Author Topic: TO: All users of avast! 7 with problems  (Read 26236 times)

clubhouse

Re: TO: All users of avast! 7 with problems
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 12:34:33 AM »
System restore is infective!!!  Well I've been lucky then... in the three and a bit years I've used Avast I never had to use it....In fact tbh I haven't really needed an AV :D.....The only infections its picked up are the inevitable FP's and those from places that I knew were unsafe or risky.....However, there is nothing in the 'user manual' that says  'System Restore?'...forget it!...using Avast renders it useless......or is this one of the end user problems?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:10 AM »
I'm now in Arizona and one of the first things I had to do this morning was to update one of my daughters computers to version 7.
Since a few days have passed and the faulty vb update is behind us, I'm happy to report that her update from version 6 to 7 wen't off
without a hitch.
I have 2 presentations to do tomorrow and certainly feel a lot better after having updated Kathy's computer without incident.
Now all I need is to get some sleep. I left my house at 11:45 PM yesterday and look forward to a good nights sleep.
(Only 58 emails to go)  ;D

(You count sheep, I'll count emails.)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Dch48

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 12:44:39 AM »
System restore is infective!!!  Well I've been lucky then... in the three and a bit years I've used Avast I never had to use it....In fact tbh I haven't really needed an AV :D.....The only infections its picked up are the inevitable FP's and those from places that I knew were unsafe or risky.....However, there is nothing in the 'user manual' that says  'System Restore?'...forget it!...using Avast renders it useless......or is this one of the end user problems?
No, the problems have been confined to Avast not working right after doing a system restore and having to be reinstalled. As far as I know, everything else gets restored just fine.

clubhouse

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »
No, the problems have been confined to Avast not working right after doing a system restore and having to be reinstalled. As far as I know, everything else gets restored just fine.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying that....That I can live with:)

Treborprime

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:52 AM »
I never had a problem with a broken definition. Instead I have problems that indicate issues with the installer. It doesn't get past the firewall driver install. Installing from Safe mode breaks the mail shield. Installing from Safe mode is never an acceptable workaround - ever.

As to the original Author. Its sound advice to not jump on the newest release of anything. I made the mistake of making that jump myself.

I'm sure Avast 7 will be a fine product. But its still has many problems to iron out before it can be dusted off as a final release.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
I never had a problem with a broken definition. Instead I have problems that indicate issues with the installer. It doesn't get past the firewall driver install. Installing from Safe mode breaks the mail shield. Installing from Safe mode is never an acceptable workaround - ever.

As to the original Author. Its sound advice to not jump on the newest release of anything. I made the mistake of making that jump myself.

I'm sure Avast 7 will be a fine product. But its still has many problems to iron out before it can be dusted off as a final release.
I have 5 computers including 4 that are running Windows 8 Consumer Beta and all of them are protected by avast!7.
Avast7 is a fine product right now. Certainly much improved over avast!6.  :)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

oklajohn

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »
@DCH48 it's not just with Avast, but with other security software too (the restore issue).

That doesn't make it right! I am not concerned with the others.   Just because another software has problems doesn't affect me unless I choose to use it.  I don't WANT to have to use System Restore - but when I get BSOD's  when upgrading avast, I would like the option of System Restore.....I really tried to be reasonable about this.  Microsoft Security Essentials is working perfectly - I have faster boot, System Restore, no BSOD's, so  I am happy.  The con - I lost five month's of avast subscription cost.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:28:28 PM by oklajohn »

Hermite15

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »
or re-write kernel drivers ???

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »

I have 5 computers including 4 that are running Windows 8 Consumer Beta and all of them are protected by avast!7.
Avast7 is a fine product right now. Certainly much improved over avast!6.  :)

I have to absolutely agree with Bob!
I am (continually) really impressed with the improvements. ;D
AND, not one virus infection since using any off the versions of Avast. ;) ;)

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:39:05 PM by schmidthouse »

albsurfer

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »

Mine received the exception errors AFTER I updated from V6 to V7 and NO restore was involved in the upgrade.  I did try a restore after uninstalling AVAST & installing V6, only to have V6 Auto-update to V7 with MANUAL UPDATE selected. 

SO.... I'm sorry but you are misinformed or just plain wrong & not reading the posts.

sleepdeprived

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
oklajohn, don't feel badly. I lost 11 months of paid subscription. And don't tell me all new versions have problems. I had one problem with version 6 and that was the suggestion to delete a suspicious file. It was a hard lesson, since it messed up my computer, but somehow Windows 7 managed to give me an option that rolled it back and I learned to never delete a file without checking first. Version 7 put a file I needed to install a new program, into it's "lock box (or whatever you call it)." And there was no way that I could see (because I am limited technically) to tell avast to leave that file alone. So I had to completely, one by one, disable everything to install the program. For me, version 7 was a complete mess. That was just one of a bombardment of pop ups and problems.

