Author Topic: Upgrading to Avast 7x results in losing control of files/folders (Access Denied)  (Read 41673 times)

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Thx skipm,

I compared your FS filter list with one which XanderK posted. Two matches are there: DLAIFS_M and WavxDMgr. WavxDMgr is document encryption driver from Wave Systems. DLAIFS_M is part of Sonic DLA. Are you willing to perform quick test? Rename c:\Windows\System32\dla\dlaifs_m.sys to c:\Windows\System32\dla\dlaifs_m.sys.tmp on afflicted machine, then reboot. If problem persists, then problem is probably caused by a conflict between Avast filters and WavxDMgr.

skipm

I confirmed that it is the WavdxDMgr.sys that is causing the problem.

Thank you Spec8472!

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Thanks skipm, that is crucial information for me.

I confirmed that it is the WavdxDMgr.sys that is causing the problem.

Thank you Spec8472!

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Hi,

http://public.avast.com/~hasik/aswSnx.zip archive contains aswSnx.sys file, which should solve this issue. Please use this file ONLY IF:
  • You have 7.0.1426 version installed
  • You have Windows XP 32 bit (This problem occurs on this platform only)
  • You are experiencing this problem

To install this new file:
  • Disable avast self-defense (uncheck "Settings->TroubleShooting->Enable avast! self-defense module")
  • Replace %WINDIR%\system32\drivers\aswSnx.sys with the new one
  • Reenable self deffense
  • Reboot

kjacksonak

I have been following this thread for a few weeks and this did the trick.  Thanks for the research and help.

skipm

Thank you for the fix!

Offline mraymondi

Dear Spec8472,
I have same trouble notified by Skipm and Xanderk. I followed your fix path and now it seems to work. My SO is Windows XP 32 bit, SP2 and I have moved from Avast 6 to version 7.0.1426  too.

Thanks
Mauro

XanderK

To Spec8472:

Sorry for not replying any earlier however I have not been following this thread lately since the reported problems disappeared after some time.

So updating from Avast 6.x to Avast 7.0.1407 and updating from Avast 7.0.1407 to 7.0.1426 resulted in the same reported problems (losing control of files/folders) however they also disappeared in both instances.

At this point have I not installed your fix since the problems just don't (seem to) exist anymore on my end. However they might pop-up again after an Avast update...

Should we continue to investigate this strange behavior and/or the unidentified fix? Do you have an explanation why the initially reported problems disappeared after some time?

Thank you, Xander

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team

Hi XanderK

problem depends on actual minifilter configuration on afflicted machine; this applies especially for filters placed above aswSnx. AswSnx could fail FltGetFileInformation call called from upper minifilter under specific circumstances. Unfortunately some upper filters are not able to deal with such situation and they block file system operation completely. Hotfix I posted to this thread will be integrated to next release for sure.

rb-arch

Spec8472

I've been reading through the thread tonight and realized I have been experiencing what many posters have described.  I almost lost my whole system (blue screen of death at bootup) over the issue discussed.  I was extremely fortunate to finally fumble my way back to successfully booting up in XP.  After a recent automatic Avast! update, I began to have problems.  Multiple times I received the "Part_setup_ais-557.vpx" file error, another poster mentioned.  I couldn't erase, uninstall, rename, copy over a file, neither could I get any web page links to work in MS Outlook.  In addition, I was unable to use system restore to reset the system to any previous date over the past two months.

The Geek Squad could only offer to reformat my HD at great expense in about 7-10 days.  I informed them I could do the same in about 30 minutes, today.  Somehow, after several days of trying things, I booted in safe mode and manually erased everything Avast! - even the ".vpx" file, but it still wouldn't boot in XP SP3.  From safe mode I ran my local copy of the Avast! 7 setup file and for the first time in a week, it booted in XP without crashing.  After installation, I then uninstalled it - in hopes of cleaning up any damaged Avast! files.  I held my breath and rebooting in safe mode where I was able to download and install a fresh copy of Avast! 7.  With a few exceptions, the system was mostly restored to normal.  That was approximately 5 days ago (Mar 16).  Since then the system has automatically updated several times, including today.  Now, I have just discovered the web page links no longer work, giving the error - "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer.  See your system administrator."  That would be me.  However, the system administrator (me) has made no changes in the security settings.  I wouldn't dare change anything until Avast! becomes a stable program.

I do not have the name of the poster in your response of March 14, 2012, 07:05:44 AM, but the "fix" was for a problem very similar to mine.    You asked about a file, "dlaifs_m.sys" and I located the file on my computer, dated 2006.  As part of the fix you gave a link to an archive file, "aswSnx.zip".  Do you have a recommendation for me?  From reading your reply post that just arrived, maybe I should wait until the next release.

Thanks,
rb-arch

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Hi rb-arch,

the problems with links is probably not avast-related. I did very quick googling and found http://techsalsa.com/solution-to-this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions-in-effect-on-this-computer/

rb-arch

Thanks very much for the help!  I followed the link you enclosed and tried solutions 1, 2, 3, &4.  None worked, however, I was unable to follow solution 4 since I found the variable, but there was no value associated with the variable.  However, near the end of the response comments, I found a long entry by "Eddie" which described my condition and a solution.  As he suggested, I found a value of "ChromeHTML" in five places in the registry and changed them to "htmlfile", which seemed to solve my problem.

I slightly disagree with your comment stating my problem was not caused by the updating of Avast!.  I agree, the problem was with Chrome, in that it did not remove or replace the registry files during the uninstall.  My disagreement is that Avast! did not offer me the option to NOT install Chrome when the update was done, but somehow installed it without my agreement or knowledge.  This reflects negatively on Avast! - something I don't think Avast! really wants.

Again, many thanks for the solution!  RB

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Hi rb-arch, I am glad you were able to solve your problem. Sorry for that unwanted Chrome installation. It is already fixed bug.

rb-arch

Thanks again for your help!

Tombee

I'm reading this thread with great trepidation and I fear that Vn 7 is not yet ready for market.
I added Avast7Free as a full trial a few days ago and it immediately without mercy crashed my Standard User installation of Outlook 2010.  And Outlook had a warning message referring to Av7's antispam filter!  Microsoft knows about you already! 
Outlook's now working, without any filters, but I haven't yet scanned its pst database for errors.  I don't know if I'm feeling lucky, yet.
Further, on my LAN I've lost access to this Win7 machine from a Vista one that NEVER had trouble getting access.  As far as I can tell I've disabled every shield I can find, including the firewall and 'other protections'.  Uninstalling is obviously the next option.
This post is just a rider to the trouble Xander and others had with access to their OWN files.  I'm just saying - here be dragons.
[Now, am I going to lose all my text if I get the captcha words wrong, as I did when trying to register...?]