Author Topic: Is it just me? Scheduled-scan popups disappear way too fast!  (Read 3181 times)

webhybrid

Is it just me? Scheduled-scan popups disappear way too fast!
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
I'm on Avast 7 Free (on Vista 32-bit) but have been irked by this, version after version, for years.

Whatever settings I have found that look like they might be relevant make no difference... when a prescheduled scan runs, at the finish a popup comes out of the system tray and (pretty much always) displays "No Threat Found." The accompanying voice only announces that the scan has been completed, but it happens AFTER the popup is halfway down. Not useful.

The audio is what catches my attention; I'm not watching my computer every minute. The voice gets me to look, only to see no information. To see what the scan result was, I have to open the UI and click a couple of times. Annoying.

What I want is for the sound to precede the visual popup by several seconds, and/or to be able to choose how long that popup stays up.

Yes, as I wrote, there are some settings that would seem to govern the popup's duration, but they don't - not at all - not this type of popup anyway.

Mostly I am posting this so the developers can see it, but if somebody knows something I don't, I'll be reading.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Is it just me? Scheduled-scan popups disappear way too fast!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
if you right click tray icon there is a "show last pop-up"  in top right corner of the pop-up there is a pin...click it and the pop-up stay on screen

webhybrid

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
if you right click tray icon there is a "show last pop-up"  in top right corner of the pop-up there is a pin...click it and the pop-up stay on screen

Thanks, the "Show last popup message" menu item is a little bit more direct, gets it down to 2 clicks (but I am saying 0 should be necessary), and I missed it before. But I still don't see what good the default sequence - as I described it - is.

I don't want to fuss with a mouse at all for this. Isn't that what the popup and audio are supposed to be for?

The pin-open option??? Not useful IMO, not wanting any everlasting popups from this or any other software.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
The pin-open option??? Not useful IMO, not wanting any everlasting popups from this or any other software.
very nice when asked to post a screen shot of the pop-up here   ;)

webhybrid

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:37 PM »
very nice when asked to post a screen shot of the pop-up here   ;)

When asked??? No one had asked...

Attached is the screen shot though I don't see the relevance. Note there is no information on it about the previous scan, which was performed about 2 hours ago.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
The popup disappears automatically UNLESS there's something detected. In other words, if there's something detected the popup should stay.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
When asked??? No one Asked....
I was not takling about this case.....but general
We often need a screen shot in the virus a worms section

webhybrid

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »
The popup disappears automatically UNLESS there's something detected. In other words, if there's something detected the popup should stay.

Vlk

I understood that. That's fine for when malware is found.

I'm saying the popup first/voice second sequence is backwards. I want the voice to cue me to look at the popup, even if the popup says NO THREAT FOUND.

It would tell me that the scan did happen, that nothing on my system has interfered with Avast that day. I don't want to have to check with a mouse to be sure the scan got done. (Because isn't that what the voice/popup combo should do?? Otherwise why have it.)

Not sure I can say it more clearly. Maybe I should try skydiving.