Author Topic: Can't uninstall the version 35889  (Read 4443 times)

otherness

Can't uninstall the version 35889
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:29:25 AM »
I downloaded the latest version but found out that the older version can not be uninstalled. Every time I open the Avast software it appear a popup say it's error, with a error code "555". The information is as follows:

Error
Engine error: License has expired or is invalid. Please update to the recent beta version from Avast website.
• Error code: 555
The application shall be terminated.

Then I can not do anything (except checking the software preference) but to terminate it. Could you please tell me how can I uninstall the 35889 version and to install the latest one?

Thanks very much!

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Can't uninstall the version 35889
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »
Follow these instructions to upgrade to current version:

• Download current program version (linked always from 1st post in this thread -- http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=78646.0; or newly also available on http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-mac/)
  • Open the downloaded DMG and drag&drop avast! into /Applications
  • If another version of avast! already exists there, Finder will ask you what to do. Choose "Replace".
  • Start the new version of the app from /Applications. It will offer you to do update.

Then you can uninstall normally from the avast!.app's menu.
Sorry for the inconvenience, this shall be solved in the final version (where validity of the 'license' will never expire).

livingtess

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
This does not work for me it says its not recognised ! and can't uninstall either, very frustraighting why will it not work I have downloaded then dragged and dropped into application folder tried to open won't install !! or even update was it a 30day expired free trial?  didn't say when I installed it !!!

otherness

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:45 PM »
Thanks very much! It works on my computer, and I've updated to the latest version.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
This does not work for me it says its not recognised ! and can't uninstall either, very frustraighting why will it not work I have downloaded then dragged and dropped into application folder tried to open won't install !! or even update was it a 30day expired free trial?  didn't say when I installed it !!!

If its expired you likely installed the old avast for Mac, which is currently useful only if you are using a PowerPC based Mac (new beta is intel-only) In the old release when you open Avast go to preferences and uncheck Launch at startup as a persistent Application. Or boot your Mac into safe boot and then remove (safe boot disables most startup items). For details on how to boot your version of Mac OS X into safe boot see the link below:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay