Author Topic: [Errors or bugs] Some Avast! features are not working behind a proxy !!!  (Read 8614 times)

Offline keloo05

I am connected to internet via a proxy, and some Avast! 7 features do not work at all (version 5 or 6 had the same problem), even if I set up (correctly) the proxy server in the settings (SCREENSHOT 1)

1. The first and the "biggest" problem is that REGISTRATION does not work. I would have been nice and easy to register by using the interface, but in this case I have to request a license to be send by mail.

2. The AUTOMATIC UPDATES are the second issue. I have to manually use the built in updater to check for virus definition updates a few times during a day. Also, if a set up Avast! to "Ask when update is avaiable" for virus defs or program updates, it never asks.
Some curios thing is that streaming updates ARE WORKING.

3. Connection to Avast! account does not work. Every time I press connect, it says "Retrieving information, please wait..." for about 15 seconds, but it can't connect, so nothing happens and the message is gone (it's the same for registration).  (---> SEE SCREENSHOT 2)

4. The last thing, but also very important, REMOTE CONNECTION. I only tried "Allowing", but it suddenly said that it can't connect to the ARA server. (---> SEE SCREENSHOT 3)

UPDATE:
5. I also had to disable FileREP, because it took to much time to scan and slowed down my system. (Maybe this was a bug in the first final release, because it seems to be working fine in the latest build, 7.0.1426)

UPDATE 2:
5. The ads for AIS, and "Avast News Service" in the Current Status tab are not displayed when using a proxy connection (the bottom half page of Current Status tab is white). (---> SEE SCREENSHOT 4)

UPDATE 3:
6. SUPPORT TAB is not displayed correctly, because it also has to connect to retrieve information.
(---> SEE SCREENSHOT HERE http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=94613.0;attach=78178;image)

UPDATE 4:
7. SHARE TAB is not displayed correctly. It's blank. (---> SEE SCREENSHOT http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95141.0;attach=84074;image)

I would be glad if an official Avast! Team member will clarify this issues.
I'm not bothered so much that this things don't work, but I'm a proud user of Avast! since 2002, and I think if you resolve this problem with proxy connection, a lot of users will be satisfied.

Thank you !

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:52:58 AM by keloo05 »

Offline keloo05

Re: Errors or bugs! Some Avast! features are not working behind a proxy !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
No answer?

Offline keloo05

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
An official Avast! Team opinion would be great. Will the proxy connection will be fixed in the next program update?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »
Hi,

is this a HTTP (web) only proxy, or socks proxy for all protocols? Do you have it configured in the system (in the IE settings) ?

Lukas.

EDIT: I can see now from the screenshot, that is a HTTP proxy. I am afraid that would not work for Remote Assistance, but probably can be modified in such a way. Other features should work, I'll try to verify that here.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:38:27 PM by lukor »

Offline keloo05

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »
Hi,

is this a HTTP (web) only proxy, or socks proxy for all protocols? Do you have it configured in the system (in the IE settings) ?

Lukas.

EDIT: I can see now from the screenshot, that is a HTTP proxy. I am afraid that would not work for Remote Assistance, but probably can be modified in such a way. Other features should work, I'll try to verify that here.

Yes, it's a HTTP proxy, and I have it configured (see attachement). Internet Explorer or Google Chrome work without problems.
Everyone who's using Avast! in this campus is having the problems I described, and other programs that may require an internet connection are working fine via proxy.

Thanks for answering.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:11:32 PM by keloo05 »

Offline keloo05

UPDATE: I also had to disable FileREP, because it took to much time to scan and slowed down my system.
Any news on this?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:32:53 PM by keloo05 »

Offline keloo05

I updated Avast! to 7.0.1412 R2 Beta, and everything is the same. I still hope that someone will take a look at this, because we are close to a new final release and this issues remain. An official answer at least, to confirm if they are indeed not working. Vlk, Pk, Lukor?

Offline keloo05

UPDATE:
I am now using another computer and a normal internet connection, and I can say that everything I pointed in the first post is working just fine. So, it's obvious that Avast! is having issues with proxy internet connection.

Also, I remarked that Avast! is displaying the "Maximize your protection" ad for AIS, and "Avast News Service" in the Current Status tab. Well, these two were not shown when I was using the proxy connection (the bottom half page of Current Status tab was white). ---> SEE SCREENSHOT
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:08:10 AM by keloo05 »

Offline keloo05

UPDATE:
I realised that another thing is not how it's supposed to be on a normal connection: SUPPORT TAB

Offline keloo05

BUMP

Offline keloo05

The issues remain in the latest Avast! version, 7.0.1426.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Yes, this will be addressed in the next program update (it was too late to try to fix it before this update).

Thanks for reporting
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline keloo05

Thanks Vlk.

I reported this a week ago, but only Lukor responded once. I was hoping that you will see this thread and release a fix in today's program update.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
We have seen the report, but it was still too close to the release - it could break other things, so we would have to postpone the update by another week or two if we included that.

Offline keloo05

We have seen the report, but it was still too close to the release - it could break other things, so we would have to postpone the update by another week or two if we included that.

I thought it would require a small fix, but it sounds like a serious problem.
Thank you for your answers, and I'm looking forward to test the next version.