Author Topic: Can Avast Roll Back Program Update Notice Pop Up?  (Read 3167 times)

Jack 1000

Can Avast Roll Back Program Update Notice Pop Up?
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »
Greetings Avast,

I know a couple of years ago on two separate occasions, Avast "rolled back" a virus definitions update that was bad and they posted about this in the blog:  I found one incident here from December 2009:

https://blog.avast.com/2009/12/10/bad-definition-update/

Given that the release of Avast 7 caused so many problems, if this next update causes issues like 7.0 did, will Avast be able to rollback the "A Program Update is Available" message?  (Like they did for the December, 2009 situation?

Can the Avast team go into general information about how a Program Update rollback would be handled if it needed to take place?  Would the steps be similar to the Update Definitions rollback described above?

Let's say that in three weeks or whatever, I get a program update. (7.xxx, or whatever?)  If I want to wait to install the update,  when would I be notified again?  Assuming that the Program Update would NOT be pulled and all is well?

No problems to report since the clean install with the previous removal of ALL Avast versions with the Avast uninstall Utility.

Jack
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:36:23 AM by Jack 1000 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can Avast Roll Back Program Update Notice Pop Up?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
There's no rollback on the user's side.
What is described there is basically just an infrastructural change - that makes it possible to take the previous (old, good) files and release them quickly as a new virus definition update (thus overriding the current bad virus definitions). But it's "just" a new definition update with an older content - the versions have to go up all the time, it's not possible to go backwards.

Jack 1000

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »
There's no rollback on the user's side.
What is described there is basically just an infrastructural change - that makes it possible to take the previous (old, good) files and release them quickly as a new virus definition update (thus overriding the current bad virus definitions). But it's "just" a new definition update with an older content - the versions have to go up all the time, it's not possible to go backwards.

Thanks Igor!

Jack

damaris02

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
Helo!
  Can someone help me please!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
Helo!
  Can someone help me please!

You have to be a little bit more specific...!!! ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0