Author Topic: Avast 7 without the cloud?  (Read 13843 times)

nord

Re: Avast 7 without the cloud?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
I've made a short explanation of the most critical points in EULA on Wilders:
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=319578

I hope this will calm some of you here and explain why they have to mention certain things inside EULA.

It looks to me as though the EULA was 100% written by the lawyers and then not run through any editors to clean up some of the unfortunate language. Never a good idea, IMO, to let the lawyers have the unedited last word.

Just my impression here after reading the Avast EULA and a number of competitors' EULAS for comparison.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
And when it wasn't written by lawyers? It has been written by lawyers for lawyers. 99% of users don't care about it. If program has good reputation, good business practices and does it's job well, it's worth using. I can safely say avast! does cover all these 3 points. And pretty much all users including myself follow that rule. In 14 years of working with computers daily i have never read any EULA. Ever. Today after i was analyzing the avast!'s EULA was the first time i read one. I really wonder if ppl don't have anything other better to do in their lives than read such crap as EULA.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Pindakaas

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
And when it wasn't written by lawyers? It has been written by lawyers for lawyers. 99% of users don't care about it. If program has good reputation, good business practices and does it's job well, it's worth using. I can safely say avast! does cover all these 3 points. And pretty much all users including myself follow that rule. In 14 years of working with computers daily i have never read any EULA. Ever. Today after i was analyzing the avast!'s EULA was the first time i read one. I really wonder if ppl don't have anything other better to do in their lives than read such crap as EULA.

Its not like they dont have anything better to do , some people actually care about their privacy ;)

You can have a good reputation , but you never know what is happening behind the scenes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
in all honesty, this is flogging a dead horse, people have tried to assure you there is nothing nefarious or underhand going on, but you still push for more in this and other topics.

If you are really concerned about your internet privacy, pull the plug an sell your computer, while your at it you might want to sell your mobile phone and don't forget to wipe them before you sell them.

There really are more serious issues out there for you to be concerned with, much of it coming out of the USA with a worldwide impact.

I have been using avast for almost 8 years and I have never once though my privacy is at risk, perhaps I'm too trusting, but there really are more serious privacy issues to be concerned with out there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »
The best things in life are free.

nord

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »

RejZor,

I've got news then for you. Lawyers may write the EULA drafts, but they don't always have the final word. In some firms, EULAs are run up the flagpole for others to review before showing up alongside the product. Some firms review, some (obviously) do not. I know this because I spent quite some time as an editor in various tech and non-tech publications and, yes, law firms too. If you don't believe me, just re-read Vic's post about the language in this particular EULA.

Finally, just one reason why people are questioning so much is the sheer magnitude of the changes in EULAs between version 6 and version 7 and the implications of privacy being lost. Think of it as part and parcel of the furor about Google going on at the same time. It's a concern that is in the wind, so to speak.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »
 You ought to look at the Windows EULA if you want to see legalese for they can do basically what they like, I see you haven't got rid of windows.

There are many EULAs that are virtually decipherable, so avast's are almost plain English by comparison.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nord

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
You ought to look at the Windows EULA if you want to see legalese for they can do basically what they like, I see you haven't got rid of windows.

There are many EULAs that are virtually decipherable, so avast's are almost plain English by comparison.

DavidR,

Apples and oranges... reallly. Can't easily get rid of Windows (apps you see), but can change anti-malware providers if I wanted to. But to return to this particular EULA, it seems we are no waiting on clarification from Avast, a process that would have been nice to get earlier on, but better late than never.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »
It isn't apples and oranges we are still talking of EULAs aren't we.

enigmista63

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »
 ;)Hello everyone, but how can I talk and worry about my privacy with AVAST which tries to give me maximum protection for my pc, when my Italian Government has got to be able to access the bank account of each individual without that we do not even we know? but as privacy, privacy has been removed as well as the right to work, maybe there are things more 'important to make sure not to take it with AVAST.
With Avast 's great work you are doing.