Author Topic: TO: All users of avast! 7 with problems  (Read 26038 times)

Yantra

Re: TO: All users of avast! 7 with problems
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »
 8) I was just about to post a request begging for someone to point me to 6.0.1367 Pro install file. Filehippo gives wrong version file when you click on the 6.0.1367 link. Other places have lesser versions or free versions that zip you right along to V7 when you "upgrade". I want Avast to work with Comodo Firewall. I too had the Avast web shield punch holes in my Comodo firewall rules. I realize that Avast is not obligated to make them work together but that is what I want. Thank you for the file J.R. The pictured setup was working fine with proper exclusion settings in version 6 but not 7......

Edit: just tested blocking function in Comodo firewall. Now working again with Avast AV Pro 6.0.1367. CHEESE!  :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:14:53 AM by Yantra »

amomynous

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
Actually, It's really not that fun to fix all the problems. I'm not a tech person. I'm pretty much a novice user and I really would  rather have spent my Saturday doing a lot of other things instead of running scans and doing research that hasn't even resolved my issue yet. When I download a trusted AV program directly from the prompt that was offered from my current trusted AV program, I expect it to run properly. Upgrade! Bigger! Better! Faster! More! Yay! Internet security is of utmost importance.  What I don't expect is to run a boot scan with the results that OLE file is corrupted Error 42144 and CAB file is corrupted  Error 42127. At the risk of revealing my ignorance as a novice, I'm not even sure what that means to be perfectly honest. Is that a virus? Some kind of Trojan or malware? Is it safe? How do I get rid of it? I uninstalled v7 and was using MSE but I'll admit I felt un(under)protected. I tried re-installing v7 and ran a boot scan and got the same results.

In the meantime, I ran Malwarebytes (clean) Superantispyware which couldn't install all the updates (which was weird, never happened before) so I uninstalled and re-installed that. Update successful. Clean scan. I also tried to install HiJackThis. I went to Filehippo and attempted download. Authentication screen said Unknown publisher. (???) I decided to check it out at Cnet. Same box came up with Unknown publisher so I then went directly to TrendMicro website and tried to download it directly from there and was met with the same authentication: Unknown Publisher.  I called my son who is a little more  savvy (or so I thought) and he said it was probably safe so I proceeded.

When I ran  my next boot scan it also said File C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\user Data\default\Cache\f_0015df|>HiJackThis.exe

I uninstalled HiJackthis immediately and  ran all my scans again. Malwarebytes, SASW, Avast v7. All clean. I did a start menu search box scan for the aforementioned that said no items found.

Latest boot scan says:

File C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\user Data\default\Cache\f_0015df|>HiJackThis.exe

File C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Unconfirmed 35784.crdownload|>product.CAB|>MpEngine_Default Error 42127 {CAB archive is corrupted.}

File C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Unconfirmed 35784.crdownload|>product.CAB Error {OLE archive is corrupted.}

My question is: Are these things that I should be concerned about? Is my Chrome compromised? Is my system secure? How do I fix this and do I need to?

That's why I came to the Avast message boards. I hope I'm in the right place. I hope that I can get answers because half my Sunday is gone now too. :(

Thank you!

Hermite15

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
Actually, It's really not that fun to fix all the problems. I'm not a tech person. I'm pretty much a novice user and I really would  rather have spent my Saturday doing a lot of other things instead of running scans and doing research that hasn't even resolved my issue yet. When I download a trusted AV program directly from the prompt that was offered from my current trusted AV program, I expect it to run properly. Upgrade! Bigger! Better! Faster! More! Yay! Internet security is of utmost importance.  What I don't expect is to run a boot scan with the results that OLE file is corrupted Error 42144 and CAB file is corrupted  Error 42127. At the risk of revealing my ignorance as a novice, I'm not even sure what that means to be perfectly honest. Is that a virus? Some kind of Trojan or malware? Is it safe? How do I get rid of it? I uninstalled v7 and was using MSE but I'll admit I felt un(under)protected. I tried re-installing v7 and ran a boot scan and got the same results.

In the meantime, I ran Malwarebytes (clean) Superantispyware which couldn't install all the updates (which was weird, never happened before) so I uninstalled and re-installed that. Update successful. Clean scan. I also tried to install HiJackThis. I went to Filehippo and attempted download. Authentication screen said Unknown publisher. (???) I decided to check it out at Cnet. Same box came up with Unknown publisher so I then went directly to TrendMicro website and tried to download it directly from there and was met with the same authentication: Unknown Publisher.  I called my son who is a little more  savvy (or so I thought) and he said it was probably safe so I proceeded.

When I ran  my next boot scan it also said File C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\user Data\default\Cache\f_0015df|>HiJackThis.exe

I uninstalled HiJackthis immediately and  ran all my scans again. Malwarebytes, SASW, Avast v7. All clean. I did a start menu search box scan for the aforementioned that said no items found.

