Author Topic: Cant delete file named rescache.hit when uninstalling?  (Read 29881 times)

UserA789

Cant delete file named rescache.hit when uninstalling?
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
I had a problem yesterday when Wiondows told me Avast was not running.  Uniinstalled, used aswclear from safemode.  A directory on root of c:/ was left, entitled "avast! sandbox" with multiple directories.  Could not get folder/ file to delete even from safe mode.  Traced the problem to one file called "rescache.hit".  All google searches suggest this is some kind of virus but thought Id come here for answers.  Have reinstalled but dont get why it wont go away, even when using Admin account.

What is it?  Why does it not delete, even with 'aswclear' tool?  Can this be addressed?

screenshot shows directory and file name structure on root of C:

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Cant delete file named rescache.hit when uninstalling?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »
are you able to upload it to www.virustotal.com ?

run a quick scan with Malwarebytes and see what it say

if anything is found post the scan log here

UserA789

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »
I am sure I can upload it, but I was first wanting to find out if it is part of Avast!7.  Also, besides for format/reinstall; how can I delete it?  It acts like its one of those locked files that Windows relies on.  Also, Im sure it must be pure coincidence but my CPU fan stopped working... well, not the fan but the controller for it.  Very strange but Imma blame it on coincidence.

I dont want to go to anyone other than Avast for this answer.  No offense... I just have developed a trusted faith with Avast.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:55:26 PM by UserA789 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:55:06 PM »
BTW... what is this site you recommend AND why isnt it an Avast site?
you upload suspicious file(s) and test it with 40+ malware scanners to see if it is malware

eksample here
https://www.virustotal.com/file/c9850e4697f49d198906d28e393a3973a3db6c58a41fa7cd1a2e6f1e7aabc86f/analysis/

Isnt Avast!7 desiugned to handle it as well?  Why recommend something that isnt my product choice
No security program have 100% detection and Malwarebytes is one of the best removal tools
if you check the Evangelist signatures here you see everyone is using it as an extra scanner

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:04:23 PM by Pondus »

UserA789

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »
I did it but again, Im really an Avast only person usually.  Anyhow, the scanner had some sort of iussue and gave me an "Oops!" pop-up then just got stuck in scanning.

Back to the subject... is this an Avast7! file or not?  If no then I think I need to submit it to Avast for deeper analysis (where is the link on how to upload to Avast server, if anyone can re-point me there).  The only things I can find on it suggest it belongs to a Beta RC releaase of Windows yet Im running FULL version of W7 Pro(64).

UserA789

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »
...if you check the Evangelist signatures here you see everyone is using it as an extra scanner

Most everyone is using opensource software such as Linux and FF, but Iv already posted about *nux builds being exploited more than Win servers last year.  Im not looking for debate but I do appreciate your suggestions.

BTW... here are a couple of links on files with the same names:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/a636c4ce-40c8-4d0a-9d05-052740fea750/
http://f.virscan.org/ResCache.hit.html

UserA789

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »
can this be it

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/a636c4ce-40c8-4d0a-9d05-052740fea750/
I dont think so.   If it is, it doesnt make sense its in the directory it is. Nor am I running RC version(s) of anything.  If they left it in the final release then fine, but again, it doesnt match where it would be.

While we are discussing what it is and where it comes from... how can I delete it without DL the virus called fileunlocker.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

UserA789

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »
...if you check the Evangelist signatures here you see everyone is using it as an extra scanner

Plenty of folks swear by Android and *nux but its become obvious they ARE NOT as secure as made out to be.  Iv posted about *nux builds being exploited more than Windows servers last year already.  Not to mention Avast makes an security suite for Android because Avast recognises, at least with Android, its been taken advatage of by an illicit element.

But Im not looking for debate, just say'n.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:31:21 PM by UserA789 »

UserA789

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
Okay... why cant I delete it?  Why is not NOT in the usual spot it should be as per the socialnet MS link?  As you stated, no scanner is perfect and if its some unknown; which I still doubt, then maybe its a new method not being considered.

TO BE CLEAR... I dont really think its a virus (but I could be wrong).

Either way, its in a directory entitled Avast! Sandbox.  Used all tools present to get rid of the directory and file... none worked.  This should be addressed, not debated wther its a virus or not.  Not to mention, if it was and was 'clever' enough; Im sure someone could be redirecting my upload or even the page Im trying to upload to.

Lets focus on the question "Is this an Avast file; or should I submit it to Avast from another PC?"

BTW... here is a notepad look at the file:

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
Okay... why cant I delete it?  Why is not NOT in the usual spot it should be as per the socialnet MS link?  As you stated, no scanner is perfect and if its some unknown; which I still doubt, then maybe its a new method not being considered.

TO BE CLEAR... I dont really think its a virus (but I could be wrong).
so why not test at virustotal and see ?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »
It is a legitimate folder, I have one on windows 7

Removal of the folder can have an adverse affect on your system

UserA789

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »
This IS NOT the same file... and its in a directory created apparently by Avast (yours is in Windows directory; which Im sure I have one there as well but this one is a directory entitled Avast! Sanbox).  So your example DOES NOT equeal the problem in this instance.  I appreciate your contribution though.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
not tested it a virustotal yet ?

I know a tool that may be able to delete it.......if thats what you want