Author Topic: Cant delete file named rescache.hit when uninstalling?  (Read 29885 times)

UserA789

Re: Cant delete file named rescache.hit when uninstalling?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
not tested it a virustotal yet ?

I know a tool that may be able to delete it.......if thats what you want

I have used a tool called fileunlocker before but Avast, after three or so scans FINALLY identified something inside it... if thats the tool you refer to

I did it but again, Im really an Avast only person usually.  Anyhow, the scanner had some sort of iussue and gave me an "Oops!" pop-up then just got stuck in scanning.

Ya know, I cant help but discuss how 'flamed' Im begining to feel... but we all forget to read all the posts at one time or another... so for now, Ill let it be.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
I have used a tool called fileunlocker before but Avast, after three or so scans FINALLY identified something inside it... if thats the tool you refer to
Nope

UserA789

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Nope
Isnt there a way to 'unloack' the file WITHOUT downloading software that somebody I dont know created.  Not to be all 'paranoid' but this is my 60+ year old ma's PC and it would be unacceptable to end up with some trojan or something.

Whats the file, and where can it be DL from?  What information can be provided on its maker/developer?

Back to the topic.  Why is Avast creating this directory and fileset?  Why does the Avast aswclear not remove it or why is it NOT removed during uninstallation?

Iv submitted a support ticket on this but it seems that only the first paragraph was read and the rest assumed.  They did not address the problem at all... which is getting to be a pattern.  I am going to attempt to phone YoGi about it, but that gets even worse for Americna English comprehension... not trying to sound offensive, just a fact.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:26:12 PM by UserA789 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
if you tested the file at virustotal (there is noting to download) you browse to the file and scan it
you then get a result malware not malware...at the bottom of the result is a more info button that may give the info you want  (if there is a sigcheck it may tell you where the file came from)

the program i suggested in my first post Malwarebytes ( very trustworthy ) is the first tool all the pro malware removers start with
it has a extra tool inside called  FileASSASSIN  you browse to the file and click kill...kabom....it is gone

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:52:21 PM by Pondus »

UserA789

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »
if you tested the file at virustotal (there is noting to download) you browse to the file and scan it
you then get a result malware not malware...at the bottom of the result is a more info button that may give the info you want

the program i suggested in my first post Malwarebytes ( very trustworthy ) is the first tool all the pro malware removers start with
it has a extra tool inside called  FileASSASSIN  you browse to the file and click kill...kabom....it is gone

Pondus...

I appreciate your help in trying to just delte the file, but what needs addressed is what created it (it seems Avast did but ???).  Also, what needs to be addressed is why the aswclear tool DID NOT clean it up when ran in safe mode.  If Avast is creating this file and its directory tree then when uninsatlled; it SHOULD be cleaned up... right?  If regular uninstalltion isnt doing it, then the tool Avast says to use to do the rest SHOULD clean it up... right?

Lets stay on focus.  Youve given great software to go and DL... I appreciate that.

The help Im looking for is more of an explanation of how and why this is being created... and then why its unable to be cleaned up thru Avast recommended methods (if in fact Avast is creating it).  This is a problem that needs more than just non-Avast methods to fix it.

UserA789

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
I uploaded the file to be scanned yet I keep getting a pop-up that simply say's "Oops!".  No reason or anything else... just "Oops!"  Then it seems to just sit there spinning its icon like its still trying but nothing more happens.  But again Id rather focus on if Avast is creating this, and if so, why it isnt getting cleaned up during uninstallition.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »
I uploaded the file to be scanned yet I keep getting a pop-up that simply say's "Oops!".  No reason or anything else... just "Oops!"  Then it seems to just sit there spinning its icon like its still trying but nothing more happens.  But again Id rather focus on if Avast is creating this, and if so, why it isnt getting cleaned up during uninstallition.
Did you ever get a reply as to whether or not that's a folder that should be there in the first place? It would seem to me that with all the avast users, someone should be able to look at his folders and provide a definitive "yes" or "no" answer. The one response you got wasn't looking at the right folder (it was in Windows, vs C:\).

