Author Topic: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall  (Read 83857 times)

sedina

Re: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2012, 01:18:36 AM »

been

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 01:26:14 AM »
I understand what you say MsAdelle but Avast has just caused me too much stress the last few days. Like I said I'm very sad to be ditching software that I trusted so much for years until the end of last week.

hardov

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 02:07:29 AM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94514.0

thanks,
Pavel

What is this?
this not the fix that we are waiting right??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 02:14:24 AM »
What is this?
No? What were you waiting for?
The best things in life are free.

hardov

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 02:35:44 AM »
What is this?
No? What were you waiting for?

Someone post this: I have version Avast Free version 6.0.1367 with update 120226-4.

This will now not auto-update or allow programme version updates.
It will also not allow uninstall-reinstall or repair. It will also not allow a manual update of definition files.
Both uninstall and updates fail with the error message attached.

I am remotely accessing this machine so I cannot use "aswclear" in safe mode either.

The computer is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

Any suggestions ?

with thanks

And i have the same problem in my other computer.

So VLK post :

If avast got into the state where it "hangs" when you attempt to invoke an update (either virus definitions or program update) you will have to manually fix it by downloading the program I mentioned.

This happened to people who tried to invoke a PROGRAM update in the last ~12 hours (from within the avast UI).

Thanks
Vlk

So where is the fix?

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 02:40:30 AM »
Read up about 5 posts.  ::)

It is here. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94514.0

hardov

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 02:43:46 AM »
Read up about 5 posts.  ::)

It is here. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94514.0

well that fix doesnt fix anything in my other computer!

Any help?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 02:51:09 AM »
If the fix reports you don't have the problem it was for, your problem is more likely to be this:
- The error you are getting, a fatal error on avast.setup will require a clean reinstall of whichever version that you have.

There is no repair option. I get the attached when I click on ADD/REMOVE:

I think you are going to have to do a clean install and may be quicker in the long run.

- if you want to retain avast6 you need to have saved the installation file or get a copy from filehippo.com, use the Mirror site yo download the last version of avast6 as their main site has the wrong link (it is also for avast7).

This is if you want to install avast7:
- Download the latest version of avast, 7.0.1407 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that, very likely, start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hardov

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 03:18:52 AM »
If the fix reports you don't have the problem it was for, your problem is more likely to be this:
- The error you are getting, a fatal error on avast.setup will require a clean reinstall of whichever version that you have.

There is no repair option. I get the attached when I click on ADD/REMOVE:

I think you are going to have to do a clean install and may be quicker in the long run.

- if you want to retain avast6 you need to have saved the installation file or get a copy from filehippo.com, use the Mirror site yo download the last version of avast6 as their main site has the wrong link (it is also for avast7).

This is if you want to install avast7:
- Download the latest version of avast, 7.0.1407 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that, very likely, start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Yes is true ,  i reinstall avast, and no more problems, Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 03:24:38 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tobias4051

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »
There are two ways to solve the problem:

- uninstall using aswClear, and reinstall
- wait for a specialized program that will resolve the problem (we will be publishing it later today).

The problem happened because an invalid definition file was uploaded to our server, and was being sent out to clients. The program I mentioned will replace this bogus file with the correct one.

I apologize for the inconveniece.
Vlk

Hi,

Where did this file come from? Was it from outside of avast? Were computers that had this bogus file as the definition file vulnerable or unprotected?

ady4um

Tobias4051

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94514.0
Thanks, I got the fix from this page, and it worked for one computer.

When I clicked to run this fix on the other computer, it gave a message that the problem has now been fixed and did I still want to run the fix, I clicked no. Avast updates fine of both computers now.

I was wondering if the computers were unprotected during the time this incorrect definitions file was installed, was it harmful, or if the computers were vulnerable to malware that might still be there?

REDACTED

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
Will it solve the problem of a sandbox (security check)  - You know that warning Sandbox jumps very often ... ?
Thx

Can anybody point me what I need to do about Sandbox problem and how to solve it?
I have send sample application on Sunday, but I think they have much to do those days ...
What else I can do, because I'm shareware author and need some solution regarding this problem.

I'm just asking for some word about AutoSandbox future, and what can I (as developer) do?
Someone told that digitally sign a exe will not solve problem, OK, but what can solve it?
I can not send each exe to Avast so they can "approve" that this exe is not suspicious.
Please advice

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 01:52:47 PM »
<snip>
I was wondering if the computers were unprotected during the time this incorrect definitions file was installed, was it harmful, or if the computers were vulnerable to malware that might still be there?

Essentially the only problem was the inability to update the signatures, etc. other than that the program should have worked as normal. You should have seen that in the avast tray icon rotating when things were scanned. Looking at the various stats you would also see the activity.