Author Topic: Unable to start Mail Shield on XP  (Read 17322 times)

Duster6524

Unable to start Mail Shield on XP
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »
Hello everybody and Thanks in advance for any help! :)

XP sp3 up to date-Avast v7.0.1407-Spybot(w/resident on)-Malwarebytes(manual)-SpywareBlaster(manual)

Last night I did a manual check for Avast program update and it installed this latest version and all seemed well until it showed the gui and the mail shield was off. I tried the FIX button and nothing, also tried the other buttons to turn it on and nothing. Click on the mail shield and its window says "Please run the avast! service first to activate this shield". Came here and did a search of the problem and the only reference to it was with Win7, looked it over and tried a couple of things I felt would be ok with my XP install. Tried repair from add/remove program, reboot, not fixed. Tried uninstall, reboot and reinstall, not fixed. Tried the removal program mentioned in the post, many reboots and checks to be sure all is gone(all under safeboot admin) then reinstall while still in safe mode, still not fixed.  :'(
I d/l the reg fix for Win7 that was in the post and looked at it and my reg there and mostly matched except for dependonservice- mine lists tcpip (which makes no sense to me). I had that off in services so tried turning it on and reboot, still the same, not fixed!

Any ideas on what else it could be or is it a bug that will soon be fixed?
Thanks again
Duster (LOVES Avast and recommends it every chance he gets! ;D

Update: I thought it was fixed! but guess not. (I don't see my last post so I will put here)
After reading the help post I uninstalled spybot and reinstalled avast and the mail shield was on, but the sandbox needed another reboot to be active. I had to go somewhere so I waited till I got back to reboot so I could watch and check everything. well, I rebooted and the sandbox is active but now the mail shield is off and will not start. I'm back to where I started, any other ideas out there?
Duster
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:21:58 AM by Duster6524 »

YoKenny

Re: Unable to start Mail Shield on XP
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »
Get rid of Spybot as it has not kept up with the times.
Malwarebytes is way better.
The Spybot Tea-Timer will interfere with avast!

Duster6524

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:13:24 PM »
Hello everybody and Thanks in advance for any help! :)

XP sp3 up to date-Avast v7.0.1407-Spybot(w/resident on)-Malwarebytes(manual)-SpywareBlaster(manual)

Last night I did a manual check for Avast program update and it installed this latest version and all seemed well until it showed the gui and the mail shield was off. I tried the FIX button and nothing, also tried the other buttons to turn it on and nothing. Click on the mail shield and its window says "Please run the avast! service first to activate this shield". Came here and did a search of the problem and the only reference to it was with Win7, looked it over and tried a couple of things I felt would be ok with my XP install. Tried repair from add/remove program, reboot, not fixed. Tried uninstall, reboot and reinstall, not fixed. Tried the removal program mentioned in the post, many reboots and checks to be sure all is gone(all under safeboot admin) then reinstall while still in safe mode, still not fixed.  :'(
I d/l the reg fix for Win7 that was in the post and looked at it and my reg there and mostly matched except for dependonservice- mine lists tcpip (which makes no sense to me). I had that off in services so tried turning it on and reboot, still the same, not fixed!

Any ideas on what else it could be or is it a bug that will soon be fixed?
Thanks again
Duster (LOVES Avast and recommends it every chance he gets! ;D

Get rid of Spybot as it has not kept up with the times.
Malwarebytes is way better.
The Spybot Tea-Timer will interfere with avast!

Update: I thought it was fixed! but guess not. (I don't see my last post so I will put here)
After reading the help post from YoKenny I uninstalled spybot and reinstalled avast and the mail shield was on, but the sandbox needed another reboot to be active. I had to go somewhere so I waited till I got back to reboot so I could watch and check everything. well, I rebooted and the sandbox is active but now the mail shield is off and will not start. I'm back to where I started, any other ideas out there?
Duster

Thanks
Duster

Duster6524

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »
Guess nobody has XP anymore so I can't get any further help on this problem?!  ;)

I've searched the forums and read posts and reinstalled and rebooted till I'm 'blue' in the face. Surely somebody has some more ideas!

