Author Topic: Update Problem AGAIN!!!  (Read 14751 times)

Gene54

Re: Update Problem AGAIN!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
Had a few moments here in my office and thought I'd have a look to see if my first post got any responses, wow (!!!!) I see I'm not alone. But what's troubling me is I see lots of back and forth, but nothing from Avast giving us a solution, even at this late date. I posted my first message to this thread at around 6:30am or so this morning and here it is 1:07pm here on the east coast of the US and nothing.

So at this point in time, my machine still has some level of protection, but out of date, and no way to cure the problem except either install a beta development version (and hope I'm not installing additional or even worse collection of problems) or uninstall Avast from "Safe Mode" and start from scratch. Sorry but this is unacceptable!! My background is in top level motor racing (yes I worked in F1 not NASCAR!!) then automotive safety at Ford specializing in child restraints and safety. Neither of those areas would accept this type of response or quality control in my job.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
Why does avast have to reply to you when there has already been a solution posted all the way back at reply 4, i guess the F1 corporation would have sacked you for being so slow of the mark and in the same time period there has been another release as well, all the other teams would be running with the advantage and yours would still be in the pit's waiting for that part you were suppossed to get  ;D

Gene54

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't read, the solution in reply #4 is to install the beta, and hope for the best. Which I did mention as one of the options. But more important this is the type of "snarky" response that just glosses over the real problems.

Oh and I guess you'll never really understand the need to get a job done right the first time till you've stood in your garage at Imola watching the feed from the Japanese TV copter of the doctors cutting Rolland Ratzenberger's chest open trying to get his heart going again. And I don't even want to go to what happened the next day!! Oh and both of those deaths should have never happened.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
There are two solutions in that reply if you read correctly there is also a fix which you run and will cure the update issue.
I suppose the filming Of Rolland hit you hard because you were involved in the safety of the vehical, i dont think that even compairs to myself having to pick my best friends head out of his helmet at Barbagello raceway in a motorcycle accident and we were only 17, theres a couple of saying's that goes with racing - thats racing and shit happen's.

Gene54

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »
Unfortunately I've been there too.

Was at the Glenn in 1974 when Helmuth Koinigg hit the armco, breaking through the bottom two rails with the top rail leveling the car. The corner workers did the same as you with your friend, picking up his helmet with his head still inside. And this was on top the memories of Cevert getting it up at the esses only a year or so before that. That car had magnesium bulkheads, so the fire looked more like the sun had come to earth.

Racing during my youth, the 60s through the 70s, was a very dangerous way of making a living. Literally about one driver a month was killed. But thank goodness, after JB and Steve Nichols did the first "carbon car" at Mclaren, it all changed. My engineering specialty was composites, so I hope I played a small part in that one also.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »
All this death talk is very down putting and of thread so as i mentioned there are two options in that reply so i suggest to run the fix first and if that doesn't solve your issue i recommend updating the the latest beta 7.0.1414 which is what im running and no troubles that iv noticed.

Jack 1000

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
Is this for the R2 Beta only?  If so, it should probably be in the Beta forum, or is this for all versions of Avast 7?

Jack

joe_mama

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
Same problem, error message:  "Last encountered error; The package is broken."

From what version to what version are you updating? Thanks a lot.

I'm using version 7.0.1407.  I just did a manual update with no issues.  Everything seems OK now, Thanks.

Tobias4051

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
Everything is not fine here.

Problem still with updating.

Last update 02/03/2011 11:56
version 120302-0

When update button is clicked in avast UI it does not show any yellow bar, it hangs at the start and says
initializing, please wait...
And does not try to look for updates.
No auto updates.
'Show last popup message' in the right click on icon menu, is gray-ed out

The fix from here does not work (worked a few days ago, with a similar issue, but now does not work.)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94514.0

Only solution seems to be to use the beta 7r2

Reluctantly I will try the beta version.
Would prefer a fix for this issue, or normal (not beta) update.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »
Reluctantly I will try the beta version.
Would prefer a fix for this issue, or normal (not beta) update.
The beta is very stable and really solve some issues. Running smoothly here on Win 7 32 bits.
The best things in life are free.

Tobias4051

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 02:07:26 AM »
Thank you for your reply, thought I would try it, but when I clicked on the r2 download to install, it gave an error.

I posted about it here
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.msg757624#msg757624

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »
I have answered the question you posted in the r2 topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.msg757626#msg757626
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security