Author Topic: DarkWave-Studio-3.6.7 downloads unrequested software  (Read 1949 times)

dionisiog

DarkWave-Studio-3.6.7 downloads unrequested software
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
A warning to Avast Team & Users.
I installed DarkWave Studio 3.6.7 which is an audio tool & editor.  Once the program was started it opened a window quietly to download software to my computer,  explaining that the software designers thought that this was a program which I would like.  It appeared to be some sort of game,  and DarkWave Studio is associated with a game website. (Having basic common sense I terminated this process immediately and proceded with assorted malware scans.)
Most likely I downloaded this software from the majorgeeks (which is a reliable website),  but I would suggest that the software scans clean and and has continuosly scanned as safe by all my anti-virus and malware detection softwares.
If this per chance is not enough reason to not want to install this software,  I will also tell you that it crashed each time that I simply attempted to look at the software's options manuals. Obviously not a work of great software virtuosity.
I thought this experience might be useful to share here.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: DarkWave-Studio-3.6.7 downloads unrequested software
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
I think you should be bringing this up with the developers of that software on there forum.

dionisiog

Re: DarkWave-Studio-3.6.7 downloads unrequested software
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
Perhaps.  Also I came back here after resting as I remembered making this post. I knew that I probably had left it in an inappropriate place on the forum.  I was one of the unlucky users that downloaded that bad update.  Afterwards Avast 7 virtually fried one of my main computers.  I have spent more than the past 24 hours trying to put it back in order.  A lot was lost... forever.   Clearly I might not have been capable of thinking too clearly when I left this post or I might have chosen another category.  I suspect I was suffering from tunnel vision.

But thank you for your observation.  My assumption was that those that surreptitiously download files to your system probably know what they are doing and are not much interested in having it brought to their attention.

On the other hand,  it is always nice to tip the innocent before they get the shaft.  I will... consider your suggestion.