Duster

p.s. this is the first problem I've had with Avast in the several yrs. of use.

p.s.s. further info, just checked and it appears web and network shields also are not working.............

p.s.s.s oops.... running but not scanning......
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:30:20 AM by Duster6524 »

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:27:52 AM »
You could try this beta build: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.0
It's running very stable and fixed several issues.
I suggest a clean install: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »
Guess nobody has XP anymore so I can't get any further help on this problem?!  ;)
I run XP but I do not have Spybot.

Duster6524

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »

Thanks DJBone, I'll try it right now!

Duster6524

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »
I run XP but I do not have Spybot.

Notice the winking smiley, I was just being a "squeaky wheel" to get some "grease"!  :)
Although it would have been nice to get some more help without doing that. I've seen many posts and lots of replies to people that are a little "out there" about privacy and similar issues, and seen many posts from people with problems that went unanswered or acknowledged. I realize y'all are busy and do this stuff to help others and for no $, and I'm very thankful for that!
(the statements above are not meant as a 'slam' of anyone, just observations I've made on almost all forums out there)

I'll let ya know how the reinstall works for me. Thanks again!
Duster

Duster6524

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »

Thanks DJBone, I'll try it right now!

update: still not working!?
I uninstalled avast, rebooted into safe mode, ran the cleaner tool and searched for anything avast( asw, avast, alwil, etc.) looked in system32 for the aswrdr (or whatever it was, can't remember right now). All clean, installed avast while still in safe mode, rebooted to normal mode, all shields on but as my last attempt went, the sandbox showed it needed to reboot for virtualization (something like that) so I rebooted, sandbox ok but mail shield off, web and network on but not scanning.
I'm trying to think of anything else I might have that would lock stuff that might cause problems but I think spybot was the only thing I had.

Duster

Duster6524

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »

I'll let ya know how the reinstall works for me. Thanks again!
Duster

YoKenny, still not working. Any thoughts (when you get a chance!)
Thanks
Duster

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
Have a look here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ and see if there are tools for any old AV's you may have used in the past, also double check through your program files and your user files for any old remnants as well as there are usually leftovers laying around somewhere, also note that it's not recommended to install avast in safe mode.

Duster6524

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:56:07 AM »
Have a look here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ and see if there are tools for any old AV's you may have used in the past, also double check through your program files and your user files for any old remnants as well as there are usually leftovers laying around somewhere, also note that it's not recommended to install avast in safe mode.

Thanks CraigB!
I've looked at the website and d/l the uninstallers for stuff I've dealt with in the past. They were never "installed", just used the online scanners from them. Ran the cleaners and all clean except for eset uninstaller said I had "SEP" installed and Kaspersky threw up script warnings from avast. I didn't have eset uninstaller remove what it found 'cause I was not sure what it was. SEP doesn't ring any bells for any program I've ever dealt with and didn't want to screw up my system. The Kaspersky thing was a surprise to say the least! I looked through its log and as far as I can tell it was clean.
Should I let eset remove what it found?

also note that it's not recommended to install avast in safe mode.

Thanks for this info, I was not aware of this. I just remembered in the past that some programs recommend this and thought it might help with this.

Duster

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 06:37:16 AM »
Yes let Eset and Kaspersky cleaners delet what they find as they will only delet stuff that relate's to them, if avast doesn't like any off the removal tools being run then just disable the avast shields while the scans run and turn them back on again when finished.

Duster6524

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 12:32:41 AM »
Yes let Eset and Kaspersky cleaners delet what they find as they will only delet stuff that relate's to them, if avast doesn't like any off the removal tools being run then just disable the avast shields while the scans run and turn them back on again when finished.

Ok, will do. Then I'll try a clean install of Avast again and let ya know. Thanks

Duster

Duster6524

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 02:39:30 AM »

Ok, will do. Then I'll try a clean install of Avast again and let ya know. Thanks

Duster

Nope! :o Still the same. All shields on until I reboot the second time to activate the sandbox, then no mail, web or network shield.

I give thanks to craigb and yokenny, but I'm wondering if I need to deal with dev to fix this. Unless you guys have anymore ideas?

Duster

p.s. I got the latest program update and still the same...........

more info....just uninstalled and clean installed the latest release and still have the same result. arrrghhh!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:10:07 AM by Duster6524 »