Author Topic: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall  (Read 83851 times)

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast corrupted - will not upgrade or uninstall
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »
i am trying to remove avast as I was one of the victims of yesterdays update bug.. its not running, it wont let me update, or remove it... and I can't even run the awsclear thing because the self-defense mode wont disable..
wojahnhk please try to run this fix first http://public.avast.com/supp/FixUpdate.exe

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »
i am trying to remove avast as I was one of the victims of yesterdays update bug.. its not running, it wont let me update, or remove it... and I can't even run the awsclear thing because the self-defense mode wont disable..

But how, if by the use of aswclear.exe, it has to be done from windows safe mode, where avast doesn't run (that is the purpose of safe mode), the self-defence module won't be running either so it won't be blocking aswclear.exe attempts to remove avast.

So if the fix as suggested doesn't resolve the problem, uninstall avast from add remove programs (if possible), then run aswclear.exe from safe mode, first for avast6 and then for avast7 (if previously installed). Reboot into windows normal mode and install avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wojahnhk

« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2012, 12:03:28 AM »
wojahnhk please try to run this fix first http://public.avast.com/supp/FixUpdate.exe

This doesn't work. I get an error message saying that my computer doesn't have that problem.

wojahnhk

« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »

But how, if by the use of aswclear.exe, it has to be done from windows safe mode, where avast doesn't run (that is the purpose of safe mode), the self-defence module won't be running either so it won't be blocking aswclear.exe attempts to remove avast.

So if the fix as suggested doesn't resolve the problem, uninstall avast from add remove programs (if possible), then run aswclear.exe from safe mode, first for avast6 and then for avast7 (if previously installed). Reboot into windows normal mode and install avast.

It wont let me uninstall from add/remove programs, and I tried going to safe mode, but as the laptop's main screen is broken, I can not see what I am doing there.. I only have about a 3 inch triangle of space in the top left corner that I can actually see on that screen. The only way I can use my computer is with an external monitor hooked up. And for some reason I can not use the external monitor in safe mode. So I guess I am just screwed and will have to wait till I get the money to either replace the laptop screen or buy a new computer.

Tgell

« Reply #79 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:55 AM »

It wont let me uninstall from add/remove programs, and I tried going to safe mode, but as the laptop's main screen is broken, I can not see what I am doing there.. I only have about a 3 inch triangle of space in the top left corner that I can actually see on that screen. The only way I can use my computer is with an external monitor hooked up. And for some reason I can not use the external monitor in safe mode. So I guess I am just screwed and will have to wait till I get the money to either replace the laptop screen or buy a new computer.

With your external monitor hooked up, go into display settings and lower your resolution to something like 800 x600. Also change your refresh rate to something like 75HZ or below. Then go into safe mode. Does this work? Does your laptop have a key combination to enable the external monitor? If it does, try this in safe mode.

wojahnhk

« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:30 AM »

With your external monitor hooked up, go into display settings and lower your resolution to something like 800 x600. Also change your refresh rate to something like 75HZ or below. Then go into safe mode. Does this work? Does your laptop have a key combination to enable the external monitor? If it does, try this in safe mode.

Thank you for trying to help, but unfortunately that did not work.

Tgell

« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2012, 02:53:16 AM »
If you have XP, see if you can uninstall using VGA mode when the safe mode options appear. Do you have the option to do a system restore to a date before the install? Another option that may work is do download the 30 day trial of Revo Uninstaller Pro and see if that can do the uninstall.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:56:23 AM by Tgell »

HellcatM

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2012, 03:26:10 AM »
I'm having a different issue with a corrupt Avast install.  My father was having an issues with his computer where Yahoo messenger wouldn't connect and Windows updates wouldn't install.  I was trying to fix that when I noticed he had some Windows updates.  I tried to install them but kept getting an error.  I ran malwarebytes which found nothing then superantispyware which found a few but nothing major.  Also some of his icons went blank.  I saw the update for Avast so I went to update it and it seemed to update fine.  I went to reboot the system and the screen went blank and wouldn't boot into Windows.  I booted into safe mode and ran iobit uninstaller to uninstall Avast and it looked like it uninstalled fine.  I booted back into Windows no problem.  I uninstalled Yahoo messenger.  I also found the Avast uninstall utility and ran it for Avast 7, rebooted then 6 (thinking maybe there was some stuff left over).  I rebooted again, tried installing Avast 7 which seemed to install fine, opened it to look at it and the Protection Status tab was blank.  I rebooted and the screen went blank again.  So again booted into safe mode and ran the uninstall utility and again it seemed to uninstall fine.  I rebooted into Windows again and noticed a few things.  Windows Defender was disabled and Avast didn't uninstall completely leaving some locked folders.  I tried to unlock them with file assassin with no luck then tried lock hunter also with no luck.  I tried to install another anti-virus and it wouldn't install.   I tried installing Windows updates again with no luck then tried Fixit utilities got an error with them as well.  When I installed Avast again Windows Defender was enabled.  And before anyone asks I did try system restore but the restore latest restore point was the day before and when I ran it it didn't fix the issue.  I ran a couple online anti-virus' which found nothing.

I'm guessing he got a virus but either the damage is done and can't be fixed or I have to delete the rest of Avast.  From Defender being disabled when Avast is uninstalled and re-enabled when Avast is installed it makes me think some of my issues have to do with Avast.  Not being able to install updates or run Microsoft Fixit Utilities may not be Avasts problem.  I'm not sure if I have to reinstall Windows or if there is something I haven't thought about.  The only reason I haven't re-installed Windows is because there are a few programs he uses he can't find the disks for. 

If anyone can come up with any ideas I'd be happy.

Thank you,
Robert

rashutaarbl

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2012, 08:33:41 AM »
Hi guys, I am having this problem for quite a few days now. I read some of the other users problems and I run the FixUpdate and it says "Your avast! installation doesn't seem to have the problem this fix is supposed to solve (code: 2). I also tried to remove via add/remove option on windows and it won't allow me and shows me this " Error reading product data from "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\". Setup cannot continue.

If anyone can help I'd be so happy.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:20 AM »
Read and follow the instuctions here http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility to remove avast in safe mode, reboot to normal mode when completed and install the latest 7.0.1426.