Author Topic: Virun definition file fails to update in Avast free 7.1.1407  (Read 2522 times)

parametric

Virun definition file fails to update in Avast free 7.1.1407
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »
Just updated to v7 (I uninstalled the previous avast first)

Last popup message shows failed definitions update.

Update now - opens the dialog - progress bar hangs trying to download file: part-vps_win32-12022500.vpx and the page reverts with a time ~ 1:06.
Clicking <OK> takes you back to the start of the loop . . . . ?

last popup message remains (in red)

any ideas guys?

parametric

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virun definition file fails to update in Avast free 7.1.1407
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »
Boot and try again.

If it fails, try to repair your installation:
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
The best things in life are free.

parametric

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
Thankyou Tech,

Reboot did it (doh! I ought to have learned by now ::)

Best Regards

parametric

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

parametric

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »
Ooops Tech . . .

spoke too soon. behaviour repeated again. RED failed to update defs warning appeared.

<Update now> fails in a similar way, like before . . . .  Just gives up after a few seconds.

Reboot doesn't correct it this time.

Selecting Avast in <add/remove programs> - clicking on remove (to fix - as you suggested) - the dialog panel flashes briefly and disappears - ie - it has crashed . . . . .Avast remains

gonna need a hammer to remove it now, I guess :o

Any thoughts?

parametric

Offline BTIsaac

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:45:39 AM »
First of all, do you have another anti virus installed? If you do, one of them has to go.

To remove Avast, first, hold the hammer, no matter how much your Avast looks like a nail. Download the removal tool from the site, turn off Avast's self-protection module, run the tool (be careful while using it, you could wipe your hard drive clean with this thing, so make sure the right folder is specified in the bar), reboot, then download the program from the site and do a clean install. See if that works.

parametric

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 02:44:16 AM »
Thanks BTIsaac,

Selecting Avast in <add/remove programs> - clicking on remove (to fix - as you suggested) - the dialog panel flashes briefly and disappears - ie - it has crashed . . . . .Avast remains

I turned off the Avast self-protection feature and , hey presto - I was able to "repair" it . .     SO self protection really works!

Will do a further reboot to see if normal services have been resumed (I switched self-protection back on again)

Thanks for your pointers - I WILL try a complete reinstall if problems remain . .

regards

parametric

parametric

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:55:16 AM »
Ongoing difficulties with the virus defs update - at startup

IT APPEARS THAT IF YOU SWITCH THE SELF-PROTECTION OFF (IN THE TROUBLESHOOTING MENU) THEN THE UPDATE WILL WORK SUCCESSFULLY

I have also noticed that if the self-protection IS enabled, then it will prevent you removing/repairing the installation via the Add/remove programs option in the control panel

Hope that helps . . .

Best Regards

parametric