Author Topic: Question about behavior of sending SMS with location after phone got stolen/lost  (Read 2753 times)

rafasr87

I was making some tests, and appreciated if someone could clarifie if this behavior its correct:

1- When I marked the phone as lost, doesnt send any message to the friend phone. I only receive one first GPS position in the portal, and then nothing more.

2- When I put another SIM on the phone, immediatly its send two messages to the friend, one informing the change of SIM, and another, two/three minutes later, with the first location. Also its send this GPS location in the portal. And then, its not send any other message, of any other updated location.

This behavior occurs in two phones that I tested (one is 'avast friend' of the other).
Its this how its expected to work? Because I thought its supossed to send SMS with some frequency to the friend phone, updating the location.

So, if the things its like this way, If I want updated information about the location, the options its only possible manually sending, for example, SMS "2222 LOCATE 5", or activating the continuous track on the portal?

Thanks

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hello,

it's designed to work just as you describe.

1. if you mark the phone lost manually, it doesn't need to contact your friend.
2. Anti-Theft sends the information only once. as you say - repeated locates are only possible if you request it manually.

Werner

rafasr87

Thank you, Werner.

I just want to leave one sugestion:

I see that the SMS command 'locate' makes only receive the location on the phone, I don't receive the location on the portal.
It's different, for example, when the event of turn on a phone with untrusted chip that sends gps location to the friend phone AND to the portal.

Just think that should be interesting when we use LOCATE SMS, to send the location to the portal too. I think that could have some scenarios when I can't acess the portal and need to send the LOCATE command, and is much better have all locations on the portal (for a better tracking) than some on the portal and others on the phone.

Anyway, thanks for the great product that Anti-Theft already is.

TheUltimateG

In my testing i have found that if you don't have a data plan or data is disabled at the carrier level the only way you can track the phone is to use SMS commands. The web portal requires the phone to have a data connection to function and wifi doesn't count.

Keep this in mind if you install this in your kids phone that has data disabled at the carrier level and be prepared to contact your carrier to enable data (fee involved, per line, with some carriers for data) before using the portal. Also keep in mind that some  carriers require the phone to be rebooted before data will be enabled in which case you will need to send the SMS command (PIN REBOOT) to reboot the phone.

I don't bother with the web  portal any more......

MilicaMilica

Dear all, HELP ME! I DO NOT WANT to receive any more worrnings about "stolen" sim card of my houseband! He installed once Anti-Theft, he found his "stolen" phone, he reported all to his phone operater, he got new card but everytime he switch on his phone I GOT 2 SMS "SIM change...."!!
Pleas, help me to turn off those messages!
Than you in advance!

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hello,

please ask him to open Anti-Theft once to mark the phone as "found". The new SIM card will be automatically added to the list of trusted SIM cards.

How to open it?
Open Mobile Security and select "Anti-Theft" and again "Anti-Theft"

or: dial the 4-6 digits avast! PIN, like you would do to call a phone number. the call will be interrupted and Anti-Theft will open.

Werner