Latest boot scan says:

File C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\user Data\default\Cache\f_0015df|>HiJackThis.exe

File C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Unconfirmed 35784.crdownload|>product.CAB|>MpEngine_Default Error 42127 {CAB archive is corrupted.}

File C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Unconfirmed 35784.crdownload|>product.CAB Error {OLE archive is corrupted.}

My question is: Are these things that I should be concerned about? Is my Chrome compromised? Is my system secure? How do I fix this and do I need to?

That's why I came to the Avast message boards. I hope I'm in the right place. I hope that I can get answers because half my Sunday is gone now too. :(

Thank you!

nope you're not in the right place at all ;D >>> read the threads titles before you post, and choose an appropriate section / thread , or start your own topic in the right section.

Hermite15

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
lol I think the title of this thread is confusing some newly registered users who think they must post here ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
What I don't expect is to run a boot scan with the results that OLE file is corrupted Error 42144 and CAB file is corrupted  Error 42127. At the risk of revealing my ignorance as a novice, I'm not even sure what that means to be perfectly honest. Is that a virus? Some kind of Trojan or malware? Is it safe? How do I get rid of it? I uninstalled v7 and was using MSE but I'll admit I felt un(under)protected. I tried re-installing v7 and ran a boot scan and got the same results.
It's not really a risk. Just a non-standard packaging in that archive. You can skip it without security being compromised.

TrendMicro website and tried to download it directly from there and was met with the same authentication: Unknown Publisher.  I called my son who is a little more  savvy (or so I thought) and he said it was probably safe so I proceeded.
The file was not digitally signed, which is strange for a Trend Micro file...
Just that using two antivirus at a time could give you conflicts and crashes.
Shortly, don't worry. Archive packaging errors.
The best things in life are free.

amomynous

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 09:53:06 PM »
Thank you for the reply Tech. I appreciate it. I thought that HiJackThis was a anti-spyware program program so it could run with Avast with no conflicts. At the risk of showing my ignorance again, should I un-install MSE and just use Avast? I was under the impression that MSE just basically provided windows security updates or am I confusing that with Windows Defender? Right now I have Windows Defender disabled. Should I be using either MSE or Defender or neither?

Thank you!

iroc9555

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
8) I was just about to post a request begging for someone to point me to 6.0.1367 Pro install file. Filehippo gives wrong version file when you click on the 6.0.1367 link. Other places have lesser versions or free versions that zip you right along to V7 when you "upgrade". I want Avast to work with Comodo Firewall. I too had the Avast web shield punch holes in my Comodo firewall rules. I realize that Avast is not obligated to make them work together but that is what I want. Thank you for the file J.R. The pictured setup was working fine with proper exclusion settings in version 6 but not 7......

Edit: just tested blocking function in Comodo firewall. Now working again with Avast AV Pro 6.0.1367. CHEESE!  :D

I see in your screenshot that you have CIS 5.9  and not only firwall and D+ are enable but you are also running its AV. It is not advisabled to have two AV running at the same time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »
I thought that HiJackThis was a anti-spyware program program so it could run with Avast with no conflicts.
It is and it's fully compatible with avast.

At the risk of showing my ignorance again, should I un-install MSE and just use Avast?
Oh yeah... Both are antimalware programs and could conflict.

I was under the impression that MSE just basically provided windows security updates or am I confusing that with Windows Defender?
MSE is the upgrade of Windows Defender. It updates using Windows Updates, but Windows Updates does not need MSE to download Windows security updates.

You can let Windows Defender enabled or, if you wish, you can also disable it and keep only avast.
The best things in life are free.

amomynous

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2012, 10:29:46 PM »
Thank you for the help!

Yantra

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »

I see in your screenshot that you have CIS 5.9  and not only firwall and D+ are enable but you are also running its AV. It is not advisabled to have two AV running at the same time.

I went through many combos and configs of many AV and firewall apps to get to this trio. I have excludes and ignores for the various services, processes, folders, files and temp folders set in all three. Avast and Malwarebytes both catch nasty web sites or IPs up to bull snot. Malwarebytes is more agressive than Avast. Comodo and Avast both see and report malware, Heurs or PUPs that I leave on my system to confirm the AVs are not not broken. And when I drop the Eicar string it's noticed immediately by Comodo and Avast; Comodo taking the **priority**. They don't kill each other. I also ran the Email test at http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/. Not all tests are for Thunderbird but Avast saw and reported 10 attacks. I do however only have Comodo set to sandbox stuff. I will say that I do admit a slight performance hit but not to say this computer is dragged down to sludge. It may not "be advised" but it's working here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:14:35 AM by Yantra »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »
It may not "be advised" but it's working here.
Post back when the conflict hits. You've been lucky up till now.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet