Author Topic: IMPORTANT! Fix utility for corrupted avast! v6/v7 installations  (Read 159895 times)

chimp78

Re: IMPORTANT! Fix utility for corrupted avast! v6/v7 installations
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 03:30:22 AM »
Ok, this is strange. In Program Files, there is no Avast, but Alwil Software, and then inside that, it is Avast5. But, it is Version 7 that was installed , not Version 5. Does Avast5 means Version 5? I used Avast for few years and it was fine until upgraded to V7 and then it has an issue, etc.

Right now, it shows 120226-4 and 7.0.1407.

I can't remove it from Add/Programs because it stated reading product error which shows C:\Program Files\AliwilSoftware\Avast5\Setup\

I guess I would have to uninstall it with aswclear and then install it again with either V6 or V7?

I think I should do this tomorrow as it is a bit late.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:36:03 AM by chimp78 »

slybo

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 03:31:08 AM »
Ran CCleaner and restarted computer and then Cloud Serviced now showing connection established. Maybe I just did it at the right moment in time and the servers came up or maybe it worked by removing some junk. Anyway wanted to post in case it helps someone. slybo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:51 AM »
@ Joseph Collins, beaker1024
If the fix doesn't work for you, e.g. it is reporting you don't have the problem the fix was for, etc.  You have the Fatal Error relating to avast.setup and a clean reinstall is probably the best/quickest option if you don't want to await the outcome of your email for another fix.

See my post here for more info - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94395.msg752978#msg752978.

Ok, this is strange. In Program Files, there is no Avast, but Alwil Software, and then inside that, it is Avast5. But, it is Version 7 that was installed , not Version 5. Does Avast5 means Version 5? I used Avast for few years and it was fine until upgraded to V7 and then it has an issue, etc.

Right now, it shows 120226-4 and 7.0.1407.

I can't remove it from Add/Programs because it stated reading product error which shows C:\Program Files\AliwilSoftware\Avast5\Setup\

I guess I would have to uninstall it with aswclear and then install it again with either V6 or V7?

I think I should do this tomorrow as it is a bit late.

It isn't strange to have ALWIL Software as the folder, if you updated from avast5 to avast6 that folder name (and sub-folders), etc. would have been retained, the same would be true of the update from avast6 to avast7. If you do a clean reinstall at any point then the folder name would be changed to AVAST Software, etc.

But, yes it looks like a clean reinstall will be required for you with the fatal error.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 03:56:25 AM »
tried fixupdate.exe here but did but it gave me error code 11, update still stuck at initialization.

i proceeded to try to uninstall via windows uninstaller, Avast! setup produced fatal error (did not save a screenshot of it)

so i went through the following steps after that:
1. Download a fresh Avast! 7 package from http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
2. run Avast! uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (please do it in SAFE MODE!   )
3. reboot to normal windows mode
4. install the fresh package

problem solved.

on a side note, i tried windows uninstaller after that, it did not produced fatal error message anymore.
any idea if the corrupt update will affect Avast! setup/uninstaller?

system specs: Windows 7 32bit sp1 running programmes: kingsoft pc doctor 3.3, comodo firewall 5.9
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:00:08 AM by AntiVirusASeT »

chimp78

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 03:57:49 AM »
Ok, thank you. I will be doing that tomorrow.

hayc59

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 03:59:04 AM »
Fix worked here all back to what ever is called 'Normal' LOL

MsAdelle

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 04:12:18 AM »
Fix worked for me too, all good here. Thanks Avast

koam

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 04:16:17 AM »
I believe that I do have the problem that this fix is intended for, but I got Error 11.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.  Avast! version 6.0.1367.  My virus definitions are  120226-4.

Yesterday I received an Avast! pop up saying there was a new version of the program.

I tried to upgrade the program in Avast!  It stalled.

I then rebooted and tried again.  Stalled again.

After that I tried to update my virus definitions... that also Stalled.

