Author Topic: cannot get past the welcome screen during system boot  (Read 4968 times)

avg998877

cannot get past the welcome screen during system boot
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »
i just installed avast free antivirus 7..once after reboot..i cannot get past the welcome screen..i had to safeboot en remove avast to get overthis ..please let me know the prob en possible fix for this...thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: cannot get past the welcome screen during system boot
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Given your screen name I suspect the answer is yes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rbdawg

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
i just installed avast free antivirus 7..once after reboot..i cannot get past the welcome screen..i had to safeboot en remove avast to get overthis ..please let me know the prob en possible fix for this...thank you

[Win7 Home Premium x64, Avast user for YEARS]

I had the same problem just now, but somehow got ver 7 installed and the system back working.  Here's the sequence of events:

I had just woken up my machine from hibernation and decided to do the weekly system reboot then.  (Since I mostly rely on Avast to update itself, I had NOT realized that ver 7 had been installed/was waiting to complete the installation process, and the usual Avast pop-up window did NOT appear either).

I went ahead with the restart.  The welcome screen came up, went away and I'm staring at a BLANK SCREEN with just the cursor visible and the disk light flashing a little bit, stopping and then flashing a little bit... there was ABSOLUTELY NO MESSAGE on the screen indicating that Avast was completing an update (a la Windows Update) nor was there a whirling circle indicating background processing.  WTF !?!?

I got tired of waiting and did a hard restart and then pressed Start Windows normally.  The same blank screen came up again after the welcome screen.

(At this point, I still had NO IDEA that Avast was completing an update since THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO MESSAGE INDICATING THIS - Avast bright sparks TAKE NOTE PLEASE !!!)

Fearing something was amiss (virus/malware etc), I restarted in SAFE MODE with all peripherals UNPLUGGED.  System came up fine in safe mode and nothing indicated anything was wrong.

I then restarted the machine in normal mode.  This time around, a message came up saying that Avast had completed an upgrade to ver 7 and Windows came back fine (so far!).

For what it's worth.

AVAST ENGINEERS - WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY FOR YOURSELVES !?!?!

DragonSystem

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »
I had that same problem. I installed avast 7 and rebooted the system as instructed. I got to the Start screen and...it was frozen. Nothing loaded, just the taskbar. I left the pc for 20-30 mins to see what would happen. I came back and it still was in the same state. So I press the Off button and restarted in safe mode w network. I downloaded the uninstall tool that was spoken of on this forum, but first checked to see how avast would react. So I uninstalled it, reinstalled it in safe mode, and it worked. SO I figured it's something I did. I restart and start normally. Once again, it does the taskbar being the only thing loaded. I don't know what's  up with it but it must have some files that aren't friendly when my pc boots up normally. I do have another protection called Comodo. I ran both for years w/o a mishap. Until this can be figured out, I can't install Avast. Wish I could cause the new one looks pretty cool and I wanna test it out.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »
I do have another protection called Comodo. I ran both for years w/o a mishap. Until this can be figured out, I can't install Avast. Wish I could cause the new one looks pretty cool and I wanna test it out.

Any chance COMODO is also a resident antivirus?

Reason I say is because you really should not run two a/v's at the same time.  You can get exactly the problems you are experiencing ATM.  COMODO may not like having this version of avast! running with it, so is blocking install.  Choose one and uninstall the other.  But do it offline.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

icifst

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:19:36 PM »
I've tried installing V7 several times in the compatible mode - and couldn't get past the welcome screen in Win7. Tried running Avast FixUpdate which didn't help either. Also running Comodo Fire Wall and MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (which could find not problems). Had been running V6 in same configuration without any problems. Finally and regretfully had to give up installation attempts. Sure would like to get back to having Avast work for me.

It's now 5 weeks since the problem arose. I've been reinstalling, updating, following other posters suggestions, etc. and there is still no resolution. I've given enough time to this and will not be using Avast in the future. :(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:49:57 PM by icifst »

thejerkling

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
I had the exact same problem as Rbdawg (and some others), including the weird start-ups, no connectivity, etc....though mine didn't resolve as his did (though I made a similar attempt). Couldn't connect through my built-in network adapter, couldn't connect even with a wireless USB adapter (while other machines in the house still could)...tried everything, including trying rollbacks/updates/disable/re-enable of network adapter through the device manager, countless restarts, hard resets of router and modem...

I finally, as an act of desperation, uninstalled my on-board network adapter, uninstalled the Avast items that appeared under the Network Adapter menu in Device Manager, completely uninstalled the on-board network adapter and then downloaded/reinstalled the newest driver installer for it (even though it had already been up to date), and now it is FINALLY working. I'm still waiting for a response to my own post though (regarding whether the Firewall is now functioning correctly, after having removed the Avast items that were appearing in the Device Manager under the Network Adapter header). Considering an uninstall/reinstall of Avast, but trying to hold out for some kind of response to my post before I bother doing that.

Good luck man. My computer was offline for nearly a week before I finally got this thing SOMEWHAT resolved.

As an aside, my main wireless router is bricked...or at least it is tenaciously not working...even after hard resets, power-downs, etc...can't see how this could have anything to do with my computer or Avast, though the issue occurred simultaneously...right now I'm using an old 54MBPS router that I luckily had not thrown out when I got a new one.

Still have love for Avast, but wish there was clearer documentation regarding the Firewall/Device Manager stuff.