow the users to opt out ever.

i installed the paid for version and have been getting no end of grief. locked machines, hanging on bootup forcing hard restarts, cpu racing etc etc. this is worse that that stupid pirate popup you did about a year ago. i said i would leave avast then but through laziness i kept on with it. this time....kaspersky!

aVastSeaofSun

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »
This may be ok?

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

when downloading this, it states that it will instead update to the latest version - and tries to install version 7

anyplace still have avast 6 or even avast 5?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
This may be ok?

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

when downloading this, it states that it will instead update to the latest version - and tries to install version 7

anyplace still have avast 6 or even avast 5?
Does this work http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/11113/

Rick F

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »
After you download ver 6 to your desktop, disconnect from the Internet so it won't try to update. Once ver 6 is installed, go into 'manage update' and set it to manual. Then you should be alright.

Sent from iPad

bpsanborn

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:38 PM »
I am trying to fall back to AIS 6.0.1387.  I have uninstalled AIS 7 and run awsclear.exe.

When I execute "setup_ais.exe" with my internet adapter disabled... I get a dialog box saying that it is old release and the installer will install ver 7 instead.  If I say OK it then stops immediately with a error log display.

How were you guys able ti fall back to ver 6?

Offline claudiubotezatu

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »
Change your PC date to 2011 and you will not get that message anymore; register Avast and you will get a message from avast to fix the date, say OK.
But first check the option to program update manually.

Claudiu

bpsanborn

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »
Claudiu,

I uninstalled everything again, ran awsclear in Safe Mode, changed my system date back to May 31st, 2011 and installed 6.0.1367.  The date change worked and it did not force a download and install of ver 7.  I have virus updates on automatic and program changes on manual.

All is back to where I was on ver 6 and working fine. Even Windows Action Center is happy.  Thanks for the help

Brian

eastwick56

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 08:09:49 PM »
I installed version 7 with a clean install a few months ago and have had nothing but problems from day one!

Please...WHERE is the last version 6 that I can install without it upgrading it to version 7 and how do I prevent it installing Chrome or tool bars? Does the avast uninstaller aswClear work to entirely get rid of 7?

Every one I know hates version 7 and went to AVG and have NO problems now. Yikes, what's happened to avast?
Thanks for any help, I'm technically challenged!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »
eastwick56, millions of persons are using version 7 very happily. It does NOT include toolbars and Google Chrome is optional (not mandatory).
It is very stable. You can try to solve any issues getting help here in forums.