Author Topic: Must be able to register WITHOUT create account  (Read 12591 times)

MikeRepairs

Must be able to register WITHOUT create account
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »
Why all the sudden I have to create an account to register? I thought this account feature is optional, so is it or not?
I am not going to register accounts with passwords for customers.
I do not have time in my day for discussions about "what password do you want for your AV sir?"
"Here is your AV password sir..."
I just need to be able to click register and put only name and email like before.

Avast Free version number 7.0.1426 Win 7 64bit

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: Must be able to register WITHOUT create account
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:34:32 AM »
it is optional, u can get the license without creating a new Avast! acc.

this is the web method: http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

i forgot how to do it in the Avast! v7 gui. but i know it is possible (it was posted somewhere...)  :)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »
Hi Mike
'Account' should be optional and up until reading your post I believed it was.
All avast! Free updates I have made were not clean installs. Does this make a difference?

BTW, I have interpreted the purpose of 'Account' in a fundamentally different way. Though it's optional, I have registered my customers using my own avast! 'Account' credentials. That way I can monitor their machines via my 'Account' page and my email address is right there in front of them in the avast! UI.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

MikeRepairs

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »
I install many Avast every day, Since 7 came out, I have had 2 that insist on create account only. Is this a random thing? or is this again added to 7.0.1426. I will find out in a few minutes because I have another clean install going on right now.

I would really like to be able to to register from the Avast GUI by click register and put only name and email like before.

MikeRepairs

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »
Yes, 2 in a row.
Avast Free 7.0.1426 forces you to create an account to register!

Looks like this account feature is NOT optional. I do not like it
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:53:52 AM by MikeRepairs »

MikeRepairs

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:54 AM »
Wonder what happens when you have 600 Free Avast installs tied to 1 account and you get forced into going to paid version because it looks like you have a corporate environment. This could happen if you do this.

BTW, I have interpreted the purpose of 'Account' in a fundamentally different way. Though it's optional, I have registered my customers using my own avast! 'Account' credentials. That way I can monitor their machines via my 'Account' page and my email address is right there in front of them in the avast! UI.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:57:41 AM »
Wonder what happens when you have 600 Free Avast installs tied to 1 account and you get forced into going to paid version because it looks like you have a corporate environment. This could happen if you do this.

It's actually the contrary. We want people to have as many Free AV's in their account as possible.
This way, we can e.g. recognize the REAL recommenders and send them t-shirts. ;)

I mean, no problem with associating multiple Free AV's with the same account at all.
Also worth noting is that while you need the account password to do the initial connection of avast with the account, the password is not stored on the computer and is not requested in the future - meaning that when you hand that computer out to someone, you don't have to worry that it will compromise your account password.

Thanks
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:48:09 PM »
Well, I have nowhere near 600 avast! users on my account but there is a mix of Free and IS.

Vlk The question remains... Is it a glitch or is it now necessary by design to associate with an avast! 'Account' in order to register a new install of avast! Free?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
Vlk The question remains... Is it a glitch or is it now necessary by design to associate with an avast! 'Account' in order to register a new install of avast! Free?

It's by design. You need an account (either existing or new one) to register avast 7 Free.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:46 AM »

It's actually the contrary. We want people to have as many Free AV's in their account as possible.
This way, we can e.g. recognize the REAL recommenders and send them t-shirts. ;)

I mean, no problem with associating multiple Free AV's with the same account at all.
Also worth noting is that while you need the account password to do the initial connection of avast with the account, the password is not stored on the computer and is not requested in the future - meaning that when you hand that computer out to someone, you don't have to worry that it will compromise your account password.

Thanks
Vlk

Funny, I never got my "T" shirts. XXLarge, please. ;)
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Jack 1000

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:26 AM »

It's by design. You need an account (either existing or new one) to register avast 7 Free.

Thanks
Vlk

I am a bit confused.  I registered my Avast account by filling out the registration form for a license key. That's what I have been doing for years.  Is that creating an account?  If I install over the previous Avast 7, will I still need to create an account?  Or is this for clean installs only?   How is this different?  Screenshots to show what is new would help.  Thanks!

Jack
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:09:34 AM by Jack 1000 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 02:39:34 AM »
No it isn't as the avast account (https://my.avast.com) has only recently been initiated and is independent of the registration. It is a portal where you can monitor/manage the different installations of avast that you might have. You can even do that if you aren't at your computer, by logging on to the account.

So the avast account thing may not have been up and running when you last registered.

EDIT typo in URL.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:31:00 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:50:53 AM »
No it isn't as the avast account (https://myavast.com) has only recently been initiated and is independent of the registration. It is a portal where you can monitor/manage the different installations of avast that you might have. You can even do that if you aren't at your computer, by logging on to the account.

So the avast account thing may not have been up and running when you last registered.

Thanks for the pics!  The page is down now for me.  But I don't have a My Avast Account.  So it sounds like this will be like a "My Avast Services"/Information" that you can see at one place by logging in.

Jack
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:46:53 AM by Jack 1000 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 03:43:35 AM »
The page will not be down as such as first you have to have created an account, there should be a sign in or Create Account option from https link that I gave. Once you have an account, then you can link your avast installations to it.

Do you not see anything when using the link I gave ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

skay_baltimore

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 03:53:05 AM »

Thanks
Vlk
Thank you for providing a simple, straight forward response. Could you please explain the purpose/function of this account?