Whoever said that it was "fun" trying to figure out how to find work arounds and get it running correctly, forgets that a lot of users are interested in other things, like running Photoshop and related programs, and other software. They are, like me, technically challenged, and don't want to spend hours trying to figure out how to make something work. We want to spend those hours using our computer.

In the past, I kept my working computer off line and surfed with a laptop. So many programs need the internet now to activate/update etc. that's become almost impossible.

I always wait with other software before updating, and have never had a problem like this new Avast has caused me. I know that it takes time for the bugs to be worked out. But with an antivirus program it seemed important to update.

I suspect there are a lot of silent users out there, many paying clients like me, who have just gotten rid of avast and are trying other programs now. Basically I stay loyal to companies, realizing that all will not be perfect. But this version was so different and so horrible that I am left with a bad taste concerning avast software.

If there was an option to roll back, or a place on the site to download the last working version, it would have gone a long way to keep me and likely others as clients.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »
oklajohn, don't feel badly. I lost 11 months of paid subscription. And don't tell me all new versions have problems. I had one problem with version 6 and that was the suggestion to delete a suspicious file. It was a hard lesson, since it messed up my computer, but somehow Windows 7 managed to give me an option that rolled it back and I learned to never delete a file without checking first. Version 7 put a file I needed to install a new program, into it's "lock box (or whatever you call it)." And there was no way that I could see (because I am limited technically) to tell avast to leave that file alone. So I had to completely, one by one, disable everything to install the program. For me, version 7 was a complete mess. That was just one of a bombardment of pop ups and problems.

Whoever said that it was "fun" trying to figure out how to find work arounds and get it running correctly, forgets that a lot of users are interested in other things, like running Photoshop and related programs, and other software. They are, like me, technically challenged, and don't want to spend hours trying to figure out how to make something work. We want to spend those hours using our computer.

In the past, I kept my working computer off line and surfed with a laptop. So many programs need the internet now to activate/update etc. that's become almost impossible.

I always wait with other software before updating, and have never had a problem like this new Avast has caused me. I know that it takes time for the bugs to be worked out. But with an antivirus program it seemed important to update.

I suspect there are a lot of silent users out there, many paying clients like me, who have just gotten rid of avast and are trying other programs now. Basically I stay loyal to companies, realizing that all will not be perfect. But this version was so different and so horrible that I am left with a bad taste concerning avast software.

If there was an option to roll back, or a place on the site to download the last working version, it would have gone a long way to keep me and likely others as clients.
Excellent post.

adityo01

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »
WORST ADVICE I EVER READ!!!

AVAST engineer should test their product longer (in beta) in the first time before release the commercial one. look over the people who already bought this app.
You ask me to waste my money and waiting for a month or so????? NO WAY!!
the point is this app is buggy. i realize that almost every new app was buggy in the first time. however, this case is different story. i can't use it at all. mean that it's not buggy anymore. it's useless.

UserA789

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »
As I read through the Forums about avast! 7 users being unhappy and bailing to other anti-virus products:

1) It took 2 months before avast! 6 was ready for commercial distribution

2) avast! 7 is only 1 week old now

3) Everything new is not fully debugged. This is all software companies, anybody remember Intuit QuickBooks 2000 (never was usable)

4) Those who adopt early get to reap the benifits of their actions.

5) I always take a "wait and see" attitude so I don't "open a can of worms"  This statement is NOT limited to avast! or anti-virus)

6) avast! 6 is a great product, and all problem 7 users should go back to 6 for a month or so!

39 years as I failure analysis engineer, this advise on new software releases is the best advise you will ever get!

I have included the URL to avast! 6.0.1367:    www.advantage77.com/Files/setup_av_pro_601367.exe

If I were an  Avast Engineer, first thing Id look at is the poor use of the language forum this is posted to.  Second, Id maybe do wome enhanced scanning of said web site.  This post reminds me of those emails we are warned about clicking links in... IE misspellings/grammer of intended language.

Not really paranoid, as Im PERFECTLY happy with Avast7.  And Id never click such a different sounding link name.   Wonder who owns "advantage 1-76 dot com"?  Sure I had to re-install via the "CLEAN" method, but other users have had great luck with update tool.  To the OP... if your a re-seller; as I am for other products (PC hardware) then this makes no sense.

Not to mention, there are tons of posts here telling users how to fix their update... INCLUDING AN UPDATE FIX TOOL.

Dch48

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
Mine received the exception errors AFTER I updated from V6 to V7 and NO restore was involved in the upgrade.  I did try a restore after uninstalling AVAST & installing V6, only to have V6 Auto-update to V7 with MANUAL UPDATE selected. 

SO.... I'm sorry but you are misinformed or just plain wrong & not reading the posts.
I actually have no idea what you're talking about. My reference to system restore had nothing whatsoever to do with the recent problems. All I said , (in response to someone who thought I had previously said that using avast made system restore useless) was that in the past, using system restore, for whatever reason, would often result in avast having to be reinstalled even when it was not involved in the need to restore. I was saying that avast does not render system restore worthless and inneffective but that the reverse has often been true. So, I'm sorry but maybe you need to read the posts more carefully.