Author Topic: help me in the virus section - thank you :) i can't delete this thread  (Read 4092 times)

sweetalmond2010

Hi

i am new to the forum, and need help please.

iv had to restore my computer yesterday due to avast not updating or doing anything, and i think it could stem from being targeted by the ransom virus (i was telephoned from someone in i think ocotboer/november last year saying they were calling from liverpool microsoft office because my computer was sending them notifications that my computer was infected, and so i allowed them to show me the area of the computer (prefetch file) that i did not know about because (i am a novice and hate computers) and then i said ok, i dont want to be scammed   
thank you for any help you can give. 

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:16:32 AM by sweetalmond2010 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: help please - Avast won't update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »
when you say restore computer...what do you mean....did you sett it back to a older restore point  (will not remove virus)
or did you use the recovery partition/cd and sett it back to factory install ?

sweetalmond2010

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
well i had to do both, i tried the first one yiou mentoned first.  I still had problems, and the antivirus refused to work, so i had to do a partiall restore which worked alot better, the computer seems alot happier then it did when i did the thing that sets the computer back to two days ago.

i forgot to add, i have a Packard Bell which thankfully has its own restore program on the computer that seems thankfully to never get corrupted, i am always hard hit with viruses even though i rarely do social networks. but since having the packard bell, restoring is much easier for me. once a year i have to restore the PC now, whereas before it was 56times a year even with having avast. the viruses that target me are getting through the avast.  i even paid for norton once, and the updated sasser virus got through that and the repair man even phoned norton to ask why, and they said id been infected before the patch was due out  :o

thank you for replying.   :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:14:52 AM by sweetalmond2010 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:11:04 AM »
Was your computer deliverded with a preinstalled AV ?
Did this come back When You did the recover ?

You Can only have one AV installed ?

sweetalmond2010

Re: help please :-) - Avast won't update - iv partially restored the PC
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
sorry went off on wild tangent

i have 1 antivirus installed (avast) but it wont update.   I think because the virus i think i had (randsom) (oct/nov 2011 hit the computer.  i have uninstalled avast.   reinstalled avast.  restored pc (windows vista x64 packard bell) to 2 days ago.  I have partially restored the pc. i only use avast! free, windows defender, ccleaner, whereas with my old pc i used everything because we get hit so much.

i have tried from anpother post here, to use that update fix patch for avast, but i got the error saying "installation does not seem to have the problem this fix is supposed to solve (code 11)   

when i try the update on either virus database or the program, they both say 'package broken'   and yet the antivirus is running and says the computer is secure.......

sweetalmond2010

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
btw i just wondered if there is a reliable online scanner that could help me if avast! is broken, i have it quick scanning at the moment, but i doubt it will detect anything.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »
btw i just wondered if there is a reliable online scanner that could help me if avast! is broken, i have it quick scanning at the moment, but i doubt it will detect anything.
Try malwarebytes antimalware.    Www.malwarebytes.org

sweetalmond2010

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:01:38 AM »
 :) thank you i will try it,

the quick scan finished and said no virus found, and yet many have been able to slip past avast! and i am not a techie.  is it the computer or avast! do you think that is causing the problem?  avast! just wont update at all. 

i just wondered, - do i have to uninstall avast! first before i use this new scanner? i'm having to download it, and i am able to download and my internet is being better than yesterday.  i just do not understand why avast! is being so difficult.   thank you for helping me :-)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:08:54 AM by sweetalmond2010 »

sweetalmond2010

Re: help please :) - Avast won't update - iv partially restored the PC
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
i read elsewhere about trendmicro which i thought was dodgy but am downloading that scanner too just incase.  i just hope that if it finds a problem it can fix it.  trendmicro is safe?  ???

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
i read elsewhere about trendmicro which i thought was dodgy but am downloading that scanner too just incase.  i just hope that if it finds a problem it can fix it.  trendmicro is safe?  ???
You cant have Trend installed on your system with avast, that is two AV's  :o as pondus suggested use malwarebytes and you can also run superantispyware.

sweetalmond2010

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »
eveything i have downloaded will not run!    the programs are antivirus and they will not load, i just get error messeges, now what?  :-[ 

sweetalmond2010

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »
You cant have Trend installed on your system with avast, that is two AV's  :o as pondus suggested use malwarebytes and you can also run superantispyware.

umm it was meant to be an online scan, but i had to download an item, and when i tried to run it, i got an error messege, and nothing will load or run  :-[  i think a complete restore is in order, yes? perhapsi still have the ransom virus? i do not know what it does.

sweetalmond2010

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
any suggestions please?  should i completely retore the pc? or is it just avast?   

whenever i download a program it will not load, it says files are corrupted

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:16:12 PM by sweetalmond2010 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »
any suggestions please?  should i completely retore the pc? or is it just avast?   

whenever i download a program it will not load, it says files are corrupted
As you may have a infected system then i suggest to move your questions to the viruses section http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0
Or you can follow through with a full factory format, i think you might have installed so many tools and AV's that it'll be hard to remember which one's and to clean them all out properly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:19:02 PM by craigb »

sweetalmond2010

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:27 PM »
ohhhhhhhh i am in the wrong area, typical me  ;D   thank you,  :)