Author Topic: Need for a special version of Avast 6.0.1367 to install over 7.0.1407  (Read 2883 times)

hake

For all those who have caught by a bad experience with Avast 7 and who wish to revert to Avast 6 for the time being, would it be possible to provide a version of Avast 6 which can install over Avast 7 and retain the settings?

It is possible to copy the program settings files to a place of safety, run aswclear.exe, reinstate the program settings files and then install Avast 6.  This may be beyond many users so an automation of that procedure would be desirable.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:56:06 AM by hake »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Need for a special version of Avast 6.0.1367 to install over 7.0.1407
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
For all those who have caught by a bad experience with Avast 7 and who wish to revert to Avast 6 for the time being, would it be possible to provide a version of Avast 6 which can install over Avast 7 and retain the settings?
At the top of the avast free/pro/suite page there is a pinned topic on a new fix that was made to fix the corrupted vpx code in the 7.0.1407 installer or just installing avast 7 from scratch now works fine.
Im using avast 7 with OP 7.5.2Pro an there are no issues.

Fix is here http://public.avast.com/supp/FixUpdate.exe
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:02:18 PM by craigb »

hake

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
I can't use Avast 7 as it stops an important app from working.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
which component of Avast! 7 is stopping it from working?

will adding the app to exclusions help?

if not please post system specs and perhaps the name of the app for Avast! developers to see to it  :)

hake

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
I am pleased to say that there is no problem.  I had thought that Dreamweaver 4 had been broken but that is not the case.  What puzzled me was that the Edit menu of the document window of Dreamweaver 4 took a long time to drop down.  I am now of the opinion that Avast is not to blame (it does the same when I tried AVG, the less of which said the better - very slow performance).  I just noticed the Dreamweaver behaviour coincidental with the installation of Avast 7.

I have given Avast 7 a good going over on a spare system drive and find that Avast 7 makes the system seem quicker including web access.  It behaves well for me on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system.

I would be very pleased if Avast can make Script Shield work with Google Chrome (yes, Google Chrome is enabled in Script Shield main settings).  It does work with Avast 6 on a more or less identical system to the test version I have been using today.

It takes time to absorb the differences in system behaviour.  What I am learning is that Avast 7 is a job well done and I look forward to the little rough edges being smoothed in subsequent program updates.

As far as Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5.2 is concerned, Avast 7 seems to effectively disable the real-time antispyware feature but Web Control works properly.  I conclude that Outpost Firewall works well with Avast 7 and that doing without Outpost real-time antispyware benefits performance.

My verdict on Avast 7:  :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:11:21 PM by hake »

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:11:34 AM »
could u change the title to *solved* (original title).

glad its working well for u  ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »
I am pleased to say that there is no problem.  I had thought that Dreamweaver 4 had been broken but that is not the case.  What puzzled me was that the Edit menu of the document window of Dreamweaver 4 took a long time to drop down.  I am now of the opinion that Avast is not to blame (it does the same when I tried AVG, the less of which said the better - very slow performance).  I just noticed the Dreamweaver behaviour coincidental with the installation of Avast 7.

I have given Avast 7 a good going over on a spare system drive and find that Avast 7 makes the system seem quicker including web access.  It behaves well for me on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system.

I would be very pleased if Avast can make Script Shield work with Google Chrome (yes, Google Chrome is enabled in Script Shield main settings).  It does work with Avast 6 on a more or less identical system to the test version I have been using today.

It takes time to absorb the differences in system behaviour.  What I am learning is that Avast 7 is a job well done and I look forward to the little rough edges being smoothed in subsequent program updates.

As far as Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5.2 is concerned, Avast 7 seems to effectively disable the real-time antispyware feature but Web Control works properly.  I conclude that Outpost Firewall works well with Avast 7 and that doing without Outpost real-time antispyware benefits performance.

My verdict on Avast 7:  :) :) :) :) :)
Im glad you solved it hake  :) i also posted in your topic at the Outpost forum mentioning that the spy and web modules of Outpost firewall aren't really neccesary or benificial with avast  ;)