Author Topic: Could not scan  (Read 2397 times)

AstronomerSmith

Could not scan
« on: December 08, 2004, 01:52:13 PM »
Hello.
I am trying to fix my sister's computer which has some sort of virus, maybe agobot, maybe sasser or some variation.
Anyway, I cannot get on the internet with her computer, it restarts just as soon as it gets connected.  I installed Avast and it scanned...took over two hours, and it did not find anything except...a bunch of files that it said it could not scan because they were password protected.
It seems like this happened tome on my computer earlier this year and someone here told me how to unlock files so all could be scanned...but I forgot how and I couldn't find the message in this forum.

So...can you help me to gain access to all files on the computer?  Even password protected ones?  That seems a likely place for a virus to be hiding!  Thanks.

Scott

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Could not scan
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »
Astronomer, you don't have to worry with password protected files. If a virus is inside of them, when it tries to 'wake up' (if it's happen...) it will be blocked by the Standard Shield.

The files are not locked... Probably Spybot and/or other application protect their files with password. It's normal as without a password it will be detected as having a 'spy' inside. So, it's passworded.

Don't worry.
If you can, run a boot time scanning  8)
The best things in life are free.

lee16

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 02:32:46 PM »
Also make sure you 'scan inside archives' while doing a boot-time scanning

--lee

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:37:41 PM »
Sounds like the reboot worm to me. Disable it from loading at boot time and run a boot scan with Avast. Also run Spybot s&d, Ad-Aware and HijackThis.