Author Topic: How long will Version 6 be supported  (Read 2531 times)

Libra

How long will Version 6 be supported
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:40:33 AM »
Does anyone know how long Version 6 will be supported? I don't want to try to install Version 7 at this time in view of all the problems.

Also, will there be a notice on this forum letting us know when the internal updater in version 6 to upgrade to version 7 is working properly?

I've never had a problem in the past.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

AdrianH

Re: How long will Version 6 be supported
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:12:01 AM »
"All these problems"? 

There was a corrupted file in the installer which caused a few issues. Many of the other "problems " are actually people misunderstanding or not liking changes in avast!
There is a new v7 R2 beta running which is for most people working without issue, I have avast 7 (AIS) running on 3 machnes without any problems and have installed this version on a large number of PC's , the owners of which are very happy.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:49:11 AM »
well even Avast! v4 is still supported through virus updates  ;) http://www.avast.com/download-update

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:02:25 AM »
Hi Libra

I don't know how long definition update support for avast! 6 will continue but personal experience, the size of the userbase, and mostly that versions 5, 6 & 7 share VPS architecture lead me to think that it will be a long time.

The internal update from 6.0.1367 to 7.0.1407 has worked  for me on 9 out of 9 occasions - but I too still have 6 on my main machine. :-\

Cheers
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Jack 1000

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:03:31 AM »
well even Avast! v4 is still supported through virus updates  ;) http://www.avast.com/download-update

Exactly,

In light of this, you will be able to run the older versions for a long time to come through updates.  I have a question for the OP.  Do you plan to wait for an indefinite period of time to install version 7, or just wait until the next build or update for version 7 comes out?

Jack

Offline Dynaheir

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »
I have version 7 of avast on my table pc, because it's pc my parents use and they do oftenly unwittingly visit dangerous websites (it's not too long I discovered spybot inside system.

But as Libra I am not yet keen on idea of updating my version 6 on my netbook. I am gonna switch for new windows set in three months. After that I instal avast 7 here.

Libra

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  I can't really say how long I will wait to install version 7, but it will be when I am fairly confident that the upgrade will be successful and without problems.   

Sincerely, Libra

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
I have been using avast! version 7 on my Windows 7 system since it was available and now looking forward to the next update.