Author Topic: Scan Log Showing "File is Decompression Bomb" and Avast! Freezes  (Read 3280 times)

Jessethelawyer

Scan Log Showing "File is Decompression Bomb" and Avast! Freezes
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
HI-

First time posting to just about any forum so, please, be gentle.

On Windows 7 64-bit Home edition I using the newest Avast! 7.

After a very thorough scan, including a removable HD I use as a back-up drive G: (using Windows' native back-up software) and then a Boot Scan (as recommended by results of first scan) the one trouble I am getting that I cannot figure out certainly on my own:

Many files on my G: drive are showing up in the scan log/report as "File is Decompression Bomb" and I cannot do anything.  Yes, it is on a drive with many compressed files (backed up data).  Also, it is showing it is associated with cache of older, uninstalled versions of Java.  I have fixed the problem of Java remnants so a regular scan does not show these files.
Perhaps importantly, it is not finding these files from the most recent back-up sets (e.g., last night's).

1.  I am still concerned, despite all I have read, because the log/report shows Severity as HIGH.  The status is always Threat: Java-Agent xxx.
I cannot copy and paste a screen shot for 2 reasons.  One is it will not let me copy and past, and it is very long with many uniquely named files.

2.  And this is my second major issue:  When I click in the log area, it suddenly goes milky white (white but translucent) and then Avast! is frozen solid. Task manager will not turn it off.  The only way I can reset it is to re-boot the machine.

Should I continue my concern about the Decompression Bomb messages?

Why in the world is it causing Avast to fail on me? 

BTW:  Did I post this in the right place?  I really have never understood forum posting (though otherwise pretty savvy with machines).  And I never understand how it is, with all the posts in a forum, how anyone will come upon this question and take the time to answer it!

Thanks in advance for your time and help!  Jessethelawyer   :) ;) :D >:(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Scan Log Showing "File is Decompression Bomb" and Avast! Freezes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:27 PM »
Instead of copy and paste......use screenshot

Crop the picture so only necessary info show.....You may also save as gif to make it smaller

Also search the forum for decompression bomb and You should find lots of info

Jessethelawyer

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
Pondus!
Thanks, now I know people may respond and I will get an email if they do.

I am very appreciative of your time.  I tried to cover two things in my original post:

1.  I HAVE scoured all the info in other posts already yet I am not certain nor convinced, especially b/c no one has yet discussed the specifics of "Severity" and "Status", the appearance on my report I wrote out.

2.  One of my bigger problems I wrote about in my original post is that when I click on the Report, Avast! freezes!  In fact, now that I look at it, this is in the subject of my post.  Yes, a milky white translucent cover comes over all open Avast! pages if I just click on the Report when it's showing all these hits for decompression bomb files and NOTHINIG will shut it down.  As I already wrote, even Task Manager cannot shut down the Avast software at that point and the only way to get it corrected is to re-boot my machine.
Is this the way it is supposed to function?

I would really appreciate if you are able to help me with these problems.  And I am so, so sorry if I did not make these clear in my original post.  As I said, I have never posted to a Forum before so I kindly asked that the community be gentle  :P

Lastly, is it terribly wrong to have posted AFTER I read all the information in the forums if I still had questions, and different questions than what is already covered?  My understanding of community would be I can join a discussion in progress especially if I can add something new. Thank you so much for your kindness!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
Lastly, is it terribly wrong to have posted AFTER I read all the information in the forums if I still had questions, and different questions than what is already covered?
absolutely not....i was just telling you how to find more info if you did not know

1.  I am still concerned, despite all I have read, because the log/report shows Severity as HIGH.  The status is always Threat: Java-Agent xxx.
I cannot copy and paste a screen shot for 2 reasons.  One is it will not let me copy and past, and it is very long with many uniquely named files.
you say always....so you find this all the time ?.....do you move to chest ?
whwer is it located ?
do you have latest java version ?

2.  One of my bigger problems I wrote about in my original post is that when I click on the Report, Avast! freezes!
any other security programs installed ?
is your computer new ?
did you just install avast ?

Jessethelawyer

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:53 PM »

you say always....so you find this all the time ?.....do you move to chest ?
whwer is it located ?
do you have latest java version ?

I meant to say on each line item in the Report/log after the scan, for each file that is what is shown in each column. In other words, each file has same info (of course, other than what is specific to file name).

I cannot move to chest although I have a setting to move to chest.  And this is one of my main problems here:  I can't do anything!  :)  In other words, I look at this Report and it's showing all these file names and with all the information as already described.  The action column shows the option "move to chest" is selected for each one. 
However, when I try to click "Apply" at the bottom of the window or otherwise click in the window more than 3-4 times, it then freezes as I have described.  And it freezes the entire Avast program, not just the Report window.  This is the 2nd time I saw this "freezing behavior". Originally I did a scan and the Report showed me similar results with these files on my G: drive (that's my back-up, remember).  That report indicated some Processes could be infected so I ran the boot scan.  So this is the 2nd time I am having this same problem with "Decompression Bomb".

Not sure what you mean "where is it located"?  Perhaps I have answered in saying all these files are part of my backed up data, using Windows 7 native backup utility, on to a removable G: drive.

Yes, I have latest Java.  Based on my prior reading I: Deleted my Java, went and found any and all leftovers after the uninstall, and then reinstalled a fresh Java.

any other security programs installed ?
is your computer new ?
did you just install avast ?
[/quote]

I have Windows Firewall off.  Microsoft Security Essentials is active.  No other security programs installed.
The machine, Dell Inspiron 15r, is relatively new.  I started using it brand new out of box August 2011.  Shamefully, I admit I ran with no security programs other than MS Security Essentials for a long time.
Yes, I just installed Avast! 7 Pro (I think it's Pro....the version with all capabilities including the Firewall) yesterday.

I hope this additional info goes a good ways to helping you understand my problems here.  I cannot tell you enough how profoundly grateful I am for your interest and time and kindly consideration.

Jesse ;D ;D

P.S. I just previewed this message and apparently I am clueless how to use the Quote function.  I apologize, I will need to read that.  Uggh!