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »
If it is in the sandbox then clearing that data should remove it

As to whether it is a part of Avast or not I can not give an answer

A full Avast uninstall using aswClear should remove it

UserA789

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
If it is in the sandbox then clearing that data should remove it

As to whether it is a part of Avast or not I can not give an answer

A full Avast uninstall using aswClear should remove it

I agree, but as we can read... this didnt happen :(.

Did you ever get a reply as to whether or not that's a folder that should be there in the first place? It would seem to me that with all the avast users, someone should be able to look at his folders and provide a definitive "yes" or "no" answer. The one response you got wasn't looking at the right folder (it was in Windows, vs C:\).

Not yet... gotta check with support but for some reason they misunderstood the question and then attached it to a ticket it had NOTHING to do with.  Im actually getting MUCH better information from here than the support site  >:( I paid for the product from  8) .   But youre right, all examples I can find on this file on the net put it in the Windows directory, nothing about it being in the root and then Iv not heard of anyone having this Avast! Sandox directory on their root of C:\ by default either ??? .  Nor why 'aswclear' wouldnt take care of it.  Even tried a second un-installation/re-installation.  Also, tried changing the folder Sandbox saves in... nothing worked.  Am getting close to just formatting as Iv put a couple things off, due to not knowing why this is happeneing, or if I may be being exploited :-X.

I would love to get with an actual Avast Developer and let them remote me to check it out... I dont think thats gona happen  :'( .  Im gonna try and make time today to call iYogi, but as Iv stated that gets ENTIERLY frustrating :o!!!

Off topic, if you read my thread I put up thanking Avast for Android Avast! and understanding nothing is unhackable, one can imagine that I might be a 'slight' target.  Im putting out information even honest dev's take offense to.  Im licensed, internatioanly, as a business 'open source' support provider; so dont take it as Im some dude against open source projects.  Unfortunatly, the code I support doesn't break down much  8) ... just the OS/OE (operating envirmoent) its running on so I aint gett'n rich anytime soon  :-[.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
I had a problem yesterday when Wiondows told me Avast was not running.  Uniinstalled, used aswclear from safemode.  A directory on root of c:/ was left, entitled "avast! sandbox" with multiple directories.  Could not get folder/ file to delete even from safe mode.  Traced the problem to one file called "rescache.hit".  All google searches suggest this is some kind of virus but thought Id come here for answers.  Have reinstalled but dont get why it wont go away, even when using Admin account.

What is it?  Why does it not delete, even with 'aswclear' tool?  Can this be addressed?

screenshot shows directory and file name structure on root of C:
How did you decide that rescache.hit is the problem? I had avast crash and it left a sandbox folder with multiple directories on c drive. I couldn't delete the sandbox folder and the directories contained within after uninstalling avast. You need to be logged on as an administrator and change the ownership and permissions. From what I can tell, the crash caused it and it hasn't occurred since then.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:41:53 PM by Charyb »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 06:23:52 PM »
Hi UserA789,

Rescache,hit has nothing to do with avast as such but with the Windows7 OS. Rescache is part of the MUI and its runtime diagnostics. These are heavily instrumented in the Beta and RC of 2008 R2 but also exist in previous OS's.  MUI is multi lingual user interface. The application exists as a language-neutral core binary, plus resources that can be further broken down into one file per supported language. It is important for Vista/Windows7-style applications to start up properly. Are you a developer? From here you can use WAIK for global deployment for Windows 7 to get around these problems: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/nl-nl/details.aspx?FamilyID=696dd665-9f76-4177-a811-39c26d3b3b34

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

UserA789

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 11:47:09 PM »

