Author Topic: MSE detects trojan in avast  (Read 6025 times)

angelina_h

MSE detects trojan in avast
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
hi, wonder if someone could help me i have microsoft security essentials and avast free version 6.0 installed since january 2012 with no problems however since a few days ago everytime i run a full system scan on avast the microsoft security essential box pops up and says it detects a Trojan:WIN32/Comisproc and the item file is always TEMP\_avast_\unp different numbers each time and ends with .tmp i run daily scans with malwarebytes antimalware as well as superantispyware and nothing ever comes up even when i scan with MSE nothing comes up only when i execute a full system scan on avast does MSE pop up with this trojan message each time. Could this be a false positive as i dont understand how avast could have a trojan? thanks and info would be much appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: MSE detects trojan in avast
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
NEVER install two AV programs as this will give all kind of windows errors and false positive detections

if you want an extra scanner, use Malwarebytes or superantispyware

when you have uinstalled the one you dont need, it is recomended to use a removal tool to clear any leftover files that can conflict

run and reboot - Uninstallers – Security Software
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:32:34 PM by Pondus »

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:57:18 PM »
NEVER install two AV programs as this will give all kind of windows errors and false positive detections

if you want an extra scanner, use Malwarebytes or superantispyware
The OP is already running MBAM and SAS (and says so in her post).

For years I have had more than one memory-resident anti-virus program (like avast! and MSE) installed at the same time, and they have happily co-existed. However, rarely do I run them simultaneously, because there can be memory conflicts as mentioned before. At best, running them together can really slow down your system (though not always).

I would be suspicious of a virus warning that one AV program gave about another (as long as both were from reputable sources), because I would guess that some of the code that helps one AV program detect a virus actually contains (safe) snippets that could cause the other program to think it was an actual virus. So angelina_h, that would be my guess as to why MSE is giving you a warning, but if anyone has a more informed answer, I would be happy to read it.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »
You should use the exceptions settings in both programs so as they ignore each other.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
You should use the exceptions settings in both programs so as they ignore each other.
nope...

Read reply from quietman7
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic186533.html

Clash Of The Antivirus Apps - One Head Is Better Than Two
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2003/s1407/38s07/38s07.asp

The best way to avoid trouble is to not install two antivirus programs on the computer in the first place

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:12:05 PM by Pondus »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »

For years I have had more than one memory-resident anti-virus program (like avast! and MSE) installed at the same time, and they have happily co-existed. However, rarely do I run them simultaneously, because there can be memory conflicts as mentioned before. At best, running them together can really slow down your system (though not always).

I would be suspicious of a virus warning that one AV program gave about another (as long as both were from reputable sources), because I would guess that some of the code that helps one AV program detect a virus actually contains (safe) snippets that could cause the other program to think it was an actual virus. So angelina_h, that would be my guess as to why MSE is giving you a warning, but if anyone has a more informed answer, I would be happy to read it.
You might have had two AV's on your system but your lucky then there have been no conflicts or system locks, two AV's can actually lesson your protection and it's not recommended to have two even if one is disabled as there will still be low level drivers running that can conflict.
This is all fairly common knowledge that you dont have two AV's together so it's best to check your facts thoroughly before deciding to pick someone for there comment and offer bad advice yourself  ::)

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:15:47 AM »
two AV's can actually lesson your protection and it's not recommended to have two even if one is disabled as there will still be low level drivers running that can conflict.
This is all fairly common knowledge that you dont have two AV's together so it's best to check your facts thoroughly before deciding to pick someone for there comment and offer bad advice yourself  ::)

From https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=574:
When and why a third-party antivirus software should be uninstalled?

If you want to install avast! antivirus software on your computer, please ensure that there is no any other third-party antivirus software already installed. Running multiple antivirus programs on the same computer can cause conflicts, that usually result in false positive detections, performance degradation and system instability. Therefore it is strongly recommended to uninstall all other previously installed antivirus applications before installing avast! on your computer.

A lot of what is mentioned in this article I agree with (and I had already mentioned some of them in my earlier post), but I don't see anything in the article about 2 AV programs actually lessening my protection (other than maybe the instability mentioned, but a flaky video driver can cause instability). Do you know where there is anything in writing from avast! that says my AV protection will actually be reduced? Again, I'm not recommending this for most people, and I definitely don't suggest you routinely have two memory-resident AV programs running simultaneously. But there are some legit reasons to install a second AV program, and I've never read anything that says that this will increase my chances of an infection.

If you can show me where avast! explicitly says otherwise (but it's got to be something more than "This is all fairly common knowledge"), I'll gladly buy you a veggie burger for your effort!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:19:57 AM by Muad'Dib »

Jack 1000

Re: MSE detects Trojan in avast
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:37:32 AM »
For over a decade,

I have learned from many computer sources whom I trust, NEVER run too Anti-Virus programs, side-by side! You should completely REMOVE ANY COMPETING AV PRODUCTS FROM YOUR SYSTEM before installing new AV.  Some even recommend going to the manufactures website to get the uninstall removal tool, AFTER you remove the competition from Add/Remove programs:

Read the info about how to use the uninstall utilities first.  Use them AFTER Add/Remove programs if you have trouble with Add/Remove programs getting the software off your system, or if you just want all fragments of a past AV program removed.  Than run the removal tool for your competing AV program.  This will remove the competing product completely from the system:

http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

You CAN use an on-Demand Malware scanner.  The only one that I would recommend would be Malware Bytes Anti-Malware.  The free version requires an update before it is run each time, but is a good line of defense.  If you want resident (real-time protection) you can pay a one-time, lifetime license key purchase of $25 USA money.  MBAM for short, runs beautifully with Avast.  However, considering the excellence of Avast 7's  protection, especially with always up to date streaming definitions for File Reputation and Cloud Service updates released instantly. Avast is, or will likely soon be doing just as good as the paid version updates for MBAM for real time updates.

I just use Avast 7 Free, and the free version of MBAM.  You will eventually get conflicts and slow-downs with two AV's on your machine at once, if not right away, eventually.  No problems with Avast and MBAM.

A question for anybody?  How often does MBAM update in the pro version?  Avast wants to get the cloud and file rep services updated 20 times a day.

Jack

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:58:54 AM by Jack 1000 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: MSE detects Trojan in avast
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:09 AM »

A question for anybody?  How often does MBAM update in the pro version? 

Jack
Malwarebytes Pro now does incrementle updates, yesterday i recieved 10 updates.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »
How often does MBAM update in the pro version?
you can tell from the update number, when writing this  v2012.03.07.01   (year / month / date / update nr)

akama1

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »
do not ever install two av programs together as they will conflict and if you some how do... add each av's program files to exclusion list... mse detects avast as virus probably because the detections are mainly the temp files from avast i get that everytime when i used to run immunet alongside avast