Author Topic: How can AvastFree be prevented from contacting vl.ff.avast.com?  (Read 6922 times)

Offline Robert Gault

I have been using Avast since version 4 and been happy with it. Now with version 7.0.1407, Avast keeps trying to contact vl.ff.avast.com even though I have turned off every option in Avast that would share data or try to look for data on the Internet. This is very unsatisfactory behavior for any program and more so as Avast offers options to opt out from this type of behavior.

Specifically, updates are manual, Cloud services are turned off, monthly reports are turned off,  there is no on-line account, community features are disabled, and credit alerts are turned off. Maybe it is Avast News Service. If so, I'd like to turn that off as well.

Having undesired connections to the Internet is bad enough under any condition but worse with dial-up were bandwidth is a critical issue.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How can AvastFree be prevented from contacting vl.ff.avast.com?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »
before you turned off everything.......have you tried to sett update to "i only connect using dial-up modem"  ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:33:00 PM by Pondus »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »
The new update, currently in beta (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.0), should solve it.

Offline Robert Gault

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »
igor,

Version .1414 seems to have corrected the problem, although a few more days of testing will be needed for certainty.
Just before installing the beta, I had another of the messages, "you or a program wants to contact vl.ff.avast.com". This time I noticed under Maintenance, that Avast had tried to update the virus definitions even though it was set for manual. That may one of the things that .1414 corrects.