How did you decide that rescache.hit is the problem? I had avast crash and it left a sandbox folder with multiple directories on c drive. I couldn't delete the sandbox folder and the directories contained within after uninstalling avast. You need to be logged on as an administrator and change the ownership and permissions. From what I can tell, the crash caused it and it hasn't occurred since then.
I am not sure there is a problem, yet the Avast! Sandbox folder holding the rescache.hit file seems to point to some sort of problem/exploit happening to Avast.  That, or they need to fix the uninstaller and/or 'aswclear' file to include removing this file.  I tried the admin way, even unlocked the REAL admin account.  CANNOT change the permissions for said file.
Hi UserA789,

Rescache,hit has nothing to do with avast as such but with the Windows7 OS. Rescache is part of the MUI and its runtime diagnostics. These are heavily instrumented in the Beta and RC of 2008 R2 but also exist in previous OS's.  MUI is multi lingual user interface. The application exists as a language-neutral core binary, plus resources that can be further broken down into one file per supported language. It is important for Vista/Windows7-style applications to start up properly. Are you a developer? From here you can use WAIK for global deployment for Windows 7 to get around these problems: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/nl-nl/details.aspx?FamilyID=696dd665-9f76-4177-a811-39c26d3b3b34

polonus

Im sure that is all true, however this version of the file IS NOT in the windows directory, but a direcotory created by Avast.  If you could kindly read the rest of this thread, that would be obvious along with your answer already being looked at as a possibility.  Also, I AM NOT runing a RC release.  This is a final version of Windows 7, but I dont think that matters as for your answer and it not being appilcable to this one.

UserA789

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
Okay...

The Avast Support team hasnt given proper answers either.  Iv asked them about the file and all I get is this:

Dear $user$,
You can leve this file and install avast again.
Best Regards
Richard Srank
AVAST Software a.s.

So to reinstate the problem, Iv asked them this and am awaiting the response:

"I would like to remove it so I can have a comepletly clean instalation.  That is my stated problem.  How can I make this happen?  Iv logged in as an administrator and cant delte it, nor change its permissions.

Also, please detail how and why it is created by Avast so I can inform the Avast forum about the resolution."

Id like to ask others how they would ask support about this problem if Im sounding to confusing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OFF TOPIC - Also, since Iv been warned for "using a threatening tone very often" on the forum, which I dont understand (if its just using caps in certain instances I will stop trying to make clear what Im asking) and would appreciate being shown which posts (via private message so this thread is not taken off course) these are and I will be more than happy to correct them as I would hate for this to be honestly true.

Additionally, I just received a message complimenting my behavior and patience from another user over this very thread, here is their remarks( which simply echo my own feelings):

"Honestly...I can't recall ever seeing so many disjointed responses to an original post such as yours in my life. Do people simply not even bother to read what you posted, or are they intentionally trying to throw your post off track? Amazing. Seriously."

If the user who sent this would like their name up here, please do it yourself.  Right now, I feel very attacked for simply not leting things get out of hand, or flamed and fanned into insulting copmments.  My only hope is that Im not banned for just asking help in correcint my behaviors that seem against the forum policy.  For now, I will be emailing VLK top ask his opinion and point out where Im being abusive in tone.

MAG

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 06:44:54 PM »

"I would like to remove it so I can have a comepletly clean instalation.  That is my stated problem.  How can I make this happen?  Iv logged in as an administrator and cant delte it, nor change its permissions.

If you are absolutely desperate to remove a file that windows won't let you access you could do it from a Linux LiveCD or USB I suppose?

Some micro distro's (eg Slitaz) are a very small download (30 Mb)

UserA789

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »

If you are absolutely desperate to remove a file that windows won't let you access you could do it from a Linux LiveCD or USB I suppose?

Some micro distro's (eg Slitaz) are a very small download (30 Mb)
While removing the file is something I consider of great value; I think it needs addressed how and why it got created, and apperntly by Avast! (if not, why it would be in an Avast! directory).  This is an Avast related issue that deserves a complete answer.

Also, I prefer not to use Linux distro's as one can read from a post about my acknowledgement of Avast understadning nothing is unhackable.