Author Topic: BSOD launching Visual FoxPro 5 and 6 - New Avast 7.0.1407  (Read 2879 times)

kiernan7

BSOD launching Visual FoxPro 5 and 6 - New Avast 7.0.1407
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:12:05 AM »
I let Avast upgrade me to the new version 7.  A little while later (after the reboot), I tried to launch VFP5 and it told me the app was suspicious, then gave me a BSOD.  I tried again, again the BSOD.  I reinstalled VFP5 (thinking it was the app) and still got the BSOD.  I then tried VFP6 and again BSOD.

I turned off real-time file system shield and then I could access VFRP5 and VFP6 fine.  I have no idea what else might have given me a BSOD.  For now, I've disabled the Avast real-time file system shield until I can figure out what the @#$% is going on.

Anyone have any ideas?  Any known conflicts?

-- John Kiernan

elfz_2006

Re: BSOD launching Visual FoxPro 5 and 6 - New Avast 7.0.1407
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:01:31 AM »
The same happens to me when trying to use a program made with MS Visual Fox Pro 9.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:02 AM »
There is a 7.0.1412 R2 beta that has hopefully fixed this problem. Haven't seen any reports that mention whether or not the problem has been solved with this release.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.0

Changing the AutoSandbox setting from auto to ask has helped. When you run your program, if a file is suspicious, you will be asked if you would like to run it in the sandbox, cancel run, or run it normally. Selecting "run normally" and "always perform this action" will add it to the exclusion list and you won't be asked again.

You could also disable the AutoSandbox.

Regardless of which option you choose, it is important that your File System Shield remains on.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:38:57 AM by Charyb »

elfz_2006

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:04:01 AM »
There is a 7.0.1412 R2 beta that has hopefully fixed this problem. Haven't seen any reports that mention whether or not the problem has been solved with this release.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.0

Changing the AutoSandbox setting from auto to ask has helped. When you run your program, if a file is suspicious, you will be asked if you would like to run it in the sandbox, cancel run, or run it normally. Selecting "run normally" and "always perform this action" will add it to the exclusion list and you won't be asked again.

You could also disable the AutoSandbox.

Regardless of which option you choose, it is important that your File System Shield remains on.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyway, just before you answered, I have added the problematic-program 's folder to the File System Shield exclusion list and that worked too, although is less secure I think.