Author Topic: Stop using us as guinea pigs  (Read 10024 times)

alan3333

Stop using us as guinea pigs
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »
So a new version of what has always been the most reliable program on my computer has been released. Great? No. Avast 7 after even a cursory glance at this forum should still be in beta, in short V7 IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY (sorry for shouting). I have had video files (legal in case anyone was wondering) cast into the ether because v7 decided, mid muxing that the process was suspicious. Webrep in 6 was a decent reference tool but in 7 sits in my browser inert, the three bars constantly blank and when I click said bars a blank utterly useless rectangle pops up. Avast two days after the update decide that it couldn't start, forcing me to safe mode and the removal tool.  The scanning process, while quicker than v6 found "No Threat" while a scan by Malwarebytes uncovered a trojan, and don't even get me started about the sandbox.

In this new version it seems that Avast is trying a new way of working, all good, in the fast moving world of threat detection to stay still is to move backward. The only problem is that in the normal run of things a program is tested exhaustively in beta BEFORE being foist on the general user, and "tested exhaustively" is a term that in no measure could be applied to Avast7. That testing is happening now, The general user is being forced to deal with issues that 90% have not got the know how to deal with. I have for some years now recommended Avast to anyone and everyone as the best free AV out there, but with this new version, until they sort things out, my only recommendation will be: Don't update to V7.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: Stop using us as guinea pigs
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »
 sry but do not expect any programme to be flawless even after many betas...there are simply too many different combinations of systems to be tested to completion. (lets say every1 in this forum does beta tests i.e. 222 222 ppl. the Avast! community is 190million...do u expect 222 222 ppl to be able to cover all combinations of systems? impossible and thats why every software has bugs regardless of how long/how stable most ppl claims it to be. if u choose to move to another antivirus, u will see that there are ppl with bugs like this there too.)

its pointless basically to change antivirus because of that...unless the developers are unwilling to listen and try to help u solve ur problems.

*looking through ur past posts, u did not put ur system specs:(eg windows 7 32bit sp1, running programmes at startup)
u should do that and post ur videos/screenshots for Avast! developers to look
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:15:57 AM by AntiVirusASeT »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
The earlyer released version 7 had a corrupted installer and that was where all the issues ( problems ) were coming from, this has since been rectified with a new installer and a fix tool for people that still have the corrupted version.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
There was plenty of Beta testing, the latest version of avast does work "in new ways" which means the user needs to become familiar with those "new ways".

There is a user manual here >> http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-v7-is-eng.pdf   and in your GUI >Maintenance > Support there is a HELP file which details settings and operation.

Avast7 works fine as long as the install was not corrupt.

slybo

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
Hi craigb, I used the link Vlk provided in the release thread last Friday for v7. After the bad update mess I uninstalled and reinstalled using the same download. Are you saying that download had a corrupt installer? I seem to be doing just fine but should I download v7 again and reinstall to have an even better install? I download that on Feb 24. slybo

alan3333

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »
Thank you to both of you for the replies. On the first point I don't expect the program to be "flawless" but the flaws seem to be too many to simply put them down to system configuration. I suppose I may be being harsh, but then I come back to the Webrep. I am using Chrome, the second most popular browser in the world. What configuration of Chrome do you suggest I use to obtain any response from webrep whatsoever. On the second point "a corrupted installer" Wow. So how many users were affected by this? Surely "a corrupted installer" should not have been let through. My point is I won't be switching just yet. Avast has protected my computer too long for me to give up so easily and for that I am very grateful but these "configuration problems" if as widespread as I suspect are absolutely and positively a reputation killer. 

slybo

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »
I just thought about you might be talking about installing from the UI, I did not, I did a clean install. Are you talking about the install from the UI being corrupt? And a clean install being ok?

akama1

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »
avast 7 working perfectly here  :D come on just give avast some time... it just became final version... wait for a number of program updates and probably it will be fixed :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
alan3333 The forum is slowly starting to quieten down now so most users that come here will see the fixes provided hopefully or use the search function will can bring up a wealth of information to solve there issues.
As to your webrep, are you running a stable release of google chrome? as avast does not support all the beta and developer editions, also note that the servers for webrep could possibly be down but as im not using webrep i cant check that.
As to if webrep works correctly in chrome at the moment i cant say as i dont use that either but there will no doubt be someone that uses it to chip in here before long.

alan3333

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »
avast 7 working perfectly here  :D come on just give avast some time... it just became final version... wait for a number of program updates and probably it will be fixed :)

Smiley faces and everything. Thank you for the most inane reply I have ever read in any forum. "Wait for a NUMBER of program updates and it will PROBABLY be fixed"  :-*

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »
Hi craigb, I used the link Vlk provided in the release thread last Friday for v7. After the bad update mess I uninstalled and reinstalled using the same download. Are you saying that download had a corrupt installer? I seem to be doing just fine but should I download v7 again and reinstall to have an even better install? I download that on Feb 24. slybo
Well i used the link as well straight after it was posted and i didn't have the issue either except for the update process freezing the other day which the fix tool provided at the top of the free/pro/suite page was able to fix, so if your not having any issues now and your program is updating then you have probably avoided the problem  :)

slybo

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
Thanks craigb, its just that I am off work till Friday and want to be sure everything is good while I have time to fix it. slybo

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
Thanks craigb, its just that I am off work till Friday and want to be sure everything is good while I have time to fix it. slybo
Well if you really worried about it you can try running the fix or install a fresh copy of avast but honestly if it hasn't played up by now then i think you'll be fine  :)

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
at alan3333: i am using google chrome v17.0.963.56, webrep working ok here.

are the rest of Avast! working? if so try
1.uninstalling webrep from Avast! gui (does not matter if it is v7 or v6)
2.close google chrome
3.install via Avast! gui again
4. open google chrome again

note: if webrep does not appear in google chrome after reinstall of it, follow the screen shot given

(drag the highlighted file into google chrome literally) to install it

alan3333

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »
Still no-one has addressed the main issue here. In my first post I said that Avast had missed a trojan horse. I have a PC repair friend whom I asked what the most common problem was he had to face. Without hesitation he said "infection". Most people (not all) who use a free AV use it for the simple reason of economics, in that they can't afford to purchase protection and are grateful for the security a free AV provides. I remember when I first started using Avast, (remember the funny little media player type interface) I read the mission statement which said something like; "our aim is to provide security for all regardless of means". If we can agree that most people who's computer won't start because of infection simply take it to the shop, then using a free AV that allows infection through is simply a false economy.

In all previous versions of Avast, no matter how new, I have run my computer through various tests to check the effectiveness of the program and NEVER until now has any of these checks located a sample that Avast has missed. So I ask: How many users don't know they have used a corrupted installer? Are the program publishers doing anything to inform users of the possibility the program is defective? If as the evidence suggests Avast's detection rates have declined recently, are the programmers aware of this and what are they doing about it? I realise the last question is (kind of) unfair but ask it regardless as AV comparative tests suggest it is the case. I also realise that too many threads in forums become point scoring rather that problem solving exercises and seek to assure all that this thread is not about arguing for the sake of it.

One other minor quibble; I have seen the term Avast Evangelist bandied around this forum and would suggest the moniker be abandoned. An evangelist is someone who rigidly expounds a point of view regardless of evidence, someone who won't let facts interfere with his world view and is a term in my opinion is at best inappropriate in this regard.