Author Topic: Avast 7 - File Reputation always on causing slowdown of program starts?  (Read 3872 times)

al3x

Hey there,

I recently updated from version 6 to 7 and found out the following strange behavoir:

Whenever I open up a program, the first run of this file is slowed down by 2-3 seconds. After this waiting time the program opens up just fine and everything is working as in Avast 6.

During that waiting time I can see traffic between my PC and the Avast servers so I thought this might be related to the new Cloud services, especially the File Reputation functionality. So I disabled this function and tested again with no success, still the same behavoir of 2-3 seconds waiting time.

When I disable the live scanner completely, everything is back to normal though. So my conclusion here is: The File Reputation function can't be disabled apparently causing slowdowns in opening programs!

My PC is really up-to-date and programs started up like hell until Avast 7.
System specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel i7 2600K, nVidia GeForce GTX 570
Intel SSD 510 256GB

Thank you in advance!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast 7 - File Reputation always on causing slowdown of program starts?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:54 AM »
Yes, there's a known bug - causing the Cloud services setting to have no effect. It will be fixed soon.

On the other hand, it shouldn't have such a significant effect. Are you saying that the delay occurs on every application you start - or just on specific ones?
What is your network connection, if I might ask?

al3x

Re: Avast 7 - File Reputation always on causing slowdown of program starts?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:43:04 AM »
Hi,

thank you for your quick reply, really appreciate this!

It happens to almost every program I run, yes. I tried with Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010, Photoshop CS5.5, Indesign CS5.5, KeePass, TotalCommander, TrueCrypt, RealVNC Viewer, QuickPar, ImgBurn, 7-Zip, Notepad++, Miranda, Mumble, Thunderbird, FileZilla and so on. Some of them are now ok, for instance Word, Notepad++ and RealVNC.

// EDIT: Nope, Notepad++ and RealVNC had a delay again after rebooting the PC, Word came up quickly.

It even happened to cmd.exe and notepad.exe at first - this isn't anymore since today.

My network connection is cable (Unitymedia in Germany), 128mbit down / 5mbit up.

Thanks,
Alex
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:56:25 AM by al3x »