Author Topic: Unable to start Mail Shield on XP  (Read 17321 times)

Duster6524

Re: Unable to start Mail Shield on XP
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 01:13:25 AM »
ok new info.
I just uninstalled/rebooted to safemode/cleaner/manually searched registery for avast/alwil/aswrdr/etc. and found a bunch of stuff for all of these. I deleted all except for those with 'legecy' in the key, those would not delete. I had also uninstalled the "driver" aswrdr under device manager/hidden before going to safemode. Then rebooted to normal, reinstalled Avast, and still the same.

Is it possible that those "legacy" entries are the problem?

Duster

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 03:07:52 AM »
Legacy key's shouldn't be an issue but if you want to remove them you'll have to take ownership to delet, all the keys with ASW at the beginning are for avast - right click each key then click permissions then advanced - at the top click owner - in the box click administrator/name then at the bottom tick the box ( replace owner on subcontainers and objects ) and apply and ok, now tick the box full control then apply and ok, now you can right click the key and delet and they'll all have to be done one at a time  ;D then run the search for avast again and you should get another list of legacy keys and do the same all over again ;)

Duster6524

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 03:52:05 AM »
Ok  :o
I'll do it if for nothing else but to just clean up. Found all kinds of stuff that is long gone from my system that needs cleaned too. Thought I was doing a better job than that?! I know, be careful.....  ;)

Did you see my post with info about the aswrdr driver? It is still marked with a problem. Doesn't Avast need it to work properly?

Duster

Duster6524

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
Ok, it can NOT be a registry issue! Whew....my carpal tunnel is in full force now!  ;)

Looked in event logs (see attached). What and where is aswrdr looking?
And why in the setup log do I see reference to mail and web uninstalling, it's supposed to be installing? (this issue was raised in another post but don't remember which one and I didn't see an answer)

Duster

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »
Yes the aswrdr is needed and it should also be removed when uninstalling avast if it has not done so, why this is happening for you iv no idea and this is going to have to be put the the Dev's i think so i'll inform them of this topic and we'll just have to wait and see what they say and if there able to get some more information from you.

Duster6524

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »
Thanks craigb!
Your help has been appreciated, to bad we couldn't get it figured out.

I look forward to talking to Devs.

On the good side.....I've learned a lot more about my system!   ;D

Thanks again

Duster

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »
Your welcome  :), still waiting for the Dev's to pop in on this one though as i'd be rather interested in the cause myself.

Duster6524

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
Your welcome  :), still waiting for the Dev's to pop in on this one though as i'd be rather interested in the cause myself.
Me too!

Well, it's been 9 days and still have problems, and no response from Avast themselves. Forum members craigb, yokenny and mag have been kind enough to respond and try to help. I don't expect an immediate fix, just to know they are aware of it and are/will work with me on it (not say it just to appease me). ;)

If looked at beyond the subject title, you would see that the mail shield is only part of the problem, the web and net shield are not scanning (as they are related to each other in that they use aswrdr and it's not working).

This problem has been brought up here by a user with Win7 (think that was it) and after a team member ( I think it was Tech sorry VLK) looked at his uploaded log file (think that was it) he said it looked like the tdi/initialize failure might be the problem. Well guess what, mine showed the same, so maybe it's not a Win7 prob but an Avast prob across the board. Maybe a comparison of our problems would show the problem.

I'm not an expert (not by far!), I just try to use logic to solve my problems (computer, life, the universe and everything!  ;) 42 btw!).

Well, venting has helped me, we'll see if it helps my computer. Looks like I'll be going back to v6 for a while.

Duster
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:56:47 AM by Duster6524 »

Duster6524

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »
Well, back to v6.0.1367 and apparently somethings still not right. Everything says its running, but mail, web and network are showing nothing scanned. Aswrdr in the hidden devices is showing it's working now. I am almost certain everything was ok before this started. My laptop (XP) shows scans for web and network and both were at same update. (Guess mail shield doesn't work with LiveMail cause laptop shows no scans for mail, no biggie, but the other 2 are!) I've not upgraded the laptop because of this issue on my desktop.

Any chance this helps with a diagnoses of my computers problem?  ;)

I might try to let Avast upgrade to v7 since it's not working right anyway. I'll wait to see if "anybody" wants some info from the current setup before upgrading.

Duster

Sharkbyter

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »
I have the same problem with XP and Outlook 2007.  Where do you down load 6.?? versions?

Duster6524

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 03:42:01 AM »
I have the same problem with XP and Outlook 2007.  Where do you down load 6.?? versions?

Are your web and network shields on but not scanning? I'm not familiar with Outlook 2007 and if Avast will scan your mail, I'm thinking it should. I'm sure somebody will speak up and say yea or nah. Craigb, you still following me?

Here is the link to avast section of old apps.com

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

Hope it helps ya!  :)

Duster

Duster6524

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »

Sharkbyter, I just looked at the post you started on the 16th and my issue and yours are different. Surely somebody will help, there is a lot of experience on these forums.  8)

Duster