Author Topic: Why Is No One Answering Support Tickets?  (Read 5718 times)

TomTech71

Re: Why Is No One Answering Support Tickets?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
Ah...she sent the new log-file..Smart Sister

Attached

TomTech71

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »
Thanks Jack 1000. I tossed the idea of 4 up to her.

I am using a different set of credentials for here vs the main site...tom@ucantrade.com is the address related to the main site

As for the tickets: One is related to what we are doing here. The other was related to here at work where we have 10 license Pro and 20 license Business. One of our Win7 Pro running Avast Pro gave 2 BSOD first day after I upgraded from 6, but has been fine since. My PC (Working On Now) is also Win7 Pro running Avast Pro 7, and has been just fine. All other Avast Pro are still 6. I'm still reluctant to upgrade the rest to 7 at this time...and I sure hope you all don't decide to mess with Business....That would be a disaster to our business if that didn't go well...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:00:20 PM by TomTech71 »

TomTech71

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »
So...Don't know if anyone at Avast is still paying attention to this thread, but nothing has improved with the problem being dealt with through this thread.

The following statement was confirmed as being dealt with yesterday evening by my Sister:

"You downloaded aswClear to your desktop. You went into safe-mode (Windows looked weird, and probably had text in each corner warning you that you were in safe-mode. Properly being in Safe-Mode is required). You launched aswClear. one-by-one you selected each of the 'free' versions (4 thru 7) from the drop-down. For each version you selected, You hit some button to tell aswClear to do its thing. After that was done, you restated the computer, launching Windows as normal, and failed to install Avast Free Version 7."

Latest Log-file from that venture is attached.

warlock

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »
That log looks weird from the very beginning, the execution commandline is showing some corrupted characters.
She shouldn't run the installer from the IE cache. Let her save the setup file to desktop or some other folder and run it from there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:18:58 PM by warlock »

TomTech71

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 01:55:47 AM »
She confirmed with me that the file on the desktop is the original EXE file

warlock

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 08:13:12 AM »
The log says something else.
Code: [Select]
Cmdline: /sfx /sfxstorage "C:\Users\jim\AppData\Local\Temp\_av_sfx.tm~a04440" /GetEdition:free /brandcode "A" /srcpath "C:\Users\jim\AppData\Local\MICROS~1\Windows\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\QCEI4IA8" /sfxname ?@???The /srcpath means she's running the installer from IE cache (she clicked Run on the download dialog instead on Save) and the /sfxname part should read avast_free_setup not that question mark mess.

Make sure she cleans the browser cache before redownloading the setup file.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:31:25 AM by warlock »

TomTech71

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 08:35:48 AM »
Ok...I'll go with that...and have the whole process start again from the top. At this point it might be a couple days before she's available to try again.

Thanks All...

SafeSurf

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »
Did your sister have any other antivirus software on her machine in the past?  If so, how was it uninstalled?

What firewall and other security software is on the machine (resident and on-demand) - both in the past and now?  How were they uninstalled?

Have you looked for remnants of Avast and other uninstalled security software in Safe Mode, then reboot in between each uninstall?

Has she cleaned the machine with something like CCleaner Slim Version and Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/?  Reboot and defrag (try Defraggler) to clean the machine.