Author Topic: incompatiblity between Avast 7 and Deep Freeze  (Read 9323 times)

jsrosalg

incompatiblity between Avast 7 and Deep Freeze
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
Hello, I have a computer with Windows XP SP3, and Deep freeze 6, recently I installed Avast 7, but after some checks, I detected that, Avast inhibit any funtuon to activate the activetae/deactivate D.F., because of that, I am not able to unfreeze my computer.

There is no message, or any other visible condition, just, once avasta is installed (with deep freeze deactivated) to turn off all Avast process, and reinitiate the computer in order to be able to get into the DF configuration panel.

OBviosuly if I freeze the computer, I will not be able to, un freeeze my computer againg.

Those any one got the same condition?.

Thanks in advance for your help

That condition, does not occur with windows 7 and DF 7.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:20:50 PM by jsrosalg »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: incompatiblity between Avast 7 and Deep Freeze
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:06:38 PM »
Not an incompatibility, but avast doing what it should protecting its files and folders. If if remember rightly you can exclude the avast folders in deep freeze. Try a forum search for Deep Freeze and see what it brings up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jsrosalg

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
Not an incompatibility, but avast doing what it should protecting its files and folders. If if remember rightly you can exclude the avast folders in deep freeze. Try a forum search for Deep Freeze and see what it brings up.

As far as I had using DF, you can select disk or partitions, not individual folder, but, there are is some combination or avast configuration to un block the DF?, I found nothing related with DF and the specific condition.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
Well it isn't something that avast can unblock as essentially its self-defence is doing what it should prevent the programs files or folders from being modified. Don't search for too defined a search term as the more you search for the lower the potential hit rate, just look for deep freeze.

Since you say there is "no message, or any other visible condition" it is somewhat hard to say what it might be as the self-defence module would alert if that was what it was.

When does this happen, e.g. when you run the deep freeze executable ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jsrosalg

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
Well it isn't something that avast can unblock as essentially its self-defence is doing what it should prevent the programs files or folders from being modified. Don't search for too defined a search term as the more you search for the lower the potential hit rate, just look for deep freeze.

Since you say there is "no message, or any other visible condition" it is somewhat hard to say what it might be as the self-defence module would alert if that was what it was.

When does this happen, e.g. when you run the deep freeze executable ?

Thanks for your response,

I unfreeze my computer, make all updates, including new Avast version (previously I had Avast 6), after that (while the computer does not restar, I am able to manipulate DF), once I restart the computer, I was not able to manipulate DF. (still the computer is not freezed), in that moment, if I stop all Avast process, and reboot, I can manipulate again DF...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
My problem is there is no information/messages to even hope to say it is happening.

Two areas to look at, the Behavior Shield and AutoSandbox and I'm not even sure if they are going to prove fruitful as they would normally throw up warning screens.

Check the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\BehaviorShield.txt file for any deep freeze related files.

Check the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log\autosandbox.log for any deep freeze related files.

Set both shields to Ask not auto and see if that displays any notice window:
From the avastUI > Real-Time Shields > Behavior Shield > Expert Settings, Action to take, set to Ask.
From the avastUI > Additional Protection > AutoSandbox > Settings, AutoSandbox mode, set to Ask.

jsrosalg

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
My problem is there is no information/messages to even hope to say it is happening.

Two areas to look at, the Behavior Shield and AutoSandbox and I'm not even sure if they are going to prove fruitful as they would normally throw up warning screens.

Check the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\BehaviorShield.txt file for any deep freeze related files.

Check the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log\autosandbox.log for any deep freeze related files.

Set both shields to Ask not auto and see if that displays any notice window:
From the avastUI > Real-Time Shields > Behavior Shield > Expert Settings, Action to take, set to Ask.
From the avastUI > Additional Protection > AutoSandbox > Settings, AutoSandbox mode, set to Ask.

This is what sandbox log said, no behavior log:
05/03/2012 09:12:12 a.m.   Autosandbox candidate: C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze\Install C-0\_$Df\FrzState2k.exe
   [Source: local://C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze\Install C-0\DF5Serv.exe      ]
   [Opened by: C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze\Install C-0\DF5Serv.exe]
    --> Result: Sandboxing (because policy set to Auto).

05/03/2012 11:45:31 a.m.   Autosandbox candidate: C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze\Install C-0\_$Df\FrzState2k.exe
   [Source: local://C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze\Install C-0\DF5Serv.exe      ]
   [Opened by: C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze\Install C-0\DF5Serv.exe]
    --> Result: Sandboxing (because policy set to Auto).

Those entries are from to contigous restart.

Even if I include DF in the trust list, does not allow to open the configuration panel of DF. I presume that DF get blocked or something laike that, because of any Avast action. Also those not display any message related to DF

I will reinstal the computer, takin care of sequence of installation and configuring Avast, previos to freeze the computer. I will let you know what happens.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
The exclusion should work, provided you pout the full path and correct file name in the exclusion.
This C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze\Install C-0\_$Df\FrzState2k.exe is the file to exclude the other file is the one doing the calling of this file.

Set the AutoSandbox to Ask, that allows you to select Run Normally and check the 'Remember my answer for this program' option.

jsrosalg

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »
The exclusion should work, provided you pout the full path and correct file name in the exclusion.
This C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze\Install C-0\_$Df\FrzState2k.exe is the file to exclude the other file is the one doing the calling of this file.

Set the AutoSandbox to Ask, that allows you to select Run Normally and check the 'Remember my answer for this program' option.

Hello, no way to put it work as supouse to be, after the computer get freezed, even using the comand line "commands" for DF, work. Both programs super protect the computer, not allowing unblock or infreeze.

I will reinstall, following the next sequence: install DF, unfreeze the computer, install Avast 7, and configure sandbox and behavior parameters.

I will let you know what happen.

Thanks...

jsrosalg

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »

Hello, no way to put it work as supouse to be, after the computer get freezed, even using the comand line "commands" for DF, work. Both programs super protect the computer, not allowing unblock or infreeze.

I will reinstall, following the next sequence: install DF, unfreeze the computer, install Avast 7, and configure sandbox and behavior parameters.

I will let you know what happen.

Thanks...

At last I did the re installation, after finishing the system install, I installed DF, reboot in thawed state, install avast 7, reboot, and configure sandbox and realtime module, and all work fine, and I rechequed, and the condition does not occurs  with Windows 7 and Avast 7, even I did no configuration in Avast.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
Thanks for the update, happy that it is now working for you.