Author Topic: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall  (Read 83861 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
<snip>
We get the fix here on the website or by updating? Is it ready?

I guess if you currently can't update, then you probably won't be able to get it through the update function.

So the most likely route would be being notified in the forums, with a link for the fix.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MsAdelle

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »
My XP computer is also doing this, maybe 3 days now. I use Avast Pro

It will not update (program or virus database)  and a manual attempt does nothing, it just hangs. Uninstallation does not work as it wont allow aswclear. I just get a message saying the source file cannot be read.

If I look for repair in the add/remove programs there isnt one and it wont uninstall from there either. Same message - source file cannot be read.

Does anyone know when the "fix" will be available please?

been

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »
To be honest I'm now becoming worried and a little angry. It's hours since the fix should have become available and there's no word from Avast ... and with people reporting that aswclear doesn't work I'm becoming concerned that the OS could become corrupted. I really wish someone would at least give us an update.

slybo

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:47 PM »
Sorry but I am a little confused. I have two computer, both updated to 27-0 this morning. I was gone most of the day and just turned them back on. One updated to 27-1 the other one shows 27-0 in red. The one that updated to 27-1 is ok? Only need to run the fix, when issued, on the one showing 27-0 in red? Since I turned them on one after another why did one appear ok, is this not happening to all computers? Really need to know if I should do both when fix comes out. Thanks slybo

been

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:32 PM »
I would guess that if you've been able to 27-0 then you're probably ok.

slybo

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:57 PM »
Do not think you understand, the one with 27-0 is in red because it will not update and it knows it is not up to date with 27-1. I know I will have to do that one, I am more interested in the one that got the 27-1, why it updated and is it possible that it got the bad file and I also need to do that one. Thanks slybo

chimp78

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:35 PM »
I know. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94486.msg752544#msg752544

There is another option to do, but I still prefer to wait for the program. We have been waiting since this morning, at least, it is to me. If it is not ready today until tomorrow, I don't know what to say/do else, but to be forced to use aswclear to uninstall ALL Avast Versions or the one I posted above?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 11:54:22 PM »
It's coming soon - it's just being tested as we speak...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hermite15

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
It's coming soon - it's just being tested as we speak...

nice thx ;)

chimp78

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »
Thank you. Hopefully, it will solve our problem. We will look forward to it.

koam

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:25 AM »
I'd like to know if this fix just allows us to get the new Virus Definitions for v6?

Because of all the other reported issues with v7, I'd like to wait and upgrade after things have calmed down.

TomTech71

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 12:25:22 AM »
So, knowing how this is all going down is great for us monitoring this thread, but how is the general public going to know how to fix the Version 6 problem (much less the Version 7 mess)? I would expect that most won't even realize there is a fix. A lot of them will send there computers to 'Geek Squads' who probably won't have a clue either...

I have lots of clients out there that use Avast, due to my recommendation. I already am aware of one who has the Version 6 problem. I can inform them...but, what of the rest of the 'uninformed'?

TomTech71

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 12:38:39 AM »
(Followup on my last post) I find that the one client with the V6 problem had actually done the smart thing and uninstalled to reinstall. They state that nothing wants to install now.

Will this 'fix' clear that up as well?

Do I want to suggest them moving on to V7 with all the problems being shown?

I had updated a Win7 Pro to V7 first thing this morning (not knowing). Since then, it's had 2 BSOD episodes. BugCheck says Avast Virtualization was the reason.

I experienced Avast upgrading without permission yesterday on a WinXP Pro unit at home. I definitely hope this does not occur on any of the 25 win7 units running Avast Pro here at work.

been

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 12:58:57 AM »
I decided that av software exists to give peace of mind and Avast no longer provides it. I successfully uninstalled with ASWClear and am now using MSE until I decide on a permanent solution (probably Eset). I've used Avast happily for years so this really is very sad.

MsAdelle

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »
Thank you VLK, I will wait for it to be ready.

been -  these things can and do happen. No antivirus software is above not having its little glitches here and there. Best to find out whats happened and then see what can be done to fix it. Most of the time the techs are aware of it but they need time to solve the glitch  :)