To quote VLK: 
"If avast got into the state where it "hangs" when you attempt to invoke an update (either virus definitions or program update) you will have to manually fix it by downloading the program I mentioned.

This happened to people who tried to invoke a PROGRAM update in the last ~12 hours (from within the avast UI).

Thanks
Vlk"

That describes my experience exactly.

I cannot update my virus definitions by using Maintenance in Avast!...hasn't worked since yesterday and seems to exactly fit this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94454.45  Topic: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall

I just ran FixUdate.exe and received Error 11.

So the FixUpdate didn't work for me, but from what I've read in this thread and the one linked above, I thought that this problem did apply to me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:26:25 AM by koam »

Kilia

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 04:17:25 AM »
Once again I managed to avoid a bad VPS file. I've never been bitten by one yet . ;D
How do you do? Or, better, what did you do? ;D
I never boot up until the afternoon here. The late afternoon usually and so far all the bad updates have been the first one of that day. I almost never get those.
What part of the world are you from?? ;-)

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:06 AM »
I also experience this problem but FixUpdate.exe just returns Code 11 and problem persists. :(
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:58 AM »
at NON, Koam: try a complete uninstall

1. Download a fresh Avast! 7 package from http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download (to reduce chance of corrupted install)
2. uninstalling Avast! the normal way with windows
3. run Avast! uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (please do it in SAFE MODE!   )
4. run the uninstall utility (2 TIMES) total, one for Avast! 7
5. reboot and go into safe mode once more, second time for Avast! 6 (this is because i noted u have updated to Avast! 7 from Avast! 6)
6. reboot again, this time to normal windows mode
7. install the fresh package
8. please report ur findings here =)

Note: if u receive fatal error through normal uninstall in step 2, skip that step and go to step 3

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:42 AM »

1. Download a fresh Avast! 7 package from http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download (to reduce chance of corrupted install)
2. uninstalling Avast! the normal way with windows
3. run Avast! uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (please do it in SAFE MODE!   )
4. run the uninstall utility (2 TIMES) total, one for Avast! 7
5. reboot and go into safe mode once more, second time for Avast! 6 (this is because i noted u have updated to Avast! 7 from Avast! 6)
6. reboot again, this time to normal windows mode
7. install the fresh package
8. please report ur findings here =)

Note: if u receive fatal error through normal uninstall in step 2, skip that step and go to step 3
Thanks AntiVirusASeT, I just want to report there is a case this tool does not work.
I know the re-installation sequence, as I do and advise it many times before :)
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

koam

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 04:57:45 AM »

Is there a way for me to stay with 6?  I see so many issues with 7, that I'd rather wait til those have settled down.  Thanks.

Rick F

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 05:29:01 AM »

Is there a way for me to stay with 6?  I see so many issues with 7, that I'd rather wait til those have settled down.  Thanks.

Koam,

Yes there is.  Instead of downloading ver 7, download ver 6.0.1367 from link below and then follow the instructions for an un-install re-install.  Be sure to run the awsclear utility in safe mode... probably twice, once for ver 6 and once for ver 7 to be sure. Then reboot into normal mode and install ver 6.

Here's a link for ver 6:

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/11113/

From the linked page above, be sure to click on "FileHippo Mirror" link as the green download error for some reason will give you version 7 and not ver 6 (see image below).  You can verify it's correct by file size, ver 6 is 61.2 meg instead of 71.4 meg.  They're both labeled ver 6, but FileHippo messed up one of the links it seems.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:33:11 AM by Rick F »

Dch48

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 05:56:11 AM »
Once again I managed to avoid a bad VPS file. I've never been bitten by one yet . ;D
How do you do? Or, better, what did you do? ;D
I never boot up until the afternoon here. The late afternoon usually and so far all the bad updates have been the first one of that day. I almost never get those.
What part of the world are you from?? ;-)
I'm in New York state in the good Ol' USA.