Author Topic: Upgrading to Avast 7x results in losing control of files/folders (Access Denied)  (Read 41676 times)

XanderK

All --

Avast recently automatically upgraded my installed Avast Internet Security 6.x to 7.x. The upgrade was successfull however ever since it was upgraded I lost control over my files: I'm not able to save and delete files as well am I not able to rename and delete directies. Almost all file/folder actions result in ACCESS DENIED or errors like "Access denied: Disk may be write protected or file in use". I am able to perform the tasks using the command prompt but that is ofcourse NOT the way it should work.

So after lots of lost hours trying to find a solution I decided to uninstall Avast Internet Security 7.x and this resulted in regaining control over my files! Yeah.

I decided to reinstall Avast Internet Security 7.x to determine if something might have happended during the initial upgrade process and the install seemed to be succesfull however I lost control over my files again.

Since there is no reason for working on a computer without being able to save files I decided to remove Avast to at least be able to work.

Please help me in determining the reason for this strange behavior when using Avast 7.x and for the time being let me know how I'm able to use Avast 6.x since my computer is currently UNSECURED.

I do have an active Avast Internet Security License, I'm using Windows XP PRO SP3 and am logged in as a user with admin rights.

Thank you

bobo1

Hi,
administrator privilages on XP should have full access?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:29:12 PM by bobo1 »

XanderK

I was/am logged on as "Computer Administrator".

bobo1

Try unchecking guest account limited access under main settings?/troubleshooting

XanderK

OK, I will reinstall Avast 7.x followed by unchecking guest account limited access under main settings?/troubleshooting.
Will post result after re-installation.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Never heard of anything similar...
What folder did you install avast! in originally?

IronMan1968

I am having the same issue.  I used the default install on a Windows XP machine originally and then allowed Avast to update.  As soon as the computer was rebooted I could not rename / delete any file.  I uninstalled it and can now rename / delete files.  I am now going to uninstall 7 and reinstall 6 to see if that fixes the issue.

Unfortunately as soon as I installed the license it automatically upgraded the avast to version 7 and screwed it up again.  Am going to install the free version now.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:56:48 PM by IronMan1968 »

EriicTheAvaster

Ironman you might want to go with the Storebought version of Avast even with it's flaws.    Lets think about this, do you have a D Drive split on your computer having your backup files in file folders in it; I had to do that to my Old PC to save my most important files that had not been destroyed by the Internet Viruses and Trojans.   If you can format your computer with atleast one extra Drive area, the Internet Trojans and Viruses are unlikely to attack the extra Drive areas.   Better yet use DVD discs and copy your important files and folders on them as backups to keep your most important documents and files on.    Unfortunately if such a Mini Dump Trojan especially from a company like Dame Ware gets on your computer and Avast does not recognize it especially the free version of it, you will be in exactly my situation of loosing a very good old Personal Computer you sunk alot of money into, Mine I spent about $3,000 making it an Pentitium Intell 3.5 Clone.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Avast does not recognize it especially the free version of it
There is no difference in detection between the Free and the Paid version. They use the same engine.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Guys, do you have any other security software/tool installed? Or anything else somehow special about the system?
We certainly haven't seen anything like that so far, so we'd like to find out the trigger...
Thanks.

XanderK

Igor and all,

No other security software/tool is installed.

Just now I re-installed Avast (setup_ais_7.0.1407.0) using the following options: Express Install and supply a license file. Installation doesn't report any errors however after reboot am I out of control of my folders/files. Trying to create a directory on any of my local disks reports the following error:

Cannot rename New Folder: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I'm using XP PRO SP3 and am logged in as Computer Administrator".

Also did the action "Try unchecking guest account limited access under main settings?/troubleshooting" reported by bobo1 NOT have any influence towards the reported error.

Once again am I going to remove Avast in order to be able to normally use my computer.

Avast Internet Security 6.x worked just fine and did not introduce this strange behavior.

Igor: Could you help me in supplying Avast Internet Security version 6.0.1367.0 so I'm able to secure my computer?

Thank you

hayley3

I am also having issues with files being denied access.  I finally removed Avast, first time since I can remember it not being on my pc.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
What if you disable avast! self-defense - does it help?
What if you stop avast! shields - does it "unlock" the files?

Also, can you please open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem - do you have the value NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation there? (if so, what is its numerical value)?

Thanks.

XanderK

Igor --

Disabling avast! self-defense and stop avast! shields have no impact at all.

The value towards NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is 0.

Any chance for you to provide a link to Avast Internet Security version 6.0.1367.0 so I'm able to secure my computer? I can't do any work on my computer and as such do I need to remove Avast 7.x but I don't want to be unsecured! Last resort would be to move to another security tool like MSE, but I don't want to get rid of my Avast.

Please help

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Hi,

Can you provide us some specific info about your system, for example .nfo file generated using c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe. Also what file system filters are installed on afflicted machine? Use fltmc.exe command.