Author Topic: avast detects mbamswissarmy.sys file as a rootkit  (Read 4355 times)

mesamit

avast detects mbamswissarmy.sys file as a rootkit
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »
i think mbamswissarmy.sys file is a part of malwarebytes antimalware.....and avast detects it as a rootkit...i have attach image along with the post....

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: avast detects mbamswissarmy.sys file as a rootkit
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »
You can and maybe should add the MBAM program file to the exclusions list in file system shield and settings exclusions, iv had no detections yet myself but with the new avast 7's ability to scan more thoroughly it might be a wise idea - thats if your using version 7 anyway but i still think its better to exclude both programs from each other for compatibility and it may even make your system run lighter.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
There are instructions for ruinning avast and Malwarebytes together at the Malwarebytes forum. With the correct exceptions set there are no conflicts.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »
There are instructions for ruinning avast and Malwarebytes together at the Malwarebytes forum. With the correct exceptions set there are no conflicts.
That would be here http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=417798 scroll to section k.

claprood

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »
I have mbam but not that sys file so maybe you should scan it here just to be sure
https://www.virustotal.com/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »
The problem being, excluding that file or MBAM files wouldn't change this detection as it is the anti-rootkit scan and doesn't use the conventional signatures or exclusions (I believe).

So there is little point in uploading to virustotal as it can't replicate the anti-rootkit scan.

I have avast and MBAM Pro installed on this xp pro system and avast isn't alerting on the mbamswissarmy.sys file (if that is the one in the alert image as it isn't shown).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:31:47 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security