Author Topic: accessibility issues with avast! 7  (Read 6102 times)

theghost

accessibility issues with avast! 7
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:41 AM »
hi,
I use jaws for windows
I tried avast 7 all I can say is the installer and interface are totally unusable
i've made a support ticket but have gotten no answer
i'm sticking with avast 6 until it is resolved
will screen reader accessibility be fixed?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:45:26 AM by theghost »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: accessibility issues with avast! 7
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
Why didn't it work ?
Avast alert, running in sandbox, etc. etc.

Surely it would be better to find out why and perhaps help avast find out what the problem is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

theghost

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
hi,
the new gui just doesn't work
the old one worked fine
before avast had the product tested by screen readers and had the issue fixed in a month
also same goes for the installer
i'm not the only one who has this issue
people are switching to different antiviruses because of this problem
hope it gets resolved so I can benefit from the new avast! 7 features

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:53:37 PM »
Honestly, if the only information they have to work on is "the new gui just doesn't work," they aren't going to be able to do much with that generalisation.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

theghost

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »
hi,
what type of info do you need

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
What version of Jaws, what operating system and what avast version free/pro/AIS 7.0.1407, etc. ?

How do you launch Jaws, when you do are there any avast alerts/notices ?
Does it actually open but with problems or crash, etc.

You could check a couple of things in avast logs and see if there is any reference to the executable user to start jaws. The problem being if you have gone back to avast6 then that information isn't going to be available (see ####).

Two possibly elements that may conflict with jaws (though this is based on an educated guess) would be either the Behavior Shield or AutoSandbox (additional protection). These could be selectively Stopped and see if in disabling one of them jaws would work or not.

Or set the AutoSandbox to Ask and if there is an interaction between the two, you will see it and be able to allow it to Run Normally and check the Remember my answer for this program (this adds an exclusion for that executable in the AutoSandbox exclusions).

####
That would have been in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\BehaviorShield.txt or possibly the FileSystemShield.txt (which controls the AutoSandbox).

sleepdeprived

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
I tried to find the logs at one point, with the version 7 disaster. Looked in help under "logs" and found nothing. I knew it had to be there and probably for those who are better at these things, it could have been found. But it would have been nice if the help file told how to find it. Or maybe I needed to look under something less obvious that "logs"? Bah, Humbug.

Avast not only lost me as a client, but the tech person I was working with has a lot of clients asking for a referral to a good security program. He used to recommend AVG and they also messed up a release and he had to fix multiple computers for clients. So he is another lost source of referrals. If he had seen it working smoothly when working with updating my video driver, he might have thought it a program to refer to his clients. Now he wouldn't touch it. If version 6... had been still on my computer, he might have been impressed with avast.

I keep reading the forums, thinking maybe I'll read of some miraculous fix and an update that works fairly well. Time to stop wasting time and get on with more enjoyable pursuits.

theghost

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
hi,
I use jaws 13
I tried avast 7
and yes even in avast 6 the behavior shield and sandbox block jaws which is annoying
I found the solution in disabling the autosandbox feature
and setting an exception  to the behavior shield
the version of avast I tested was 7.0.147
I use windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
and I didn't reboot jaws after the avast installation
anything else?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
You can also set an exception in the AutoSandbox, Settings, this would allow jaws to run but continue to have the additional protection provided by the autosandbox, but set the AutoSandbox mode to Ask.

I'm a little surprised that the behavior shield was involved (though it is certainly one that could interact), so it would appear that jaws, modifies some system settings, triggering the block (and or the autosandbox intervention). I generally change the default Action to take to Ask, as that would make you aware of any possible interaction, allowing you to permit the application and exclude from future interaction.

So if your current solution works, e.g. jaws now runs there isn't anything else needed is there ?

theghost

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »
hi,
no nothing else
just the 7 version doesn't function properly

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »
@ DavidR,

Is Yonatan still involved with issues such as this?  Perhaps he can assist from the Avast side.  I will PM him.

I tried to PM him, but it appears he is no longer there.  Are you aware of someone else who replaced his area of expertise?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:32:08 AM by SafeSurf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »
I honestly don't know, but if he is still with avast, I assume he would still be on the Interface side.

Did you have an email for him and try that ?

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
we will look on this issue
thanks, yonatan.

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
hi, just to make it clear.
is Jaws reads well after you disable the autosandbox feature
and setting an exception  to the behavior shield - as you mentioned?
thanks
Yonatan

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
Hi guys,

I am sorry, there are really accessibility issues with jaws - both in installer and avast UI.

However, pls can you specify what are the problems with autosandbox or behavioral shield? We tried to reproduce any issues have not found any problems.

thanks