Author Topic: thunderbird email protection performance degradation  (Read 9323 times)

keywester

thunderbird email protection performance degradation
« on: December 08, 2004, 07:38:40 PM »
I recently updated to v 4.5 home edition.  Subsequently, performance of Mozilla Thunderbird v 0.8 email has seriously degraded, such that previous sub-second response times are now consistently 4 to 6 seconds.
I have perused the Avast help and cannot determine how to resolve this.  For example, a start menu selection for the Avast email protection configuration was specified, yet I do not have this selection.  Also, I am unable to find anything in the settings options that allow me to turn off the email "protection".

At this point, I would like to retain the upgrade, but turn off the email protection, such that my response time returns to normal.  Is there a way to do this?  Or, do I simply need to back out the upgrade?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:thunderbird email protection performance degradation
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 07:45:04 PM »
I suggest you use the search option on this board. Keyword = Thunderbird.

Setup the mail correctly and their should be no problem.

keywester

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 09:27:04 PM »
I had already done exactly that, had about 20-some hits, breifly perused the lengthy threads, but did not see what I was looking for.  It is possible that in my haste I might have missed some pertinent info, but frankly rather than spend the required amount of time to thoroughly read through all of the infromation, I would simply back out the upgrade first.  I was posting in hopes that someone could save me some time.....

lee16

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 09:36:10 PM »
keywester

I am receiving no slowing down of mails with Thunderbird 1.0 and avast 4.5.549, maybe try updating to the latest version of Thunderbird will help.

Also maybe making sure your not using secure authentication or SSL/TSL encryption, this will speed the scans up (i don't think avast supports them).

But if in the end you want to disable mail scanning open up the avast providers screen click Internet mail then press 'terminate' (see below).

--lee
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 09:39:11 PM by lee16 »

Goner

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 09:43:11 PM »
keywester

I am receiving no slowing down of mails with Thunderbird 1.0 and avast 4.5.549,
are you using POP3 or IMAP ?? i can not connect to the IMAP server anymore using 4.5.549 with Thunderbird 1.0 ...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 01:38:33 AM »
IMAP could have some trouble (incompatibility) with Standard Shield in some email clients... I think Alwil is trying to solve this.

The problem seems to be caused by Thunderbird using a special IMAP feature - downloading the messages by pieces - i.e. it doesn't download the whole message, it doesn't even download the particular attachments as whole - but it simply downloads the message cut into smaller pieces, one by one (at least I suppose so - theoretically, it may get the pieces even randomly - one here, one there...).

This feature, unfortunatelly, breaks avast! scanning - the virus is not recognized from a small piece of message only.
The best things in life are free.

inthewildteam

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 02:59:28 AM »
You could try updating T/bird to ver 0.9 (not rc 1.0) it should still be available for download.

It's very stable for me with the latest avast! programme and sig updates.

Spyros

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 09:58:24 AM »
(not rc 1.0)

Version 1.0 is the final version, it is not a RC anymore.
And for me at least, it works much faster than 0.9.

Goner

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 10:34:41 AM »

The problem seems to be caused by Thunderbird using a special IMAP feature - downloading the messages by pieces -

it doesn't even get that far ; signing into the IMAP server and listing the messages already fails ...

Arup

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 11:23:11 AM »
Using Thunderbird 1.0 with Avast Home latest and can tell you that email scanning is way faster than my Outlook XP and finally I can use my Gmail POP access, earlier, Outlook and Gmail POP would not work, you could send mails but couldnt receive any.

keywester

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 06:22:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info - I guess that I will do the Tbird upgrade and see how much that helps.

Lee:  I have the Avast 4.5.459 home version also and my interface looks nothing like what you posted above, and I do not (appear to) have any options or selections to invoke that screen...  It simply says "simple user interface".

Technical:  fyi, the degradation is not only in downloading mail, it occurs in any actions performed, opening an email, even deleting emails.

Anyway, off to Tbird update land... thanx again

lee16

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 06:51:15 PM »
Lee:  I have the Avast 4.5.459 home version also and my interface looks nothing like what you posted above, and I do not (appear to) have any options or selections to invoke that screen...  It simply says "simple user interface"

Ahh, sorry about that keywester, i didn,t really make myself clear i suppose, to open up that windows you need to double left click the "A" button in your taskbar next to your system clock. (see below)
Also before you try disabling the provider, try sliding the bar from high to normal, this may help.

--lee

keywester

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 06:59:50 PM »
thanks lee, but you know, I do not have that little icon for avast in the system area of the task bar - seems like I remember it being there long ago, like with a prior release, but have not seen it for a long time

any suggestion on what I can do to get the icon to reside there (I do have resident protection on and set at high) ?

lee16

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 07:04:10 PM »
Hmm this us unusual, please try a repair of avast, this can be done by going to Start bar>control panel>add or remove programs>Avast! Antivirus>change/remove (button)>Repair.
Then restart/reboot your system, does this bring the icon back?

--lee

keywester

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 07:20:46 PM »
Lee;

I did the repair, rebooted, still no avast icon in the system tray... :-\