Author Topic: Avast Pro Popup question  (Read 2250 times)

disaksen

Avast Pro Popup question
« on: November 22, 2013, 12:17:42 AM »
I'm working on a clients desktop that has Avast Pro installed on it.  When I received the desktop, it would not boot or recognize the existence of the HDD.  I've repaired the unit, but have a question about the Avast installation.  From time to time, (very random) a large red popup appears indicating the license used with this copy of Avast Pro is not legal.  A link on the popup opens another popup that offers to sell a legal 1, 2, or 3 year license (very cheaply).  I've contacted Avast support by phone, but received no real help from them regarding the situation. 

Avast Pro seems to function (updates and scans) as it should, and indicates "ALL IS GOOD!".  Can anyone tell me if the popup warning/offer is a valid function of Avast Pro?  The owner has indicated Avast should be legal, but if the warning/offer is legitimate, she would like to buy the 2 year license offered in the popup.  If the warning is not a function of Avast Pro, I need to do more work to find/get rid of the issue causing it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Pro Popup question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:20:42 AM »
attach a screenshot

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:26:42 AM »
I tested an issue like this before. The popup is legit when someone pirates Avast (using a license key off the web). It's either a pirated license OR the person who has the license has exceeded the amount of users it's licensed too. The prices you mentioned are correct for that popup, but I don't know if they work or not.

Someone from the Avast team needs to comment on those prices.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

disaksen

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:19:01 AM »
Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly, and for the info provided Alikhan.  Will try to get a screenshot to post for you Pondus.   Am going to contact Avast customer service or billing regarding the pricing (70% discount is pretty cheap) .