Author Topic: Avast 7 + xp + outlook 2k7 + attachment + sandbox = issue  (Read 1877 times)

Titoo

Avast 7 + xp + outlook 2k7 + attachment + sandbox = issue
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
Hello i'm on windows xp and outlook 2k7 and here the problem i have with avast 7.0.1407 and the sandbox. When i try to open a "pst" attachment directly from outlook, nothing happen (this is with the microsoft powerpoint process virtualize). If i disable the sandbox for powerpoint, the file opens well.

Same happen with a "pub" file, but this  this time, i get a bsod. If i disable the sandbox for microsoft publisher, it opens fine.

another example with windows media player. If wmp is virtualized, and i open a wmv file directly from outlook, wmp opens but says he can not find the file  :-\

This issue never happened with avast 6

Is this issue solved with avast 7.0.1414 ?

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:41:20 PM by Titoo »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Avast 7 + xp + outlook 2k7 + attachment + sandbox = issue
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:01:48 AM »
In my opinion, that is because the sandboxed process is intended to be isolated from other un-sandboxed process. With that, attempting to open a file an from un-sandboxed process to a sandboxed process prevents the sandboxed process from creating connections with the un-sandboxed process.

I hope you get what I mean.

PS. Tongue-twisting effects while reading my post are not intended.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Titoo

Re: Avast 7 + xp + outlook 2k7 + attachment + sandbox = issue
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »
Thanx for the reply, but as is said in my first post, i never had this problem with avast 6.

edit : still not working with avast 7.0.1426

edit2 : the sandboxed process can't acces the temporary outlook attchement folder even after putting the folder in read only in the avast sandbox settings.
edit3 : had to change the outlook temporary folder from "temporary internet files" to a my documents folder, to make it work.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:12:35 PM by Titoo »