Author Topic: avast coverage on "virtual XP" needs separate install?  (Read 1675 times)

William35453

avast coverage on "virtual XP" needs separate install?
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:40:56 AM »
i'm running Window 7 pro and have downloaded the XP 'virtual machine' to run software that will  not operate on Win7. now i've been told on several forums that the installation of avast on Win7 will not protect any operation in the virtual XP, that it is as if it were a completely separate machine and therefore will require another install of avast on that system. so i would have two installations of avast on the one computer. now, i have not yet done this and i have the little avast icon in the tray that spins when avast is functioning and when i connect to the internet with the XP, i can observe that it spins as i navigate to a safe website--so, that indicates to me that avast IS working to protect the XP connection even though avast is not installed in that operating system. can anyone address this? do i really have to install it again in the XP system? i worry about interacting conflicts with two separate installations. thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast coverage on "virtual XP" needs separate install?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:49:13 AM »
The traffic between the virtual machine and the internet is still scanned by Web Shield resident on the Win 7 host machine.
You can install in the virtual machine. Both installations do not conflict.
The best things in life are free.