Author Topic: Problem with startup after update  (Read 11352 times)

hewlflame

Problem with startup after update
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »
Hi, i'm experiencing a similar problem to the one in this thread. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94876.0 I updated my avast to the latest version 7.0.1426 from 1414 via the program itself, and rebooted my computer. Just to be sure everything went okay, i restarted again. My computer took a very long time to get past the welcome screen in win7. It did after about 20 to 30 seconds, and showed a blank black screen. Again, after waiting for about 20 to 30 seconds, my desktop loaded. However, everything was painfully slow, including my browser speed and Windows reported that firewall wasn't working properly. Thinking i did something wrong, i did a clean wipe of avast using aswclear in safe mode and tried again. The same thing happened after i rebooted twice or thrice. Things returned to normal after i uninstalled avast in safe mode using aswclear again. Does this have something to do with the latest update?

I'm running Windows 7 and the only other antivirus program i have is malwarebytes free.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:33:51 PM by hewlflame »

Titoo

Re: Problem with startup after update
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
hello. I had the same problem after updating to avast 7.0.1426 from the UI. Had to boot in safe mode to disable avast, then boot normally and uninstall-reinstall.

hewlflame

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »
Did you manage to get your avast working? I'm not running Avast at the moment and it doesn't feel right to leave my computer without an antivirus :/

Titoo

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
Yes, after reinstalling it, windows booted normally.

hewlflame

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »
I just tried a clean install of 7.0.1426 again and this time there doesn't seem to be any problems yet. I did run CCleaner after running aswClear and it picked up a couple of registry issues and fixed it. I then tried a clean install of Avast 7.0.1426 Free and did a few reboots to check whether the issues came back, but so far nothing. Everything seems to be working fine so far.  Will report back if the problem comes back, cheers.
Oh, i would still like to know what caused the issue earlier if possible so that i might be able to deal with it if it happens again, thanks.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »
More than likely just a glitch in the updating process, but if it does ever happen again i would try a repair and reboot before going the next step of a clean install.

hewlflame

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
By repair, do you mean the utility fix? Thanks for your reply :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
By repair, do you mean the utility fix? Thanks for your reply :)
No i mean the repair function that can be accessed via clicking uninstall avast in program and features and selecting repair.

hewlflame

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:40:35 AM »
Hi, it appears the problem has showed up again and i followed your instructions on using repair and then doing a reboot. It's working at the moment but i am not sure when it will come back. If it's of any help I was taking a look at windows defender and it was telling me a program had caused it to stop, thus i started it up and ran a scan with it to see if it's working. I then restarted and the problem came back.
Also, I looked into Event Viewer to look for error messages of the most recent occurrence of this problem and found two error messages :
-The Windows Firewall service depends on the Base Filtering Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:
After starting, the service hung in a start-pending state.
-The Base Filtering Engine service hung on starting.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

hewlflame

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:51:29 AM »
Just did another restart after i used repair in the previous post, and the problem came back again. This time i rebooted once more without doing anything and somehow it disappeared. It seems to be coming and going randomly. This started yesterday after i updated to 7.0.1426, and only seems to happen when i am running Avast 7.0.1426.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »
Try disabling defender and see if that helps, defenders not really neccessary anyway since you've got avast watching your back.
Open control panel then defender, click on tools / options / administrator and untick the box for use this program.

hewlflame

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
Hi, i just tried disabling windows defender as you said to. I then rebooted a few times to see if the problem persists, and unfortunately it came back again. I rebooted without doing anything else, and everything seems to be running fine after i rebooted for the moment. Event viewer still shows the 2 error in my previous post.

hewlflame

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
Just tried another clean install after using aswclear and CCleaner, but the problem resurfaces after i reboot upon completing the installation.
I tried rebooting a few times after uninstalling using aswclear and CCleaner to see if the problem is there, but it didn't appear. It only came after i installed Avast 7 again.
No idea what's causing this, any help is appreciated.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »
Have you run removal tools for any other AV that was installed in the past, including the AV that would have been preinstalled on the system, most removal tools can be found here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ reboot after running tools and try to run the repair feature of avast again.
If you have previously run these tools then im out of ideas and it will take one of the dev's to look at what they might be able to do.

hewlflame

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »
The only AVs I have installed in the past and now are malwarebytes, Avast and Spybot S&D. I already uninstalled Spybot S&D a while back with revo and cleaned up with CCleaner.
As for malwarebytes, i've ran mbam clean before and installed the latest as well.
As for any AV that was preinstalled, there shouldn't be any since i did a reformat a while back and installed Avast 6 back then.
The only ones i have running right now are malwarebytes, avast and windows defender.
Also, this problem goes away after a reboot and seems to appear randomly. It also only started happening after i updated from 7.0.1414 to 7.0.1426.
Thanks