Author Topic: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall  (Read 84068 times)

ady4um

Re: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
I was wondering if the computers were unprotected during the time this incorrect definitions file was installed

Although I'm just a user and not an Avast Team member, my understanding is that you computer was not "more in danger", generally speaking. Was still protected, but with an "older" database. Here I'd say that "older" is a _very_ relative word. If you are not catching the ultimate last hot latest malware that just came out (depending for example on the type of web sites you visit), then you should be fine (you were still protected, with a database some hours old).

@freecrm...,

I think that you need an answer from Avast Team only (not from anyone else). May I suggest looking for the "contact" page in the support website? There is nothing wrong in asking your very valid question here, but I think Avast Team should be able to answer you better through that method. Of course, maybe some Avast Team member could see your question and com up here to answer.

Tobias4051

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 02:06:24 PM »
<snip>
I was wondering if the computers were unprotected during the time this incorrect definitions file was installed, was it harmful, or if the computers were vulnerable to malware that might still be there?

Essentially the only problem was the inability to update the signatures, etc. other than that the program should have worked as normal. You should have seen that in the avast tray icon rotating when things were scanned. Looking at the various stats you would also see the activity.
Thanks for the reply.
Because the definitions file had been called 'bogus' earlier, I wasn't sure if the file came from avast or not.
If the file did come from an outside source, the definitions that were loaded could have been false, avast might have been doing no good.
Is this something to worry about?

Although I'm just a user and not an Avast Team member, my understanding is that you computer was not "more in danger", generally speaking. Was still protected, but with an "older" database.
Can anyone confirm, was it just an older version on definitions from avast?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:08:35 PM by Tobias4051 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
<snip quote>
@freecrm...,
I think that you need an answer from Avast Team only (not from anyone else). May I suggest looking for the "contact" page in the support website? There is nothing wrong in asking your very valid question here, but I think Avast Team should be able to answer you better through that method. Of course, maybe some Avast Team member could see your question and com up here to answer.

freecrm... has been given that advice before, in one of the many posts he has scattered around.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »

REDACTED

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
freecrm... has been given that advice before, in one of the many posts he has scattered around.

I have posted question using contact form, and posted example app.
As I see, Avast team have lot of work regarding wrong upload of virus definition.
Because that, they are very busy and I understand - they can not answer to each ticket same day.
Because of that, I think that someone from Avast team watch this forum from time to time, and will see my question, and tell me:
you need this, this and this to avoid Sandbox message.

As you all know, I'm shareware author, and from Avast7 release to today, my software have been downloaded about 50 times (my estimation).
If I loos only one customer because of Avast popup's screen, it is enough for me.

I will not loos any customer because someone have changed rules and will not answer what to do (or have not time or whatever).
Maybe I do something wrong, but I have learned - always is better to do something, even wrong, as do nothing.

So people, who have some idea how to solve that problem ? :)

ady4um

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »
@freecrm...,

You should quote correctly next time. As I already said, there is no problem with you posting the question.

REDACTED

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
@freecrm...,

You should quote correctly next time. As I already said, there is no problem with you posting the question.

Not sure about your point. Please do not touch my messages if you can not help regarding my problem.

joncjones

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »
OK - in response to my original question which starts the thread:

http://public.avast.com/supp/FixUpdate.exe this worked perfectly for me - thanks guys.

J

wojahnhk

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
Ok, so I have the same problem with Avast as of yesterday, however, I can not get into safe mode on my computer (its a laptop with a broken screen so i had to hook it up to an external monitor).. I dont know what to do.. i would like to be protected, but it wont allow me to uninstall avast so that i can get it fixed.. any suggestions?

joncjones

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »
This fix does not require safe mode. I just completed it via a remote access session.

wojahnhk

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »
This fix does not require safe mode. I just completed it via a remote access session.

how were you abl to do that.. mine wont let me.. i keep getting error messages

joncjones

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
just
ran the fix
allowed it to update itself
then restarted the computer (important i think)

then it was all fine

wojahnhk

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
ah.. i see.. well i'm in a pickle then cause it wont let me remove it.. the self-defense mode wont disable

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
ah.. i see.. well i'm in a pickle then cause it wont let me remove it.. the self-defense mode wont disable

What is it that you are trying to do ?
As the self-defence module should only get involved if you are trying to modify or delete an avast file or trying to run aswclear.exe from normal mode and not safe mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wojahnhk

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
i am trying to remove avast as I was one of the victims of yesterdays update bug.. its not running, it wont let me update, or remove it... and I can't even run the awsclear thing because the self-defense mode wont disable..