Author Topic: avast! Firewall + uTorrent = stuttering  (Read 10103 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
avast! Firewall + uTorrent = stuttering
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:37:48 AM »
I've posted this before and i will again. There seems to be an issue with avast! Firewall component and uTorrent. Whenever i use both, i get bad mouse lagging and overall OS stuttering after 10 or 15 minutes. But when i remove avast! Firewall (just firewall component) and use Windows Firewall instead, everything is fine even after hours of heavy uTorrent downloading.
And if you're thinking, no i'm not even using P2P Shield...

avast! IS 5.1.864 (File, Web, Network, Behavior, Script, Virtualization)
Windows XP SP3
Acer Aspire One netbook (Atom N270, 1,5GB RAM, GMA950, 500GB 7200RPM HDD)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

13N

Re: avast! Firewall + uTorrent = stuttering
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:08:37 AM »
Hi RejZoR,
I've opened a thread ( http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68758.0 ) about the same issue and got a reply from Vlk that a fix is in the works... If that info helps any. :)
It's a long time issue so I can feel the slight impatience for a quick fix as you might be as well. No other FWs Sec. suites exhibit the same behavior on my system.

Jahor

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »
I had such problem few days ago. It was the situation when all executed programs ceased to respond. Only mouse pointer was available. I had to reboot. And today I discovered this problem with uTorrent. After long working time with avast! Firewall CPU loading by uTorrent process becomes too much. In order to normalize the situation I have to disable Firewall or restart uTorrent. I hope this problem will be solved soon.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
Has anything been done regarding this in 5.1.899 ?

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »

dpoper

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 03:03:06 AM »
Just uninstalled Avast internet security because of this problem. I've tested comodo and agnitum outpost security suite free and both seems to work well. no speed limit issues or computer freezing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:00:17 AM by dpoper »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:21:44 AM »
Even in avast! 7.0 ? I don't have the AIS anymore so i can't test but i'm really curious if they have fixed this now. It's been very long and as far as i remember one of the programmers confirmed the issue. It was a deeper thing so it required more work, but i'd expect such fix to be implemented in v7...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »
Strange... I'm not facing troubles with uTorrent... And weird, my P2P setting was on...
The best things in life are free.

dpoper

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 02:02:29 AM »
Even in avast! 7.0 ? I don't have the AIS anymore so i can't test but i'm really curious if they have fixed this now. It's been very long and as far as i remember one of the programmers confirmed the issue. It was a deeper thing so it required more work, but i'd expect such fix to be implemented in v7...

yeah... I've used the latest version. at first I didn't really thought it could be the firewall. but it wasn't hard to check, just enabling/disabling the firewall confirmed it.
it doesn't related to the p2p shield (uTorrent is disabled by default) just the firewall itself. pretty big issue. I also was surprise to find this post from almost a year and a half ago.
so now I'm using the Comodo firewall + Avast antivirus (both free versions) and I have no issues.

dpoper

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 02:05:10 AM »
Strange... I'm not facing troubles with uTorrent... And weird, my P2P setting was on...

I think it depends on your incoming/outgoing connections and download speed. I have 400 connections open (default for my upload speed) and my download speed is about 1.5 MB per second.

enabling the firewall drops my speed to 350 kb per second ( 1/4 of my full speed) and my computer keeps freezing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:07:04 AM by dpoper »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 02:32:24 AM »
I think it depends on your incoming/outgoing connections and download speed. I have 400 connections open (default for my upload speed) and my download speed is about 1.5 MB per second.
enabling the firewall drops my speed to 350 kb per second ( 1/4 of my full speed) and my computer keeps freezing.
Well, you have more experience with uTorrent than me. Although, I'm using AIS (firewall included then).

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 04:16:41 AM »
I don't care what the default setting says, 400 connections is way too many. You should never allow more than 100 per torrent in my experience. Limiting upload slots to no more than 5 also helps. I have never had any problems with uTorrent and Avast, even with uTorrent checked in the P2P shield settings.

I really feel that uTorrent gets scanned anyway if BitTorrent is checked since they are owned by the same company and are essentially the same under the hood.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 04:19:59 AM »
Anyway, you can set ashQuick.exe to scan the downloaded files.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 07:21:30 AM »
I don't care what the default setting says, 400 connections is way too many. You should never allow more than 100 per torrent in my experience. Limiting upload slots to no more than 5 also helps. I have never had any problems with uTorrent and Avast, even with uTorrent checked in the P2P shield settings.

I really feel that uTorrent gets scanned anyway if BitTorrent is checked since they are owned by the same company and are essentially the same under the hood.

It doesn't matter, if all the other firewalls can handle it, so should AIS firewall...

Dch48

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »

It doesn't matter, if all the other firewalls can handle it, so should AIS firewall...
And in my experience, it does. It also is not the firewall having problems with 400 connections, it's Windows itself. It's not built to handle that. 

I just tested it with three different torrents. There is no difference whatsoever in download speed or overall system performance with AIS on or off and uTorrent selected under the P2P settings.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:33:29 PM by Dch48 »