Author Topic: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall  (Read 83866 times)

drew316

Re: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »
Same problem here on a vista 32bit machine.  update stopped last night after a 1/4 of the way, now any attempt to update, uninstall, or manual update gives error message that has avast5\setup in the address line for some reason, even though I have 6 and am trying to get 7.  error is all zeros, last action is "spawning".

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
OK. No need to post anymore, the issue is known and as stated above a fix is coming in a couple of hours.

Thanks.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Joseph Collins

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
- wait for a specialized program that will resolve the problem (we will be publishing it later today).

The problem happened because an invalid definition file was uploaded to our server, and was being sent out to clients. The program I mentioned will replace this bogus file with the correct one.

I apologize for the inconveniece.
Vlk
You know what?  It's okay.  I was personally upset when avast! stopped wanting to update and have been displeased by the whole v7 experience so far, but as I figured, you guys are trying to fix it, so I'm more than willing to let bygones be bygones.

Thank you for letting us know what's going on.  Here's to a speedy and satisfying conclusion to this black spot on what's otherwise excellent service.  :D

koam

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »
I'd like to know how this planned fix relates to the pages of issues with v7 that we're seeing here:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Does it mean that users of v6 who are currently affected by this lockup (currently unable to update program or engine & definitions), will now be able to upgrade to v7 but then become subject to all the ongoing issues noted in the forum? 

I ask because I'd just like to be able to get definitions for v6 when that's fixed and then be advised when the v7 issues have subsided before I upgrade the program. 

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:12:46 PM by koam »

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
OK. No need to post anymore, the issue is known and as stated above a fix is coming in a couple of hours.
Thanks.

Will it solve the problem of a sandbox (security check)  - You know that warning Sandbox jumps very often ... ?
Thx

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »
I rather doubt it as it has nothing to do with the autosandbox, but a corrupt virus definitions update, that has effectively locked the update function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

robertaitaly

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »
Ciao a tutti, sono nuova del forum. Mi sta anche bene aspettare che esca una patch per l'aggiornamento del programma, però sono preoccupata per l'aggiornamento dei virus.... non fa neppure quello.
Mi dispiace, capisco abbastanza l'inglese ma non so scrivere.

Tetsuo

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »
Ciao a tutti, sono nuova del forum. Mi sta anche bene aspettare che esca una patch per l'aggiornamento del programma, però sono preoccupata per l'aggiornamento dei virus.... non fa neppure quello.

Purtroppo il problema coinvolge anche l'aggiornamento delle definizioni dei virus. In pratica ogni tipo di aggiornamento è bloccato.
Questa sezione è dedicata solo alla lingua inglese ma se hai altre domande o ti servono informazioni, contattami pure via PM (ti risponderò domani però, sorry)

Ciao ; )
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:46:42 PM by Tetsuo »

been

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
Is there any news on the fix? Failing that can anyone please confirm that it's safe to use aswclear while this update lock problem exists?

robertaitaly

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:30 PM »

Purtroppo il problema coinvolge anche l'aggiornamento delle definizioni dei virus. In pratica ogni tipo di aggiornamento è bloccato.
Questa sezione è dedicata solo alla lingua inglese ma se hai altre domande o ti servono informazioni, contattami pure via PM (ti risponderò domani però, sorry)

Ciao ; )

Ciao Tetsuo, grazie mille per la tua gentilezza. Non devo fare altro che aspettare, pertanto, come tutti, per il momento. Se avrò bisogno maggiori dettagli, ti contatterò via PM. Ora posto ancora qui, perché non ho installato il relativo programma di messaggistica.

chimp78

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:10 PM »
Is there any news on the fix? Failing that can anyone please confirm that it's safe to use aswclear while this update lock problem exists?

Hence to the people who used the aswclear, it worked for them. Make sure to follow the instruction that it shows. I have not used it yet, but am waiting for a tool/program to come out anytime to fix/repair the issue first. If that does not work, then will use the aswclear lastly.

been

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »
Thanks Chimp78, I think I shall probably follow your lead and wait for the fix before doing anything drastic. I'm just getting a bit fed up with the whole thing - I've already had to change settings (switching rootkit scan off and Avasst to load after other services) to stop a hanging problem at start up).
I've used Avast for years and it's generally been a superb product and one that is provided for free (for which I'm very grateful)... but I can't help but feel that Avast have let themselves down with version 7. AV software really shouldn't be released until it's been fully and thoroughly tested and I'm not convinced that that's the case with this release.

Tommy81

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »

Thanks.
Hi Vlk,

We get the fix here on the website or by updating? Is it ready?

Thanks

chimp78

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
been, I know. I have been used Avast for few years with no problems until this one. Hopefully, it all will be solved soon as possible.

Tommy81, I think we will need to download it here and at Facebook, to fix/repair ourselves after it comes out, at least it is what Vlk said.

been

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
I think it's safe to say that we won't get the fix by updating! I'm assuming that a link will be posted to it on this thread given that Vlk has answered posts here.