Author Topic: Cannot install version 6.x Avast Free  (Read 2694 times)

REDACTED

Cannot install version 6.x Avast Free
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:18:49 AM »
Hi,

I need to install version 6.x Avast Free. I have found the old 6.x install files. When I try to install it, upgrade wizard connects to the avast WEB site and picks up the new 7.0 avast free.

Has anyone know how to install 6.x avast free while 7.0 is on the WEB?

Thanks,
Seckin

Rick F

Re: Cannot install version 6.x Avast Free
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:33:29 AM »
Seckin,

Where are you getting ver 6 from?  If it's FileHippo, their green download link will actually give you ver 7 (they've made an error in the link).  To get ver 6 click on the "FileHippo Mirror" link below that green arrow (see image below).  If you got the right link, install it without letting avast connect to internet.

Once you download ver 6, uninstall ver 7 via control panel's software removal, then run the aswclear utilitiy (once for ver 7 and once for ver 6), disconnect from internet, then install ver 6.  Don't allow it to connect to internet until you can go into settings and change the the "Program update" to manual.

Hope this helps.

nord

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:39:21 AM »
Hi,

I need to install version 6.x Avast Free. I have found the old 6.x install files. When I try to install it, upgrade wizard connects to the avast WEB site and picks up the new 7.0 avast free.

Has anyone know how to install 6.x avast free while 7.0 is on the WEB?

Thanks,
Seckin

Seckin,

As Rick says: make sure your update settings are Manual to stop it from upgrading to version 7 automatically.

Three tools that may help:

The Avast official uninstall tool. IF you already have version 7 installed or remnants, this may do the job
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

RevoUninstaller is a generic program uninstaller. One of the best and cleans up some of the registry entries too
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/revo_uninstaller_portable

RegSeeker uses keyword searches to find entries in the registry and other stuff. I use it in the end to clean up whatever is leftover
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,23783-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:42:16 AM by nord »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »
Hi Rick,

It worked. Thank you very much. This is what I did;

1. I had downloaded the file "setup_av_free_6.0.1367.exe" to my desktop.
2. I disabled my wireless connection.
3. I had 7.0 avast free already installed.
4. I ran "setup_av_free_6.0.1367.exe" file and restarted my laptop.
5. When I checked the version of avast, it was already 6.0.1367. So I did not need to uninstall anything.
6. I am able to connect to my work VPN fine as it is now.

Thanks again to you and Nord.

Regards,
Seckin

Rick F

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:04:35 AM »
Seckin,

Glad to hear it worked.  Thanks for posting back as it may help others.  ;)