Author Topic: Avast won't run, please help  (Read 6574 times)

runtotorun0121

Avast won't run, please help
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:56:41 AM »
I have had problems over the last year with Avast, but I don't want to give up on it because it was the only program that cleaned up my computer when I first downloaded it.  I had been having a difficult time removing a virus.  Some programs wouldn't find it, and others couldn't remove it, but Avast fixed everything.

However, for the last year I have had nothing but difficulties with scanning files, error messages, etc.  Even with that I still limped the program along until finally, for the last several months, I can't get the program to run.

I am desparate because right now I have four viruses that won't budge with any other program.

When I try to launch Avast I get the splash screen, but then it freezes.  The memory test does not run.  I even have a hard time closing the splash screen.

When I first started having this problem I uninstalled it and reinstalled from website download.  Still the same problems.  Tech support never answered my original questions about the error messages over a year ago, so I do not have faith I will get any response to this question.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

My OS is Windows XP.

Thanks,
Kristie

galooma

Re: Avast won't run, please help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 06:21:05 AM »
hi and welcome Kristie,
1 Can you give us a lead as to what programs (mostly security) you are running alongside Avast! as these may be the problem  we need to address .
2  did you have another A/V on before Avast! and what was it ?
3  Are you sure you have a clean system when you installed?
4  You mentioned win xp  do you have at least 128 mb memory ?

runtotorun0121

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 06:38:23 AM »
Okay,
This may be annoying, but try to think as though you are talking to a realllly computer illiterate person.
I will try to answer your questions, but I may have to ask questions in order to figure out how to find the answers for you.

1.  Someone installed EZ AntiVirus on my computer.  I don't know how to exit it, and I have been guarded about doing any uninstalls yet since before when I had nothing on my computer I still couldn't get Avast going.  And I fear I need something.
     Although I do have SpyBot and Ad-Aware SE Personal.   
     Don't know if those matter to you to know.

2.  I always has downloaded the Avast! Home edition.  Never Pro.  Can't afford it right now.

Do you need a version number?  I don't think I have the old exe to look

3.  What is a "clean system," and how can I find that out?
I do have an archive virus, and I have three or four other ones that showed when I tried the EZ AV, but it couldn't delete, rename, or move them.

4.  I have 256 MB (and I had to have help finding that out!  If that gives you some idea of how little technology I know)

In the past I have researched viruses and spent hourrrrs getting them out manually, but my hope is I can get my Avast! working.  You cannot imagine how scary it is for me to try to fix things when I know so so very little.

Thank your for the time you have already taken, and thanks in advance for your additional time and help.

Kristie

galooma

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 06:50:36 AM »
ok thanks for that info that gives me/us something to go on . I presume when you rum spybot and/or adaware you update them first and when run they come up clean except maybe a few harmless data miners.
 That being the case i also assume that you have no firewall, this is one type you really need to consider and there are plenty of free ones around . as you can see Zone-alarm is fairly popular and simple to install.thats not gonna get Avast! running though .
Can you go to control panel / add remove programs/ hit avast / you should get option to repair installation
try that and get back to us

you must get EZ uninstalled if its still there as it and avast will clash
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 06:52:17 AM by Cloussau »

runtotorun0121

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 09:45:30 AM »
Hi there.
Thanks for your knowlege.
I have the Windows firewall.
Is there anyway to keep the firewall up and stop the virus protection, or do I have to uninstall the whole EZ Pack?  I am fairly sure this firewall that is showing up is part of EZ VP, and I am just wondering about the firewall.
You mentioned the firewall I see you have.
This is a good one?

runtotorun0121

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 09:47:47 AM »
P.S. I think I may have had Zone Alarm before on this computer.

It won't interfere with Avast!?

And yes, I had a few things Ad-aware caught, and I deleted them.  Not many and nothing major.

galooma

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 09:51:24 AM »
are you now telling me you have the firewall/antivirus from E-trust and not EZ antivirus? if thats the case then its not a problem, it just means you already have a firewall and there is no need to have Zone alarm or for that matter the windows firewall either.
The first priority is to decide which antivurus you think is going to serve you best and remove the other . Do that and then you have a fighting chance.

runtotorun0121

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 09:57:28 AM »
In going to look at the Zone Alarm download I read this article.

This is what I have:  http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,117422,00.asp

It came on a CD.

When I click on the icon in my system tray it starts up saying EZ trust Anti Virus.

And this is the program that found the viruses but can't do anything about them.
I thought maybe Avast! could since it helped me before with some viruses that weren't taken care of by other programs.

Any ideas?

runtotorun0121

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 10:00:07 AM »
Oh, and the Windows firewall looks to be part of the service pack because it shows up in "Security Center" in control panel with the Virus Protection and the and auto updates.

galooma

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 10:04:17 AM »
windows firewall is a part of windows and if no other is installed then it should be activated
if you have one through e-trust as you indicate then it (windows firewall) should be OFF
 Have you made up your mind on Avast! or EZ antivirus ?
im happy to guide you but this decision must be made

runtotorun0121

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 10:09:51 AM »
Well, I don't know if the firewall is through E-Trust or it is on its own.  I only know the Windows Firewall shows in the new Security Center icon that was a part of the security pack.

Since I can't do anything with the viruses with E-Trust do you think it is a good idea to go ahead and go with Avast?

I may not be able to post again until tomorrow.  I have to be up for work in 5 hours.

Hope I haven't taken too much of your time, and I hope you will still be able to help me through this process later.

Kristie

galooma

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 10:11:16 AM »
thats ok there`s lots of friendly people here
I think its obvious that Avast is going to be best for you as you get to come back here and learn how to get the best out of it . That is the one advantage that e-trust can never supply

with that in mind i reccomend you go into control panel / add remove programs / find the EZ antivirus entry and click remove

post back when its gone and we will get your avast working
good luck

Gillie2tat

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 03:39:38 PM »
Just one point I personally wouldn't use the XP firewall - I now have XP 2 and you can select your choice of firewall by going Start-Control Panel and going into the XP2 Security section by clicking on the icon in the Control Panel, the option is in there for selecting your firewall.

There are a number of good free firewalls around, no need to pay for one - you could use Kerio or Sygate.

I agree I'd stick with Avast, I've been using it since last May and it is really good, also the customer support is second to none:)