Author Topic: Help with p2p  (Read 3852 times)

jringo

Help with p2p
« on: December 07, 2004, 02:32:37 AM »
 :P Just installed Avast 4.5 as AVG 7.0 has been nothing but a disaster. I have 2 questions 1] why is there no exit command for main program. I do not want it running during scan disc and defrag. Any possibility of that?
2]  My p2p programs are Grokster-Shareaza-WinMx and Morpheus. All work but Morpheus...starts,brings up screen, then acts like its minimized to tray. Tray icon is there but when you approach it with mouse it disappears. Process is gone. That happens with p2p,email,outlook,standard all turned to off. Any ides?
Other than those 2 bugs its OK  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Help with p2p
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 03:24:56 AM »
1] why is there no exit command for main program. I do not want it running during scan disc and defrag. Any possibility of that?

The last option of the 'a' blue icon: Pause providers.
It was discussed a lot in the past the possibility of 'killing' the process in background.
Belive us, it's not necessary to do even with scan disk and defrag running. Defrag and scan runs in a low level and won't be interfered with avast.

2] Tray icon is there but when you approach it with mouse it disappears. Process is gone. That happens with p2p,email,outlook,standard all turned to off. Any ideas?
Other than those 2 bugs its OK  :D

I won't call it bugs as you're closing all the providers  ;D
Anyway, ashdisp.exe is the 'icon' on the system tray.
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Welcome to avast forums  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 02:41:04 PM »
When all providers are off, avast! can hardly interfere with your P2P programs. Are you sure this problem is related to avast! installation? Would you mind testing it with avast! uninstalled?

Thanks
Lukor.

jringo

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 11:24:54 PM »
Did as you instructed. Ran repair on Avast  Same thing, Morpheus will attempt to start..Avast shows it is reading Morpheus exe [reports enabled], then quick report of.....ie5explorer/morpheus/content/CrashSaver.exe and programs gui is started and then process fails.
     Now, I notice [since repair} I can ..Stop-On Access Protection--Start Morpheus--re-enable On Access Protection and run program as normal. Yes, I did uninstall and reinstall Morpheus..running Jv16 Power Tools to clean registry after uninstall, ran Ad Aware for malware..none..trend micro housecall [for s__ts and giggles] nothing found.
     I can live with this seamingly unnecessary task of starting Morpheus but it irks me that the other P2Ps run ok. Don't get me wrong Gentleman, I am not bitching about your program at all, but am sure some other user will trash Avast virus just because they cannot run their Morpheus seamlessly with Avast. Like I stated earlier, I ran AVG ver 6 for almost 2 years-very good-caught viruses in p2p sharing programs when others with Norton were formatting. There 7.0 just won't run with my mail programs [outlook express and sending from Microsoft Word 2000...They screwed up in writing Version 7.0--That's why I am here. Your scanning engine may be ridiculously Slow compared to AVG, BUT time means nothing when it comes to protection. I will BUY Avast Pro if this works out. WATCH as your 9000 forum members skyrocket. You have the right stuff AND the abilities to grab a large share of the anti virus market now [with Avast 4.5 free] with AVG frantically trying to fix their "December Goose Egg".  Attached please take a quick look at my Log View report.. Is this O.K.??
WinMe 333mhz 128ram Microland 8gig hd/2gig used /Internet Explore 6 w/tools  / cwshredder/hijackthis/ad aware se pro/system restore disabled/ie host files registry blocked and locked/the grace of GOD!
Thanks for the responses !  Jon

jringo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 11:26:28 PM »
Hers log?