Author Topic: Avast Questions  (Read 20500 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »
Maybe it's already answered but i do not know , what data does the product send ?

Again, personal information sent by the product is just the IP address and the Avast ID.
(by "personal", I mean any entity that could allows us to identify you).

Besides that, there's a bunch of other non-personal data of course (all the filerep stuff, URLs, suspicious samples (executable files only), ...).

And i can understand english , only not every single word , what does aggregated mean ?

Let me give you an example.
An IP address is useful to us as it allows us to do GeoIP lookups. I.e. we can find your (rough) location - usually at least country.
And aggregating the data (in this case, by IP address / country) allows us to say something like: In the last 30 days, our dear Dutch users have seen X web domains, of which Y were infected, leading to a total number of Z malware infection attempts.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Pindakaas

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Maybe it's already answered but i do not know , what data does the product send ?

Again, personal information sent by the product is just the IP address and the Avast ID.
(by "personal", I mean any entity that could allows us to identify you).

Besides that, there's a bunch of other non-personal data of course (all the filerep stuff, URLs, suspicious samples (executable files only), ...).

And i can understand english , only not every single word , what does aggregated mean ?

Let me give you an example.
An IP address is useful to us as it allows us to do GeoIP lookups. I.e. we can find your (rough) location - usually at least country.
And aggregating the data (in this case, by IP address / country) allows us to say something like: In the last 30 days, our dear Dutch users have seen X web domains, of which Y were infected, leading to a total number of Z malware infection attempts.

Thanks
Vlk

Ok , thanks for clearing that up  :)

Pindakaas

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
Oh , and 1 last really paranoid question ,

WebRep , it collects the domains u visit , but it does not collect passwords or usernames & other info you enter on that website right ? ( unlikely but i want to ask )

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
Your questions were already answered by Vlk

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95250.msg759717#msg759717

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
Oh , and 1 last really paranoid question ,

WebRep , it collects the domains u visit , but it does not collect passwords or usernames & other info you enter on that website right ? ( unlikely but i want to ask )

oh it sure does ;D ... see, you don't have to worry as long as web rep is running, because from now on, your passwords, credit card number (s) will be retrieved from Avast servers, very handy ... the suite is now an all in one tool 8)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
The WebRep query is done when you're entering the site (so that the rating can be shown) - so no, it doesn't collect any passwords (which you might enter later).

Pindakaas

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »
Your questions were already answered by Vlk

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95250.msg759717#msg759717

That particular question i asked was not.

Pindakaas

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
The WebRep query is done when you're entering the site (so that the rating can be shown) - so no, it doesn't collect any passwords (which you might enter later).

Oh ok , so everything i enter on that website , will not be transferred to Avast right ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
No, it won't. WebRep only checks the domains of the sites you visit.

Pindakaas

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »
No, it won't. WebRep only checks the domains of the sites you visit.

Ok thanks.

Pindakaas

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
Oh 1 more thing , i had answers about the third partys it sends too , and what locations Avast has , but if for example my information gets transferred to the USA servers of Avast , does the USA server have a other EULA then the servers in Czech Republic ?

I know any personal information that may get send to third party's is in aggregated form , but what about the information send to other country's , same thing ?

For example , if i use look at my firewall , it says AvastUI.exe/TCP is connected to the USA , but the status is , CLOSE_WAIT , what does that mean ?

And also AvastSvc.exe/TCP is connected to USA , and the status is = connected.

Im not really a expert in that department so i ask.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:51:11 AM by Pindakaas »

Pindakaas

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »
anybody ?

fergusof

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »
Yes, this thread is old. Wondering if I will continue to use Avast and have been following this discussion regarding Avast's Privacy Policy. This question was not answered here and, in view of ongoing privacy concerns in the U.S.A., I would like to hear an answer from Avast: Does the U.S.A. have a different EULA than the one from Czech Republic?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
The privacy concerns here in the USA are about the over-reach of the NSA, CIA and the FBI.
avast has no control over these entities. As far as I know EULA is the same worldwide.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.